[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 overheating in new build with old GPU

Jun 11, 2020
Hi,

Recently i've built a new pc with ryzen 5 3600, mainly for photo and some video editing. I've bought everything new EXCEPT for a new gpu (i will buy it eventually). After some editing i noticed my cpu being extremely hot (around 90-100 degrees celsius). I've updated all motherboard and AMD drivers, changed the thermal paste and the results are still the same. So I was thinking that my gpu (gtx 560 ti) couldn't handle the work therefore the CPU had to work more resulting in overheating and sometimes restarting my pc.

I know it's a dinasour card and I am buying a new one (probably rx 570), but I would like to know for sure that my gpu is the problem. The least I want is overheating with a new gpu...

Thank you for your answers!

Reactions: Zanathon
Solution
1 - It's not...you should be on the Balanced plan which will let the cpu idle lower when not in use reducing temps

2 - It sounds like you need a GPU upgrade

3 - Not touching
Hi,

Recently i've built a new pc with ryzen 5 3600, mainly for photo and some video editing. I've bought everything new EXCEPT for a new gpu (i will buy it eventually). After some editing i noticed my cpu being extremely hot (around 90-100 degrees celsius). I've updated all motherboard and AMD drivers, changed the thermal paste and the results are still the same. So I was thinking that my gpu (gtx 560 ti) couldn't handle the work therefore the CPU had to work more resulting in overheating and sometimes restarting my pc.

I know it's a dinasour card and I am buying a new one (probably rx 570), but I would like to know for sure that my gpu is the problem. The least I want is overheating with a new gpu...

Those programs use CPU mostlybut temperature is way too high, I mean that CPU should shut down at 95c at most. Which program did you use for temperature measurement ?

DSzymborski

Titan
Let's get more information about this cooler; you didn't tell us anything about it.

Generally speaking, unless there's something like a really odd overclocking mishap, temperature problems are basically only a few things:

• Broken pump/cooler, from things like broken pumps, fans, or fluid issues
  • Improper installation
  • Poor cooler choice
If a cooler is properly working and appropriate for the build and it's installed correctly, then it will cool, because of the basic physical law of thermodynamic heat transfer.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
If Ryzen Master is reporting that temp, then it's probably pretty close to accurate. What is your typical ambient temperature, and ball-park humidity in the room you're working? If it's super humid (aka >70%), and higher than 25 C, the stock cooler probably won't cut it to keep it cool. Even a CM Hyper 212 should be able to do much better than the stock cooler, and they're usually only about $35 CAD. A good investment if you plan to load the CPU down a lot :)

Also, you can try running a program called 'OCCT' to test your video card. Just don't run the CPU/PSU test at the same time as it'll cause your CPU to overheat. That should help try and narrow down the issue. Also, if you have another video card you can put in just to test (even if it's lower end, or you can borrow one from a friend for a night), it'll help with the troubleshooting process ;)

Hi,

It's not your video card causing the cpu to have high temps. I assume you're on the stock cooler...what type of case are you using ? It sounds like you have an airflow issue in your case as the stock cooler is more than capable of keeping the chip safe with good airflow. The stock cooler, in a properly cooled case, will hit 75-85c depending on ambient temps under full load...100 is way too hot and likely throttling the chip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Ferimer

Distinguished
AMD Ryzen Master
Without knowing how many case fans, the CPU cooler that is installed. Cant determine exactly why you are experiencing High temps. I will tell you this though, I have a Ryzen 5 3600x OC'ed t 4.25ghz using a CM 212 Black Edition (RGB) w a PUSH/PULL system ANd my temps stay below 65 with a 100% test. I have 5 case fans 3 intake and 2 exhaust. Just to give you an idea on how i cool down my CPU

Reactions: roho11
Jun 11, 2020
Thanks for the good response.

I use the stock CPU cooler in Cooler Master B300L micro tower case with 2x120mm case fans (one stock cooler master and one bitfenix spectre). The case is designed with lots of holes for air to come in, but my motherboard has only 2 case fan connectors...

Jun 11, 2020
Without knowing how many case fans, the CPU cooler that is installed. Cant determine exactly why you are experiencing High temps. I will tell you this though, I have a Ryzen 5 3600x OC'ed t 4.25ghz using a CM 212 Black Edition (RGB) w a PUSH/PULL system ANd my temps stay below 65 with a 100% test. I have 5 case fans 3 intake and 2 exhaust. Just to give you an idea on how i cool down my CPU

Looks like this could be my problem... I use the stock CPU cooler in Cooler Master B300L micro tower case with 2x120mm case fans (one stock cooler master and one bitfenix spectre). I'll also try to set default values to BIOS.

