Question Ryzen 5 3600 Not Sleeping in Ryzen Master

davidty1996

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017
Hi guys, I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with B450 Tomahawk Max. I was wondering why are my cores not sleeping anymore. in the 1st month I saw 4 cores were sleeping. Now I checked again their all at 400mhz idle. (Not sleeping) my clock is stuck at 3.9ghz.

I put it on 0% and still not sleeping
Assuming you've updated to latest BIOS and latest Windows 10 updates (to ver 1909), also make sure you've updated to latest AMD chipset drivers.

DO run Ryzen Balanced Power plan. I would not run the Minimimum Processor state below the 99% setting AMD distributes it with. Reason being that tries to let Windows take back power management and idling but the processor does that much better itself and will drop voltage to lower values when it can. AMD has stated this, not me.

Also, in BIOS, set the following:

AMD Cool-n-Quiet to ENABLED
Core CPPC to ENABLED
CPPC Preferred Cores to ENABLED
and
Advanced C-States to ENABLED.

davidty1996

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017
Assuming you've updated to latest BIOS and latest Windows 10 updates (to ver 1909), also make sure you've updated to latest AMD chipset drivers.

DO run Ryzen Balanced Power plan. I would not run the Minimimum Processor state below the 99% setting AMD distributes it with. Reason being that tries to let Windows take back power management and idling but the processor does that much better itself and will drop voltage to lower values when it can. AMD has stated this, not me.

Core CPPC to ENABLED
and
So What should I put in the Minimum processor state?
If I enable AMD Cool n Quite it does not affect performance?

davidty1996

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017

Core CPPC to ENABLED
and
Can you explain what is the purpose of
Core CPPC to ENABLED
and

Can you explain what is the purpose of
Core CPPC to ENABLED
and
These are settings that enable the processor to both use it's built-in power saving features and work with Windows 10 to boost to maximum rated clocks efficiently. They should be enabled in their default or auto settings but many motherboard manufacturers don't do it so it's a good idea to enable them.

Here's one article that describes how they work with the processor. You can use the power plan if you want, it does help a little bit, but even if not do use the Ryzen Balanced plan installed with the AMD chipset drivers at least.

Last edited: