[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 low clocks while gaming

Sep 13, 2020
Hi,
I've noticed that my Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't overclock nearly as much as I would want it to, and I think it is hurting my FPS a bit. When I am playing LoL it stays around 2 - 2.5 GHz, and my FPS is sometimes around 150 when fighting, and when I'm not it's usually around 250-300. Settings are set on ultra, but even when I set it to low, fps barely changes, and the clocks stay the same.
The same story applies to Forza Horizon 4 and Fortnite, but only this time the clock are around 3.4 GHz (My OC is 3.9 GHz). It won't hit the 3.9 GHz no matter what I do in the game at ultra nor at low settings.
Is there any way to lock the processor at 3.9 GHz while gaming, even if it doesn't need that extra power, just to see if I am really losing fps. And lastly, when I run a CPU benchmark it does overclock to 3.9 GHz as it should.
My other specs: GTX 1060, 16 GB G.SKill Trident Z 3200, MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. I am checking my clocks in the Ryzen Master, and I've set the power plan to Ryzen High Performance.
Thanks!

Solution
It's around 35 degrees here where I live so the temps are a little bit higher now, but if I remember correctly, during winter temps stayed below 80 degrees in cinebench. But I never run it at 4.1 GHz because there is almost no FPS improvement when compared to 3.9 GHz so I just run it at 3.9 GHz. GPU usually sits around 60 degrees (GPU is overclocked to the max).
I will try changing it to DX11 in LoL, if it already isn't set to it.
Still too high, try a voltage offset of -0.0750 and a more aggressive fan curve.
Regarding League it is DX9, follow this article on how to enable DX11 https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/news/game-updates/help-us-beta-test-dx11-support-for-league/
it is at least possible your GTX1060 is saturated at current clock speeds anyway, as testing a few years back showed that even an i5-7400 would max out a GTX1060...\

Lower the res and/or graphics details/quality, and see if CPU clock speeds increase to further saturate the GPU under a lesser graphics load commensurately...

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Update BIOS and chipset then change the power plan to Ryzen balanced, you can even go further and install 1usmus power profile which will boost single core performance.

Also 3.9Ghz is not an overclock for the R5 3600 and I believe it is supposed to hit 4.1-4.2Ghz.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Sep 13, 2020
it is at least possible your GTX1060 is saturated at current clock speeds anyway, as testing a few years back showed that even an i5-7400 would max out a GTX1060...\

Lower the res and/or graphics details/quality, and see if CPU clock speeds increase to further saturate the GPU under a lesser graphics load commensurately...
I tried running the games at 720p at low settings, and the fps increased only in Forza Horizon 4 by about 5 fps.

Sep 13, 2020
Update BIOS and chipset then change the power plan to Ryzen balanced, you can even go further and install 1usmus power profile which will boost single core performance.

Also 3.9Ghz is not an overclock for the R5 3600 and I believe it is supposed to hit 4.1-4.2Ghz.
I updated the and the chipset driver 2 days ago when I reinstalled Windows. I will try the 1usmus power plan and see if it helps.
Edit: 1usmus' power plan doesn't help :(
I know that 3.9 GHz isn't a crazy overclock, but if I go 4.1 - 4.2 my temps would hit 90 degrees, so this is the best overclock that I can get while maintaining good temps.

Last edited:

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
I updated the and the chipset driver 2 days ago when I reinstalled Windows. I will try the 1usmus power plan and see if it helps.
Edit: 1usmus' power plan doesn't help :(
I know that 3.9 GHz isn't a crazy overclock, but if I go 4.1 - 4.2 my temps would hit 90 degrees, so this is the best overclock that I can get while maintaining good temps.
90c is not a normal temp with Ryzen 3000, you are supposed to get max temp of 80c @4.1Ghz with the stock cooler. I also assume that the GPU is getting hot too which drastically reduces performances.
Regarding League, try to enable DX11 and see what happens.

Sep 13, 2020
90c is not a normal temp with Ryzen 3000, you are supposed to get max temp of 80c @4.1Ghz with the stock cooler. I also assume that the GPU is getting hot too which drastically reduces performances.
Regarding League, try to enable DX11 and see what happens.
It's around 35 degrees here where I live so the temps are a little bit higher now, but if I remember correctly, during winter temps stayed below 80 degrees in cinebench. But I never run it at 4.1 GHz because there is almost no FPS improvement when compared to 3.9 GHz so I just run it at 3.9 GHz. GPU usually sits around 60 degrees (GPU is overclocked to the max).

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Still too high, try a voltage offset of -0.0750 and a more aggressive fan curve.
Regarding League it is DX9, follow this article on how to enable DX11 https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/news/game-updates/help-us-beta-test-dx11-support-for-league/

Solution