[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 overheating even after buying an after market cooler

BlueGR

Commendable
Jun 11, 2020
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and I bought an Arctic freezer 34 esports duo, since I saw that with an after market cooler the CPU temps will be lower. In some videos I saw that they idle at 35C and at max load are at 50C. In my case, the CPU idle temp is 50 and my max load temp is 70C . I have two 140mm fans for intake and two 140mm fans for exhaust, I have tried to reapply thermal paste but nothing. Please help!

Solution
Remove the overclock and leave the OS power plan on balanced. There's nothing wrong with the results you get now.

Low load temperature is a reflection of several things:
-case airflow.
-fan setup, fan curves and specs.
-cpu and gpu coolers.
-room ambient to case ambient. Case ambient is always warmer.
-OS power plans and applied bios settings.
-the degree of background activity(not counting the OS).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-case model.
-exact gpu model(to discern the type of gpu cooler).
-how you applied paste. Ryzen 3600 has 2 dies beneath the IHS, and they are offset from the center. 'Little in the middle paste applications may not be effective. Make sure paste covers the entire IHS - probably best to manually spread it over yourself with an unused credit card or disposable glove.

EDIT: Is PBO enabled/disabled?

Last edited:

BlueGR

Commendable
Jun 11, 2020
-case model.
-exact gpu model(to discern the type of gpu cooler).
-how you applied paste. Ryzen 3600 has 2 dies beneath the IHS, and they are offset from the center. 'Little in the middle paste applications may not be effective. Make sure paste covers the entire IHS - probably best to manually spread it over yourself with an unused credit card or disposable glove.

EDIT: Is PBO enabled/disabled?

The case is an off brand case from my country (https://www.e-shop.gr/case-innovator-shell-1-black-half-transparent-p-PER.643942). When I open the front panel I see a 5C difference in max load.
This is my GPU: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/Dual/DUAL-RTX3060TI-O8G-V2/
Thermal paste completely covers the entire IHS.

I have tried both PBO on and off, but I have settled with off and a small overclock and undervolt (4.1Ghz and 1.1V), there is little change with stock settings.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Front panel presents a possible airflow issue.
Gpu cooler releases gpu heat inside the PC; cpu cooler does have to deal with some of that.
Paste covers entire IHS = good.

I have settled with off and a small overclock and undervolt (4.1Ghz and 1.1V), there is little change with stock settings.
You are monitoring all cores when doing this? If there isn't a ton of cpu background activity, most of those cores should be sleeping.
Are the cores even allowed to sleep anymore? That would increase low load power use.

'Stock' varies from board to board, sadly.

BlueGR

Commendable
Jun 11, 2020
Front panel presents a possible airflow issue.
Gpu cooler releases gpu heat inside the PC; cpu cooler does have to deal with some of that.
Paste covers entire IHS = good.

You are monitoring all cores when doing this? If there isn't a ton of cpu background activity, most of those cores should be sleeping.
Are the cores even allowed to sleep anymore? That would increase low load power use.

'Stock' varies from board to board, sadly.

Is there a way to allow them to sleep again. Also is there anything else I could do to improve the temps?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Remove the overclock and leave the OS power plan on balanced. There's nothing wrong with the results you get now.

Low load temperature is a reflection of several things:
-case airflow.
-fan setup, fan curves and specs.
-cpu and gpu coolers.
-room ambient to case ambient. Case ambient is always warmer.
-OS power plans and applied bios settings.
-the degree of background activity(not counting the OS).

Solution