[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 load temps, is there really an issue with this?

Hello all, yesterday I build a new PC for my brother (well for his girlfriend) with the following parts (everything brand new but for the GPU + WD HDD):

Asus X570 TUF Gaming Plus (latest BIOS updated v2603 )
Ryzen 5 3600 + stock cooler
Curcial Ballistix 2x8 GB DDR4 3200 (DOCP enable without any issues)
M.2 WD Blue SSD 1TB (3D NAND ) SATA
WD Blue HDD 1TB 7200rpm
PSU EVGA 700W 80+ Bronze
EVGA Geforce GTX 750 TI 2 GB

Windows 10 64 bits clean install (v2004). Latest AMD Chipset drivers, Ryzen Balanced PP (with 5% as minimum state), latest GPU, Sound and Lan drivers.

The PC Case was a really old one, really old and cheap, with only 1 x 120mm fan at the front and 1 x 120mm fan at the back. My bro told me If I could make something to trun airflow better, soo I did some small modding on it. The PSU was monuted in top-rear place (as old cases used to be) with the fan extracting the hot air from inside the case to the outside. (Note the front fan was really good for the job, but I ended up replacing the rear fan with a 1500rpm cougar that I had)

After installing Windows, drivers and etc., I run CB-R20 one time to warm up the CPU (hwinfo was runing in the background) and soon as the render finished, I set a 10 mins test and click the Run button.
Benchmark results were always above 36xx points.
All core frecuency was betweeen always 3925 MHz~ 4025 MHz
Max temp (Tctl/Tdie) was 86.3° C.
To my surprise during normal tasks, I never feel the stock fan (top 2000rpm) been unbearable like with my own PC 1 year ago. Im not sure if AMD did something with this fans, or if just the BIOS and Chipset drivers development that made this way better than it used to be.

So the question is, besides loosing some boost speed, is there any problem with runing the CPU this hot a few times a day (let say 3 times top)?
The girl I build the PC for is a web developer pro and she usually (not every day) need to render some small 5 mins clips with premiere. With her old rig: Ryzen 6 1500X + 8 GB DDR4 2400MHz (single channel), use to take around 30 mins for each clip. Im hopping with this new PC rendering time will be lower than that. Thats the most demanding task she perform according to everything she told me about her work.

For the time been we were unable to get a decent coler replacement for the CPU, its really hard to get parts right now with the current pandemic, the only coolers we found were bascially to big for this old case.

I add some pics to show how things turn out, and see What do you guys think about it?

otAfbuO.jpg

FNdQqSr.jpg

7yUU3En.jpg

Nxjw6Pg.jpg

1RQIHJx.jpg

Originally the front fan was bascially useless, been 100% blocked by a solid panel + a bulky display box that showed useless informatin, only had a small intake in the bottom (you can see it in the image above was originally 30mm long). I removed the display, made a rectangular hole in the panel, put a nice mesh on the back and also made small intake at the bottom a lot longer ~110mm.

I must admit Im shoked at how much better the front is working now. The following is the best I could do with this case, cable wise and parts wise, we had a really hard time trying to get this few things:

rAezLIz.jpg

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any reply.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the repply, yeah I thought about that. And the prism should be way better than the stock cooler. Also, just a few mins ago I found a cheap brand that actually have stock in my country: http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/185/name/SE-913-B.

I told my bro about this two option but he said to wait a bit till they can save some more cash, which make sense after the amount of money they spend on the PC parts they got.

Any of this two will fit inside the old case, anything bigger will not. I also like the Gammaxx 300 (which can fit but theres no stock anywhere in here).

Thanks I hope those temps are ok for a few mins every day.

For what its worth I think its fine. Again I'm no expert so take what I say...

Furzumz

Reputable
I dunno much about the temp question so I'll leave that to the others but as you said you're looking for a smaller cooler you could maybe consider the wraith prism that comes with more powerful ryzen chips

If it fits in the case it should cool better than what you currently got in there and they're only about $20 on ebay. They even ship them with 3900x's.

As far as noise goes I couldn't comment on that, haven't heard one in action before.

5nv1zswytor01.png

Reactions: RodroX
I dunno much about the temp question so I'll leave that to the others but as you said you're looking for a smaller cooler you could maybe consider the wraith prism that comes with more powerful ryzen chips

If it fits in the case it should cool better than what you currently got in there and they're only about $20 on ebay. They even ship them with 3900x's.

As far as noise goes I couldn't comment on that, haven't heard one in action before.

5nv1zswytor01.png

Thanks for the repply, yeah I thought about that. And the prism should be way better than the stock cooler. Also, just a few mins ago I found a cheap brand that actually have stock in my country: http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/185/name/SE-913-B.

I told my bro about this two option but he said to wait a bit till they can save some more cash, which make sense after the amount of money they spend on the PC parts they got.

Any of this two will fit inside the old case, anything bigger will not. I also like the Gammaxx 300 (which can fit but theres no stock anywhere in here).

