[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 or 7 2700x

Oct 19, 2019
Hello, I plan to build a PC and both CPU are the same price right now in amazon.

At first I was gonna buy the 3600 with B450 Tomahawk but there are problems regarding the bios and I don't really wanna break the mobo (If I fail to update the bios or something happens) and the B450 Tomahawk Max in amazon says it will ship between 1-3 months, I don't really wanna wait that long..... If there's really no choice I might the buy the B450 Tomahawk and update it myself.

I've been searching around the web people are saying that the 2700x is better for future games?

Also I like to use the web while playing games I also might go stream in the future.

The parts I will use:
GPU: RTX 2060 Ventus 6G OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz (2x8)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
SDD: Crucial 1TB
PSU: MWE 500W 80 Plus Bronze
Which one should I choose?
Thanks!

Solution
Depends what you mean by "a lot", I frequently have 20+ programs open in the background (Chrome/FF with 20+ tabs each, Discord, Twitch, Skype, Thunderbird, Word, Excel, PDF reader, Visual Studio, Xilinx ISE, DipTrace, etc.) while playing games on my i5-3470 and don't have any issues as far as I am concerned. Having 32GB of RAM helps quite a bit with keeping everything happy - nothing short of failing hardware ruins performance worse than hitting the swapfile.

Problems only start if you have misbehaved applications aggressively hogging CPU time or if you are particularly sensitive to occasional dips when something in the background requires more attention than usual. Between six faster cores or eight slower ones though, the difference...

Z0xy

Commendable
Jun 5, 2019
Because:
1.Has more cores witch can help in certen scenarios
2.Is cheaper
3.You do not have to buy X370 motherboard for 2nd Ryzen gen, but for 3rd gen it's really recomended
4.2nd gen is also a bit older so it's probably more compatable!

Oct 19, 2019
Because:
1.Has more cores witch can help in certen scenarios
2.Is cheaper
3.You do not have to buy X370 motherboard for 2nd Ryzen gen, but for 3rd gen it's really recomended
4.2nd gen is also a bit older so it's probably more compatable!

Thank you for your help!

I still have a week to decide which one I will buy, but i'm leaning towards the 2700x.

Reactions: Keviny Oliveira

InvalidError

Titan
The 3600 has better single-threaded performance which gives it the advantage in many games over the 2700X. For more heavily threaded stuff, the two are roughly even. If gaming is your primary purpose, the 3600 should be better in most cases.

The 3rd-gen's main disadvantage is patchy out-of-the-box support on mainstream boards due to AMD/ASMedia being so freakin' late getting mainstream chipsets to market so board manufacturers can release a new wave of products with obvious out-of-the-box support.

Oct 19, 2019
The 3600 has better single-threaded performance which gives it the advantage in many games over the 2700X. For more heavily threaded stuff, the two are roughly even. If gaming is your primary purpose, the 3600 should be better in most cases.

The 3rd-gen's main disadvantage is patchy out-of-the-box support on mainstream boards due to AMD/ASMedia being so freakin' late getting mainstream chipsets to market so board manufacturers can release a new wave of products with obvious out-of-the-box support.

Yes, I saw a lot of videos about the 3600 and it's a beast CPU and I really wanna get it but amazon won't just allow me :((
At worst I might have to wait :/!!

Btw if I get the 3600 and have a lot of backgrounds apps open like wallpaper engine, discord, youtube(browser) will it heavily affect the performance when I'm playing a game? (not all the time though)

I am a new to pc building please forgive me.

InvalidError

Titan
Depends what you mean by "a lot", I frequently have 20+ programs open in the background (Chrome/FF with 20+ tabs each, Discord, Twitch, Skype, Thunderbird, Word, Excel, PDF reader, Visual Studio, Xilinx ISE, DipTrace, etc.) while playing games on my i5-3470 and don't have any issues as far as I am concerned. Having 32GB of RAM helps quite a bit with keeping everything happy - nothing short of failing hardware ruins performance worse than hitting the swapfile.

Problems only start if you have misbehaved applications aggressively hogging CPU time or if you are particularly sensitive to occasional dips when something in the background requires more attention than usual. Between six faster cores or eight slower ones though, the difference still won't be much.

Solution
Oct 19, 2019

Problems only start if you have misbehaved applications aggressively hogging CPU time or if you are particularly sensitive to occasional dips when something in the background requires more attention than usual. Between six faster cores or eight slower ones though, the difference still won't be much.

Guess I'm getting 3600, I'll just wait for it.