[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 MOBO

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
Hi everybody, I'd like to change my MOBO, the CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600 and the GPU an RTX 2070 SUPER Windforce.
May you suggest me a Mobo for those components? (especially for the CPU).
I know the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX that probably is the best, but there is some other MOBO that I can choose too, because I'd like to save some money on that, an ATX or a Micro-ATX, maybe even a Mini-ATXwith the bios ready for the 3000 AMD series.
Thank you.

Solution
I'm sorry for the confusion
Ah well...in that case...

What I said about the mini-ITX boards still applies if you want to be assured it will come Ryzen 3000 ready with no BIOS updates needed. Try to find a B450M Mortar MAX if you can; it's the best micro ATX board bar none but hard to find in stock. In an ATX board, if you can't do the Tomahawk MAX then an MSI B450 Gaming Pro MAX is also very good and probably a bit cheaper.

For a 3600 another micro-ATX you could probably get away with is a B450M A PRO MAX, which still has a heatsink on the VRM just not as well finned or beefy. The common thread here: all the MSI MAX boards have current BIOS and are good to go as delivered, those listed are probably the best, with the...
May I ask why you want to change motherboards?

Also be aware when you swap motherboards you will have to reinstall Windows due to the issues that will eventually pop up.

Also if you are running a OEM key of Windows you will either have to try and get MS to transfer the Key to the new hardware or buy another OEM license.

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
May I ask why you want to change motherboards?

Also be aware when you swap motherboards you will have to reinstall Windows due to the issues that will eventually pop up.

Also if you are running a OEM key of Windows you will either have to try and get MS to transfer the Key to the new hardware or buy another OEM license.

Okay, I already knew everything I just need some cheapest alternatives to the MSI b450 tomahawk max
I haven't anything yet I'm doing it new.

Okay, I already knew everything I just need some cheapest alternatives to the MSI b450 tomahawk max
I haven't anything yet I'm doing it new.

Sorry just confused, you state you want to change the mobo so I was assuming you already had a system up and running. Unless there is a specific reason you want to change the mobo such as more PCIe slots, or you have some hardware issue changing motherboards wont gain you any performance increase.

As far as which mobo to choose, as you stated the Tomahawk really is one of the better B450 mobos out there. You can also look at the

ASRock B450M PRO4/ASRock B450 Pro4
ASRock B450 Steel Legend
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS

As far as BIOS compatibility if the seller lists the board as support Ryzen 3000 then chances are the motherboard will have a updated BIOS. If its not listed then it may still support the Ryzen3000 unless its old stock with older BIOS.

If that is the case you can always send away for teh BIOS Update Kit from AMD for free>

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Hi everybody, I'd like to change my MOBO, the CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600 and the GPU an RTX 2070 SUPER Windforce.
May you suggest me a Mobo for those components? (especially for the CPU).
I know the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX that probably is the best, but there is some other MOBO that I can choose too, because I'd like to save some money on that, an ATX or a Micro-ATX, maybe even a Mini-ATXwith the bios ready for the 3000 AMD series.
Thank you.
I'm a bit confused... do you currently have a motherboard that you're operating an R5 3600 and RTX 2070 Super on? If so, what motherboard is it?

And also if so: a new motherboard, even a Tomahawk MAX, is highly unlikely to give you any kind of really noticeable performance improvment over what you have now, whatever it is. So unless you're looking for something specific, like more M.2 slots, different number or type of available PCIe slots, premium audio or maybe A-RGB there's really very little to be gained by changing for it's own sake. So letting us know what you're looking for in a motherboard would be very helpful.

And lastly: the only mITX motherboard that can be confidently said to be 'Ryzen 3000 ready' is the Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming - ITX and that puppy's gonna be a lot more than a Tomahawk Max.

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
I'm a bit confused... do you currently have a motherboard that you're operating an R5 3600 and RTX 2070 Super on? If so, what motherboard is it?

And also if so: a new motherboard, even a Tomahawk MAX, is highly unlikely to give you any kind of really noticeable performance improvment over what you have now, whatever it is. So unless you're looking for something specific, like more M.2 slots, different number or type of available PCIe slots, premium audio or maybe A-RGB there's really very little to be gained by changing for it's own sake. So letting us know what you're looking for in a motherboard would be very helpful.

And lastly: the only mITX motherboard that can be confidently said to be 'Ryzen 3000 ready' is the Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming - ITX and that puppy's gonna be a lot more than a Tomahawk Max.

I'm sorry for the confusion, what I want to say is that I have a PC but I'm completely changing it because I have an old CPU (i5-7600) and I'd like to upgrade it, so the mobo that I have now is an MSI h270m bazooka that doesn't support Ryzen CPU, about the RTX 2070 I'd also like to change to it because now I have a GTX 1060 amp edition that is 3/4 years old.
And I'd like to know if there are some cheaper mobo compatible with those components.
yes and I also have an M.2 SSD, a 1TB SSD Samsung 860 QVO, and a WD 1TB HDD.

I'm sorry for the confusion

What I said about the mini-ITX boards still applies if you want to be assured it will come Ryzen 3000 ready with no BIOS updates needed. Try to find a B450M Mortar MAX if you can; it's the best micro ATX board bar none but hard to find in stock. In an ATX board, if you can't do the Tomahawk MAX then an MSI B450 Gaming Pro MAX is also very good and probably a bit cheaper.

For a 3600 another micro-ATX you could probably get away with is a B450M A PRO MAX, which still has a heatsink on the VRM just not as well finned or beefy. The common thread here: all the MSI MAX boards have current BIOS and are good to go as delivered, those listed are probably the best, with the A Pro MAX trailing a bit.

Also very good is Asrock B450m Pro 4 and it's full size ATX variant B450 Pro 4. But you have to make sure you're getting current stock with an updated BIOS for Ryzen 3000.

Solution

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020

For a 3600 another micro-ATX you could probably get away with is a B450M A PRO MAX, which still has a heatsink on the VRM just not as well finned or beefy. The common thread here: all the MSI MAX boards have current BIOS and are good to go as delivered, those listed are probably the best, with the A Pro MAX trailing a bit.

Also very good is Asrock B450m Pro 4 and it's full size ATX variant B450 Pro 4. But you have to make sure you're getting current stock with an updated BIOS for Ryzen 3000.
Okay, thank you, one last thing what do you think about the
Asrock B450M Steel Legend
and about the

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

Last edited:
Okay, thank you, one last thing what do you think about the
Asrock B450M Steel Legend
and about the

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
It would probably work well enough for a 3600 but I'd avoid the Aorus Elite on principle. Gigabyte has tried to fool the buying public by doubling the number of inductors in the VRM, making you think it has 8 phases when it's a 4 phase with potentially degraded performance because of the paralleled inductors.

The B450M Steel Legend would do well enough for a 3600 too. But as with any B450 (or X470) board other than those in MSI's MAX lineup you have to be certain you're not getting old stock that isn't Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready.