[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 Overclock led to black screen.

May 7, 2020
CPU OC led to black screen and VGA LED.

So I decided to do a simple manual overclock so I headed into the BIOS and set my Ryzen 5 3600 to 4.0GHZ and putting the voltage to 1.250V and proceeded to save and restart(This was all I did). So after that all I got was a black screen and the only thing I noticed was a white led next to my DRAM which according to the MOBO manual indicates something to do with the VGA. I did everything, resetted the CMOS, reseated everything, unplugged all the cables and plugged them back in and even changed GPU(a working one) but nothing worked. When I pressed the power button the fans spun and the led turned on like normal but I was still getting a black screen, the white vga led and no power to the mouse and keyboard or any other peripheral. PLEASE HELP!

My Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon Vega 56
Asus B450-F Strix
256GB SX8200 M.2 SSD
1TB A400 SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda
CoolerMaster Masterwatt 650W

Solution
It's not going to hurt to try it, it's a B450 mobo so should work. When you do so, make sure to reset the cmos, again, before booting, just to make absolutely sure the bios gets forced to do a hardware reset start, since the hardware is going to be recognised as changed.
May 7, 2020
Reset CMOS again - shut 'er off, turn off the psu, remove the coin battery from the mobo, press and hold the chassis power button for 30 seconds.
Put the battery back in, psu turn on, etc.
Yes I'm afraid I did all of that you said. I even removed everything from the motherboard (components,cables,cmos,i/o) and let it sit for around 2 hours but the problem persists. Is it possible that it is the CPU because I am sure I did nothing out of the ordinary to fry it or anything...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's been multiple posts on Asus white vga light around the web that I've seen, and so far the only permanent fix has been to get an old gpu, pre-700 series nvidia or old R9 or prior amd, and temporarily plug that in. It's got something to do with all the new technologies requiring a 'handshake', usb/hdmi/dp being the most abundant. The older gpus used a vga link up, so like when using dvi or vga, the monitor comes up almost instantly but hdmi/dp takes a second or two longer because of the handshake required to connect. No handshake = vga white light on the mobo.

Using the older gpu basically flips the switch on the mobo and will allow you to update the bios (follow the directions exactly, starting with your current bios and installing newer versions and media as required, do NOT just install the latest), which will include microcode fixes for the white light.

Reactions: RodroX
May 7, 2020
No, it doesn't sound like the cpu - that's WAY too quick. Something else gave out instead.

Do you have another gpu to test with?
Did you do the Vega 64 bios flash?
Yes I did the Vega 64 bios flash months prior and worked with no problem. The Vega 56 card did have a bios switch so I did try reverting to the 56 bios but that didn't work. I have also tried it with a GTX 1050 but to no avail, I took out a very old AMD card from an old office machine but only tried the DP and not DVI since my monitor does not support it.

May 7, 2020
There's been multiple posts on Asus white vga light around the web that I've seen, and so far the only permanent fix has been to get an old gpu, pre-700 series nvidia or old R9 or prior amd, and temporarily plug that in. It's got something to do with all the new technologies requiring a 'handshake', usb/hdmi/dp being the most abundant. The older gpus used a vga link up, so like when using dvi or vga, the monitor comes up almost instantly but hdmi/dp takes a second or two longer because of the handshake required to connect. No handshake = vga white light on the mobo.

Using the older gpu basically flips the switch on the mobo and will allow you to update the bios (follow the directions exactly, starting with your current bios and installing newer versions and media as required, do NOT just install the latest), which will include microcode fixes for the white light.
Ok so I have this really old AMD card, the ones used on office prebuilt but I assume you are asking me to connect it through DVI or VGA right? The card only has output for DVI and DP and since my monitor does not have a DVI input I only tried it with DP but that does not work and I still have the white light. I do have a GTX 1050 with VGA output so I reckon I'd trying finding an old VGA cable and try that. If not I will try borrowing a monitor that has DVI input and try and hook that up.

May 7, 2020
Hope that works. If it doesn't, document everything you've tried then contact Asus support and see what their answer is, because you've pretty much done as much as humanly possible from a consumer standpoint.
Thank you. Do you reckon I should try putting in an older Ryzen 5 2600 from my brother's system and see if it could possibly boot up or should I just save myself the time?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not going to hurt to try it, it's a B450 mobo so should work. When you do so, make sure to reset the cmos, again, before booting, just to make absolutely sure the bios gets forced to do a hardware reset start, since the hardware is going to be recognised as changed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS