[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 or R7 3700x for rtx 2080

MagBoi

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
I am really unsure, about what cpu to get for my upcoming build. At first I was gonna get a r5 3600 with a x63, but realized if I didn't buy the watercooler, I could afford a 3700x, and got totally lost in all the options. So, should I get 3600 with watercooler, 3600 without watercooler, 3700x stock, 3700x with a not too expensive after market cooler or something completely different.

I'm pairing the cpu with a 2080 super, and mostly game, with editing every once and while. While I game I like to have a lot of browsers (including youtube videos,) discord and Spotify open at the same time. In terms of overclocking, I'm not planning on overcloking it crazy, mostly depends on what I end up choosing, obviously if I go stock it's not like I can overclock it much, but if I do go with the water cooler I'll oc the 3600 to at least 4 GHz

Last edited:
Solution
It makes sense to my brain because the cpu's in both the new PS5 and Xbox Series X are 8 core 16 thread parts. Many of the new games are going to be optimized to run on a similar system. That's why i'd go 8 core rather than 6.

jwcrellin

Reputable
The 3700X included cooler is sufficient for optimized running with PBO enabled. I have had zero problems with mine while gaming at high fps with multiple programs running in the background as I have a triple monitor setup.

jwcrellin

Reputable
It makes sense to my brain because the cpu's in both the new PS5 and Xbox Series X are 8 core 16 thread parts. Many of the new games are going to be optimized to run on a similar system. That's why i'd go 8 core rather than 6.

Solution

MagBoi

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019

Yeah that's a good point... okay.... you convinced me! I'll give amd more money dammit! I will be the proud owner of a ryzen 7 3700x with the stock cooler.

And thank you by the way :)