[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 odd voltages and temperatures

akramo58

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015
Hello, I only recently noticed that my Ryzen 5 3600 never goes below 1 volt (everything is on stock, voltage is on auto). And according to an AMD Employee who posted on reddit about a year ago, "Please note that it is totally normal for your Ryzen to use voltages in a range of 0.200V - 1.500V -- this is the factory operating range of the CPU. "
I have never seen my CPU go below 1 volt even during idle, and not only that, the temperatures rise out of the blue during load and idle, it tends to go from around 41 degrees to 68-70 degrees during idle, and about the exact same while playing games, maybe slightly higher, around 79 degrees. (Stock cooler).
Any ideas? I've turned on Ryzen cool n quiet, and everything is on stock.

Solution
Which power plan is in use in the Windows settings?

Is Precision boost overdrive enabled in the BIOS?

Make sure you have these set as follows as well.

Cool N Quiet - Enabled (If this setting is not available in your BIOS, just worry about the rest)

Core CPPC - Enabled

CPPC preferred cores - Enabled

Advanced/Global C-states - Enabled

Precision boost overdrive (PBO/PBO2) - Disabled (Unless you have high end cooling installed. Also, standard boost profiles like Precision boost (Non-overdrive) and XFR2 should be left enabled.)

Cool N Quiet - Enabled (If this setting is not available in your BIOS, just worry about the rest)

Core CPPC - Enabled

Precision boost overdrive (PBO/PBO2) - Disabled (Unless you have high end cooling installed. Also, standard boost profiles like Precision boost (Non-overdrive) and XFR2 should be left enabled.)

Solution

akramo58

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015

Core CPPC - Enabled

I'm using Ryzen balanced power plan, and PBO is not enabled. I've enabled Cool n Quiet (it was on auto at stock, enabled it and it made no difference so I can only assume everything settings wise is fine)
I'm not entirely sure if this is an issue or if I'm overthinking this, though my cooling is kinda bad considering I only have 2 case fans and a stock cooler, however, the voltages don't really seem to make much sense to me.
And apparently Ryzen CPUs tend to have high idle temps due to the random boosts it does (still doesn't make much sense considering my voltages never go below 1.02)

What voltage are you looking at, exactly, and what monitoring utility are you using to determine the voltage?

Is your BIOS firmware up to date?

Make sure Global C-states in enabled in the BIOS as well along with the other settings I mentioned. Don't assume they are correct, check to see that they are.

What version of Windows are you running?

akramo58

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015
What voltage are you looking at, exactly, and what monitoring utility are you using to determine the voltage?

Is your BIOS firmware up to date?

Make sure Global C-states in enabled in the BIOS as well along with the other settings I mentioned. Don't assume they are correct, check to see that they are.
I use both Ryzen master and HWMonitor to check my voltage, and my BIOS are up to date, I'll give my BIOS a check for those options.