[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 overcloked to 3948.62 temp jumps between 4-12 seconds

btryons

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020
So ı own a stock cooled r5 3600 for 7 months now and it started to act weird.

Today for the first time ı got a shutdown cause of high temp. Never had something like this before, only random 5700xt driver crashes. After that crash firs thing ı did was dowland Core Temp. Then ı started testng it and saw 102c on rainbow 6 siege the game me and my brother play around 60-70 hours a week ı was shocked. Right now while writing this its goes 60-80 randomly jumping ı saw max 80c and min 61c

I didnt cleaned by pc in a while so after the 102c rainbow match ı closed my pc faster than ı could think and started cleaning it, we dont have screwdriver on our house so the cpu fan didnt even got cleaned in 7 months ı tired cleaning with a vaccum cleaner and it did better then ı though ı tried to clean everything as much as ı can and its still like this i didnt tested rainbow again yet but now the max temp raised to 81c while on chrome writing this.

cpu is going around 76c (appox) back to 63c (usually the stop temp) and jumping again and droping again ı will test rainbow 6 too right after ı post this

this wasnt like this before :/ Help!!

Edit1:

specs:
650W 80+ psu
8x2 3200mhz corsair pro rams
asus rog strix rx5700 xt
asus b450 tuf motherboard
stock wraith stealth cooler

Just did the testing on ranbow 6 got some screenshots but ı dont know how to send them thing are looking same 105c max and it was 93c (appox) its been a while ı didnt look at my xcpu temps (4 moths maybe) and after a crash ı found out my pc is burning

Its summer around here 33c outside its hot inside too ı dont have airconditioning on my room. (gpu is runing normal)

Edit2:

I dowlanded ryzen master and temp's was much better?!?!

Max temp was 90c at 340fps didnt saw temp jumps ı dont know why? its at 62c writing this like normal.... and saw a jump while writing (63c to 72c) this but keith12 said they are normal

I limited it to 144fps and now its around 85-88 and even less. I didnt drop my oc or anything 85 is ok for a dusty stock cpu cooler ı ll clean it up soon and probably will buy a new cooler. After 3 hours of gaming or something close to that ım sure ı will see 90+ degrees till ı buy a new cooler or clean it up.

Last edited:
Solution
ı didnt overclocked the cpu we bought it like this and the idle temps was always high like 64c etc. but while gaming it wasnt going too up around 74c max 81c (what ı remember 4 months ago)

Your ambient temps are high, so you can expect an additional 10c on the temps I outlined above. so idle should be about 40-45c and so on etc.

However, knowing your cooler now, this is pretty much the problem. THe Wraith although a great stock cooler, is barely good enough to handle the boost speeds on 1-2 cores, never mind an all core OC like you have done. You simply need to get a better cooler. You can get some good thermal paste too, which may help bring temps down another 5-10c. The two in combination (cooler + paste) should bring your...
Hey there,

The temps jumping 10 degress or so, is actually pretty normal for a 6c/12t CPU. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

With that said, your OC is producing too much heat. You should reduce the overclock and/or voltage to reduce the heat.

What cooler are you using?

How are you OC'ing? With Ryzen Master or through bios? Bios is the only way to do it so that it will be stable. Ryzen Master is useful, but only that.

Ideally you should be able to hit 3.9ghz with a vcore of about 1.3v.

You should use something like HWmon/Info to monitor your temps on the fly. Use Prime95 Small fft's to test your CPU for max temps at a given voltage.

Ideally your temps should be about 30-35c idle, 45-70c gaming, and 70-80c for max stress testing.

It very well may be that your CPU isn't the best OC'er, so you have to find a common CPU mhz, with temps below 80c, so that your OC is stable.

If you want to be certain, run your system at stock and measure those same temps. Tell us the difference between stock temps and OC.

Also. list your full PC specs.

btryons

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020
I wouldn't OC the 3600 with the AMD stock cooler, so I suggest to revert back to stock speed.
Use AMD Ryzen Master to check temps.
OCing will required a beefier cooler.
Could you post your system specs and components.
ı didnt overclocked the cpu we bought it like this and the idle temps was always high like 64c etc. but while gaming it wasnt going too up around 74c max 81c (what ı remember 4 months ago)

Your ambient temps are high, so you can expect an additional 10c on the temps I outlined above. so idle should be about 40-45c and so on etc.

However, knowing your cooler now, this is pretty much the problem. THe Wraith although a great stock cooler, is barely good enough to handle the boost speeds on 1-2 cores, never mind an all core OC like you have done. You simply need to get a better cooler. You can get some good thermal paste too, which may help bring temps down another 5-10c. The two in combination (cooler + paste) should bring your temps to a reasonable level, outside of your ambient temps.

I'm from Ireland, and even in summer we barely touch 20c, so my temps never really move that much from one end of the year to another (we also have mild winters).

edit: Also , apologies. I thought for some reason you had an OC on your CPU ( I may have been mixing threads when answering)

edit: As a short term solution/fix, you could manually set your vcore in the bios. You could try set it at 1.3v (using offset is best) and see if that brings your temps down. It's called undervolting, and is like an OC in revers. The objective to get to a lower vcore, but still maintaining max boost frequency. It may not be any cooler, but it's worth a try. Don't worry you won't damage the CPU by doing it, or anything.

Last edited:
Solution
Whoever OCed the system should not have done it with the default cooler.
That's why the idle temps were high.

Which case do you have?
Does restoring the CPU to stock speed fixes the issue?
Check if the cooler has become loose.
You could try moving it, while warm, clockwise or counterclockwise.

Aug 9, 2020
Been reading this thread, resonates somewhat with my problem.
I plan to OC my r5 3600 (haven't bought it yet), so I need an appropriate cooling solution.
Should I go for liquid cooling or.........?
GPU is RTX 2060 Ventus
Also I am from India

Any thoughts on this?