Last edited:

Furzumz

Reputable

For what its worth I think its fine. Again I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt, but people gaming run those CPU's around the same temperature more or less for much longer periods of time when they use the stock cooler

That processor can safely operate up to 95c so ~86c is safe. On the warm side (which is to be expected with stock coolers) but not anything that's gonna destroy it. A better cooler would prolong its lifespan but by the time it dies it will be likely be long obsolete by then.7 or 8 years, if not longer.

Of course those numbers may not be exact, they're a rough assumption / "educated guess" if you will. But I'd be surprised if it doesn't make it past the 7+ year mark

Solution
For what its worth I think its fine. Again I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt, but people gaming run those CPU's around the same temperature more or less for much longer periods of time when they use the stock cooler

That processor can safely operate up to 95c so ~86c is safe. On the warm side (which is to be expected with stock coolers) but not anything that's gonna destroy it. A better cooler would prolong its lifespan but by the time it dies it will be likely be long obsolete by then.7 or 8 years, if not longer.

Of course those numbers may not be exact, they're a rough assumption / "educated guess" if you will. But I'd be surprised if it doesn't make it past the 7+ year mark

I agree. thats why I wanted other opinions. Im really shocked (in the good way) to found out that the stock cooler on this particular ryzen 5 3600 wasnt really that bad (noise wise) as the one that came with my own (a year ago).

Those temps are not dangerous but it's loosing a lot of performance at that time. Generally, Ryzen is happiest with up to 62-65c, above 70c boost is already dropping, at above 75-80c you can already expect 200-300MHz+ lower boost (single and multi)core.
That Idcooling cooler will help but i doubt it will give you ideal temps. Gamax 300 should be only lightly better bu tolerable.

I would move to a better case...the one it is in now is too restrictive especially when closed up tight.

Ryzen cpu's like to be kept cool to achieve maximum performance...you also have the added issue of the hot running x570 chip set with active cooling to keep happy...as well as the gpu heat to remove.

Also with an old case you're losing the ability to access the much faster USB 3 header on the front panel of the case...not a deal breaker but the x570 provides the pin out so why not use it ?

Going cheap on the case instead of investing in a good performing case is a mistake. There are plenty of affordable cases with 3 front intake fans available that will keep things cool.

Last edited:
Those temps are not dangerous but it's loosing a lot of performance at that time. Generally, Ryzen is happiest with up to 62-65c, above 70c boost is already dropping, at above 75-80c you can already expect 200-300MHz+ lower boost (single and multi)core.
That Idcooling cooler will help but i doubt it will give you ideal temps. Gamax 300 should be only lightly better bu tolerable.

Yeah, I know, atleast from my testing the single core frecuency was always 4.2GHz at load, and as I wrote the all core frecuency was never below 3925MHz, which is a bit below the expected 4050MHz that most Ryzen 5 3600 can get with decent cooling. With the current Case, those are the only cooling solutions I could find that can fit inside.

I would move to a better case...the one it is in now is too restrictive especially when closed up tight.

Ryzen cpu's like to be kept cool to achieve maximum performance...you also have the added issue of the hot running x570 chip set with active cooling to keep happy...as well as the gpu heat to remove.

Going cheap on the case instead of investing in a good performing case is a mistake. There are plenty of cheap cases with 3 front intake fans available that will keep things cool.

We didn't go cheap on the case, we just could not buy anything else. Nothing avialable.

Sadly we have two main issues in my country, first theres a total and impresive out of stock for PC Cases (among other PC parts).
We found two local stores (we live in the biggest and most important city) that had one "decent" case available, but they were asking the price of a 1000gr gold bar for them, insane!.

The second issue is bringing stuff from outside, I was able to find some nice Cases on Amazon and Newegg but the shipping and import fees were around 5 times the cost of the PC Case.
For instance a Phanteks P400A that cost U$88 had a final price (with shipping and import fees) of over U$600 (yes that the right number, the shipping and import fees add over U$500 more to the case price - https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Mid...d=1597057989&sprefix=phanteks+,aps,316&sr=8-1). So yeah its not nice to live in Argentina when you need PC components.

As for the GPU and chipset, you don't have to worry, the chipset fan does not even turn on at all, far as I know I would have to plug in a GPU (on the secong pcie slot) and/or an M.2 PCIe v4.0 storage on the bottom slot for the chipset to even warm up a little. And from what Bullzoid and DerBauer said, even using a pcie v4 storage the fan was not necesary at all. Just a nice heatsink would have been more than enough.

Luckily that GTX 750TI does not really get hot, its a double slot card with two big fans (90mm) and a big heatsink with lots of heatpipes. Even under stress test I never saw that card going over 60°C lol.
And this girl does not play too much anyways, basically the only games she does every now and then are Diablo 3, Bloons TD6 and Portal Knight. Which are all not very demanding.

South America situation (specially Argentina) on tech front is not comparable to what happend in the US, Canada, Germany, Spain, etc.
We are way far away from what you can can get or buy. In here you basically pick the best from whats available and be happy with it.

In summ, once this global pandemic allows stock to be back to "normal", Im sure they are going to get a new case, for now they are saving the money to buy a new cooler.

Thanky you both for the answers!!!

Reactions: dorsai