Question Ryzen 5 3600 Overheating

Rohan76576

Reputable
Feb 7, 2020
I just finished building my pc and went into the bios and the cpu temperature goes up to 95 degrees celsius after 1 minute. Can someone tell me how to get a cooler temperature please. Thanks

Ohh, the possibilities....

any plastic protective film on the cpu cooler?
is thermal paste applied? (I mean like, at all)
are ALL the mounting screws tightened? evenly?
is the cpu cooler fan spinning?
is the cpu cooler fan connector attached to the right header?

and... where did you stick the AMD case badge that came with the CPU?

Reactions: Lushern1309

Rohan76576

Reputable
Feb 7, 2020
There isn’t any plastic protection film on the cpu cooler, the cpu fan is spinning, the cpu fan came with thermal paste already on it, the screws are tighten evenly and the cpu fan is connected to the right header and i didn’t stick the case badge anywhere that came with the cpu.

There isn’t any plastic protection film on the cpu cooler, the cpu fan is spinning, the cpu fan came with thermal paste already on it, the screws are tighten evenly and the cpu fan is connected to the right header and i didn’t stick the case badge anywhere that came with the cpu.
Well then, that's it for the low hanging fruit.

Even though temp shooting up to Tjmax inside of a minute is something typical of extremely poor heatsink mounting / contact with the CPU it may help to know your full system spec. Cpu we know so the other details like: motherboard, cpu cooler, GPU, PSU, case, case fans (number, type, mounting arrangement). Memory and storage...although they probably wouldn't impact this problem, just for completeness.

Last edited:
reset CMOS? doing that might fix a random bad setting, something like pushing a really high voltage to the CPU. It's good practice to do that anyway before first power on a new-built system.

Also be sure to update the board BIOS if you haven't yet.

Those things are reaching, I know. I really can't think of anything else. Without commenting on the PSU, since the brand is totally unfamiliar to me, the system appears well-matched. Like I said, this problem is really typical of poor contact between CPU heat spreader and CPU cooler so double/triple/quadruple check cooler mounting. Take it off, look at the patterns in the thermal paste (like a philosopher examining tea leaves), clean the old off apply new, re install. I believe you're using the stock cooler, since none's listed in your spec's, so torque fastners cross-wise to put even pressure on the CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rohan76576

Rohan76576

Reputable
Feb 7, 2020
reset CMOS? doing that might fix a random bad setting, something like pushing a really high voltage to the CPU. It's good practice to do that anyway before first power on a new-built system.

Also be sure to update the board BIOS if you haven't yet.

Those things are reaching, I know. I really can't think of anything else. Without commenting on the PSU, since the brand is totally unfamiliar to me, the system appears well-matched. Like I said, this problem is really typical of poor contact between CPU heat spreader and CPU cooler so double/triple/quadruple check cooler mounting. Take it off, look at the patterns in the thermal paste (like a philosopher examining tea leaves), clean the old off apply new, re install. I believe you're using the stock cooler, since none's listed in your spec's, so torque fastners cross-wise to put even pressure on the CPU.
Thanks

There was already thermal paste on the bottom of the cpu fan so when I get thermal paste do I remove the thermal paste already there on the cpu and then put it or just put it on top of the thermal paste already there.
clean it off completely, from both the CPU and the cooler, and reapply a fresh application.

Apply a pea-sized dot in the center of the CPU top, then place the cooler straight down with a slight twisting movement to line up the screws to the threaded inserts. Do not rock or tilt it. Engage the screws one at a time, do not tighten until all four are engaged. Tighten in cross-wise order, like an X.

If for any reason you remove the CPU cooler, clean off the old paste and reapply fresh.

Rohan76576

Reputable
Feb 7, 2020
clean it off completely, from both the CPU and the cooler, and reapply a fresh application.

Apply a pea-sized dot in the center of the CPU top, then place the cooler straight down with a slight twisting movement to line up the screws to the threaded inserts. Do not rock or tilt it. Engage the screws one at a time, do not tighten until all four are engaged. Tighten in cross-wise order, like an X.

If for any reason you remove the CPU cooler, clean off the old paste and reapply fresh.
i have cleaned off the thermal paste from the cpu fan and cpu and applied new thermal paste and the cpu temperature still rises up to 95c. Could it be the cpu voltage?

i have cleaned off the thermal paste from the cpu fan and cpu and applied new thermal paste and the cpu temperature still rises up to 95c. Could it be the cpu voltage?
Did you do a CMOS reset? if not, do it and do not change anything in BIOS relating to voltages or multipliers or overclocking in general; leave it in full default stock settings. In stock, voltage should be very low unless boosting and then go back down when the boost is over.

Rohan76576

Reputable
Feb 7, 2020
Did you do a CMOS reset? if not, do it and do not change anything in BIOS relating to voltages or multipliers or overclocking in general; leave it in full default stock settings. In stock, voltage should be very low unless boosting and then go back down when the boost is over.
do i just take the cmos battery out and then put it back in?

do i just take the cmos battery out and then put it back in?
that's good to, but short the CMOS reset pins (look in your motherboard manual) for about 30 seconds or a minute.

oh yeah, and something else. does your BIOS have a hardware monitor screen to look at processor temperature when inside the BIOS? is that temp also really high? it's normal for it to be somewhat higher than in Windows, so if it's only really hot in Windows and not in the BIOS maybe something's auto-running in your Windows that you're not aware of.

Rohan76576

Reputable
Feb 7, 2020
that's good to, but short the CMOS reset pins (look in your motherboard manual) for about 30 seconds or a minute.

oh yeah, and something else. does your BIOS have a hardware monitor screen to look at processor temperature when inside the BIOS? is that temp also really high? it's normal for it to be somewhat higher than in Windows, so if it's only really hot in Windows and not in the BIOS maybe something's auto-running in your Windows that you're not aware of.
I don’t have windows yet

MrFuji385

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
There was already thermal paste on the bottom of the cpu fan so when I get thermal paste do I remove the thermal paste already there on the cpu and then put it or just put it on top of the thermal paste already there.
Remove all of it I say it’s probabaly dried and bad, just get some new thermal grizzly or whatever

Lutfij

Titan
I merged your threads, since it's the same topic, essentially
Now, we will need to see how much thermal paste you've used on your cooling assembly. Host the image on Imgur and then pass on a link here.

Next, what are your ambient room air temps?

FYI, that PSU does NOT look like a reliably built unit. Stock or aftermarket cooler?