[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 not going full speed while recording in 60fps and playing a game on High settings

mavus

Commendable
Jul 15, 2019
In the photo you can see my CPU speed is set to 4200mhz (max that the Ryzen 3600 can go) it was normally set on 3600 but I wanted to overclock it to its max speed. When i changed it to 4200mhz it didnt do anything. Here is a video of me recording in 60fps on highest settings, fps is not capped in game and the task manager and amd ryzen master are showing different cpu speeds.( Both not the highest that my cpu can go)
Here is the link to the video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLi0O1_imw&feature=youtu.be

unknown.png

When it comes to overclocking the CPU, trying to judge performance in-game is unrealistic; try running pure CPU stuff like SuperPI or timing a Blender CPU-only render. Also, a tool like CPU-Z is better at detecting the current speed of a CPU; if you're not running the "Performance" Windows power profile, the CPU will only raise its clock speed as much as the software seems (that's the keyword - games are bad at anticipating their CPU needs) to be asking for.

What settings did you use when overclocking the CPU? Have you ever entered the Bios to set your overclock or did you only use that Asrock tuning program thinking it was all you needed? For the 3600, 3.8Ghz is the CPUs base speed, you have to make sure you have things set properly in the bios before you will see an overclock.

Besides the CPU not boosting to 4.2Ghz, what else is the main concern? Low fps in game? It looks like your system doesn't need more CPU to record at 60fps when playing Fortnite. Your CPU is being bottle-necked by your GPU running at 100% shown in your video. What GPU are you running? It must be something lower end like a GT 1030 or GTX 950 for it to be at 100% like that unless you are also recording using the GPU for the encoding to the output file and not your CPU.

mavus

Commendable
Jul 15, 2019
What settings did you use when overclocking the CPU? Have you ever entered the Bios to set your overclock or did you only use that Asrock tuning program thinking it was all you needed? For the 3600, 3.8Ghz is the CPUs base speed, you have to make sure you have things set properly in the bios before you will see an overclock.

Besides the CPU not boosting to 4.2Ghz, what else is the main concern? Low fps in game? It looks like your system doesn't need more CPU to record at 60fps when playing Fortnite. Your CPU is being bottle-necked by your GPU running at 100% shown in your video. What GPU are you running? It must be something lower end like a GT 1030 or GTX 950 for it to be at 100% like that unless you are also recording using the GPU for the encoding to the output file and not your CPU.
i've tried going in bios i cant find the setting to overclock it, but yea i have 1050 ti and i was using gpu to record

i've tried going in bios i cant find the setting to overclock it, but yea i have 1050 ti and i was using gpu to record
Before actually attempting it, I would suggest reading a guide or watching youtube guides on how to properly overclock your Ryzen 5 3600. I would not even overclock unless you have a need for it in production workloads, like getting a slightly faster final video encode for upload. You will only see a max of 5% extra fps, or 126fps if you are already running 120fps. It's a game by game increase though, so obviously not all games will be the same.

You should also look at switching from recording with your video card to CPU recording so you don't reduce in-game fps by using too many GPU resources. You didn't say what program you are using to record with the GPU so I can only assume it's Nvidia Share (formally ShadowPlay.)

mavus

Commendable
Jul 15, 2019
Before actually attempting it, I would suggest reading a guide or watching youtube guides on how to properly overclock your Ryzen 5 3600. I would not even overclock unless you have a need for it in production workloads, like getting a slightly faster final video encode for upload. You will only see a max of 5% extra fps, or 126fps if you are already running 120fps. It's a game by game increase though, so obviously not all games will be the same.

You should also look at switching from recording with your video card to CPU recording so you don't reduce in-game fps by using too many GPU resources. You didn't say what program you are using to record with the GPU so I can only assume it's Nvidia Share (formally ShadowPlay.)
I use OBS Studio, whenever I try to use the CPU encoder OBS cant stay above 30fps while recording/streaming

TRENDING THREADS