Jun 11, 2020
Let's get more information about this cooler; you didn't tell us anything about it.

Generally speaking, unless there's something like a really odd overclocking mishap, temperature problems are basically only a few things:

• Broken pump/cooler, from things like broken pumps, fans, or fluid issues
  • Improper installation
  • Poor cooler choice
If a cooler is properly working and appropriate for the build and it's installed correctly, then it will cool, because of the basic physical law of thermodynamic heat transfer.
I think I was watching a yt video about volt settings in BIOS and changed them, not really knowing what will it do. I'll reset to default values in BIOS as soon as I come home.

Jun 11, 2020
It's not your video card causing the cpu to have high temps. I assume you're on the stock cooler...what type of case are you using ? It sounds like you have an airflow issue in your case as the stock cooler is more than capable of keeping the chip safe with good airflow. The stock cooler, in a properly cooled case, will hit 75-85c depending on ambient temps under full load...100 is way too hot and likely throttling the chip.
Yes I use the stock cooler. Case is CM B300L with two 120mm case fans. One exhaust is set on the top over the cpu fan and one on the front bottom for intake... Should I have more case fans? My motherboard only has 2 connectors so i would need some kind of splitter, i believe. + a better cpu fan.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Yes I use the stock cooler. Case is CM B300L with two 120mm case fans. One exhaust is set on the top over the cpu fan and one on the front bottom for intake... Should I have more case fans? My motherboard only has 2 connectors so i would need some kind of splitter, i believe. + a better cpu fan.
I would move the top case fan to a rear part of the case if it allows. You can buy a Fan Hub which allows you to connect more fans to a single header. I have one or two that I got when I ordered DeepCool 5in1 rgb fans. You should look into getting a bigger case if you want to do things like video editing so you can manage airflow and keep things cooler. AmD CPUS are known for getting hotter than most intels due to utilizing its cores which is why it has a max temp of 95. But Stock Cooler doesnt handle OC Well at all.

I don't believe your cpu cooler is the issue here...of course you can do better than the stock cooler but it shouldn't be required. I would look into a better case...one with 3 unobstructed front intakes and at least one exhaust fan. Using a splitter for the case fans is fine.

In the mean time I'd recommend running your current system with the side panel off and a room fan pointed at the cpu until you've upgraded the case.

Jun 11, 2020
I don't believe your cpu cooler is the issue here...of course you can do better than the stock cooler but it shouldn't be required. I would look into a better case...one with 3 unobstructed front intakes and at least one exhaust fan. Using a splitter for the case fans is fine.

In the mean time I'd recommend running your current system with the side panel off and a room fan pointed at the cpu until you've upgraded the case.
So I reset the BIOS settings to default and my cpu runs cooler now. Except for video editing... It still gets to 90 degrees. But now I noticed the EDC in Rzyen Master is also showing 99% (that wasn't the case before).

So I was wondering these options:

1. maybe the AMD Rzyen high performance power plan isn't the best to use.
  2. I still doubt my 1gb GPU is good enough for poto/video editing.
  3. I ran cracked adobe programs which could not work as well as original programs.

It's just a shame to see such a good cpu lagging...

Ferimer

Distinguished
maybe the AMD Rzyen high performance power plan isn't the best to use. "<<--- Ive been seeing people mention this where is that found?

So it says i have 64-bit Windows 10 Home but i dont get the luxury of choosing Ryzen Power stuff?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020
maybe the AMD Rzyen high performance power plan isn't the best to use. "<<--- Ive been seeing people mention this where is that found?

So it says i have 64-bit Windows 10 Home but i dont get the luxury of choosing Ryzen Power stuff?
You need to download it from AMD website.

Jun 11, 2020
1 - It's not...you should be on the Balanced plan which will let the cpu idle lower when not in use reducing temps

2 - It sounds like you need a GPU upgrade

3 - Not touching
  1. the AMD ryzen balanced plan or windows balanced power plan?
  2. Yes i'll probably buy the Zotac Gaming 1650 super.
  3. I like your professionalism