Question Ryzen 5 3600 overheating problem

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
I installed my new ryzen 5 3600 into my MSi b350 pc mate today and I booted into windows and my cpu was at 56 degrees Celsius. I shut down the computer and then rebooted it and the bios stopped giving me cpu temp info. I had trouble putting the cooler into the computer and I was wondering if it my be a thermal paste connection problem. However, the fact that on second boot the bios didn’t give me cpu temp info and just said n/a scared me. The computer did detect that it was a Ryzen 5 3600. Any ideas on the issue would be much appreciated.

PS I am using the stock cooler it that adds anything.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unless you're in a ridiculously warm ambient environment, something is wrong here.
Either the thermal paste was smudged/removed, or you've not seated the cooler correctly.

Given you had trouble installing the cooler, I'd start with a reseat (and a clean thermal paste application)

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Unless you're in a ridiculously warm ambient environment, something is wrong here.
Either the thermal paste was smudged/removed, or you've not seated the cooler correctly.

Given you had trouble installing the cooler, I'd start with a reseat (and a clean thermal paste application)
That was my idea. Do you have anything to say about the fact that the bios stopped telling me about the cpu temp

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't. I've never see nthat before. I've seen fan speeds incorrectly reported, and showing as N/a, but not temperatures. I've seen temperatures report phantom numbers (like 200'C), which is clearly false...... but not N/a.

Your CPU cooler is connected to the CPU_Fan header on the motherboard, correct?

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Remove to cooler. Remove all the thermal paste. You can use isopropyl alcohol to clean the cooler plate and CPU. Make sure you use a good quality thermal paste. And use about a pea size amount of paste in the center of the CPU. Install the cooler. Good luck

Dec 28, 2019
I installed my new ryzen 5 3600 into my MSi b350 pc mate today and I booted into windows and my cpu was at 56 degrees Celsius. I shut down the computer and then rebooted it and the bios stopped giving me cpu temp info. I had trouble putting the cooler into the computer and I was wondering if it my be a thermal paste connection problem. However, the fact that on second boot the bios didn’t give me cpu temp info and just said n/a scared me. The computer did detect that it was a Ryzen 5 3600. Any ideas on the issue would be much appreciated.

PS I am using the stock cooler it that adds anything.
Most likely you have installed the cooler wrong , try reinstalling it.