[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 Overheating

May 12, 2020
I completed a build with Ryzen 3600, MSI Nvidia RTX 2060 Super, 16 GB RAM and a Antec NX400 case.

The temperature of the CPU jumps to 93-95C when under stress. I am using the stock cooler. Is this normal? Is it bad? It usually idles at 45-60. As an aside, I have only 1 exhaust fan in the case and no intake fan. I was thinking of getting an intake fan + a third party CPU air cooler once the lockdown here is lifted. Is it safe for me to continue using the PC in the meantime?

Solution
Thanks for taking the time giving more info.

One more question that came to my head: Did you made a clean install of Windows 10?

1. Ryzen Master is accurae, but for me doesn't give enough info and it does keep track of MAX values. Thats why I prefer HWiNFO64 since it gives a lot more data and keep the track of the MAX values (you can even reset all values to start testing again). Here is an image that shows the temps you need to check (specially the one with a small line) and the PPT (watts) limit that your CPu should have if everything is ok (this pic was taking after ~13 mins of Prime95 Small FFT test with AVX enable):

PM55I4j.jpg

4. According to the motherboard model you posted, this is what the BIOS...
Thats indeed some high temperatures, idle at around 50°C is more or less normal, 60°C is hot. On the other hand not having front fan intakes sucks, but it shouldnt suck this much.

1. What software are you using to see the temp?, Ryzen Master or HWinfo64 portable (sensors only option) are the best chocies for Ryzen 3xxx.
  2. What stress test did you tried? There are tons of them?, Did you set any special setting on it? Does this stress test run AVX instructions?
  3. Whats your motherboard brand and model?
  4. What BIOS version are you using?
  5. Is cool & quiet option enable in BIOS?
  6. Have you tried to disable PBO and PBO Overdrive from the BIOS?
  7. Is there any Auto-OC nonsense from the motherboard enable?
  8. Did you installed any other software for the motherboard, other than the motherboard chipset drivers?
  9. Have you tighten hard enough the stock cooler screws?
  10. Did you plug the stock fan on the proper CPU-FAN header on the motherboard?

Info, we need more info!!!

Cheers

Reactions: ajilo297
May 12, 2020
That is high but is it under a stress test? What’s the highest it goes to under normal high load, for example when gaming?
I didn't try gaming because I am worried that I might damage it. But I was trying to install a fitgirl-repack game when the CPU hit 95C. I panicked and closed the installation. I tried the CPU burner option in Furmark. I am not sure if that's what a stress test is. But again it reached 94-95 pretty quick. But it does not go over 95.

May 12, 2020
Thats indeed some high temperatures, idle at around 50°C is more or less normal, 60°C is hot. On the other hand not having front fan intakes sucks, but it shouldnt suck this much.

1. What software are you using to see the temp?, Ryzen Master or HWinfo64 portable (sensors only option) are the best chocies for Ryzen 3xxx.
  2. What stress test did you tried? There are tons of them?, Did you set any special setting on it? Does this stress test run AVX instructions?
  3. Whats your motherboard brand and model?
  4. What BIOS version are you using?
  5. Is cool & quiet option enable in BIOS?
  6. Have you tried to disable PBO and PBO Overdrive from the BIOS?
  7. Is there any Auto-OC nonsense from the motherboard enable?
  8. Did you installed any other software for the motherboard, other than the motherboard chipset drivers?
  9. Have you tighten hard enough the stock cooler screws?
  10. Did you plug the stock fan on the proper CPU-FAN header on the motherboard?
Info, we need more info!!!

Cheers

1. I am using Ryzen master to check the temperature. Before that I used HWMonitor. But it's readings were too high. I read on Reddit that HWInfo 64 was more accurate. So I tested that one too. There were a few CPU readings like CPU Die, CPU CCD, etc. And all of them were about the same temperature. (+/- 3 C)
  2. I am not sure if it's a stress test. I ran the Furmark first. But it was working up the GPU more, I guess. But it has a tool in it called CPU Burner. I ran it and the CPU temps rose to 95 pretty quick. I stopped the test because I got worried.
  3. The motherboard is MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  4. Bios version is ALASKA - 1072009
  5. I am really new to all this and am not sure about this. I'll try to find out and update
  6. I have not touched any settings on the BIOS
  7. I am not sure. I do not know where to check
  8. I did not install any driver software.
  9. Yes, I have.
  10. During installation, I had plugged in the CPU fan on the SYS FAN header. But when I faced this issue, I posted it on Imgur and someone pointed out that I have to switch. So now the FAN is connected to the correct header. But still no significant change. But I think the rate at which the CPU hits 95 dropped pretty quick
I'll try to find more about points 5 and 7 and try to update you

Reactions: RodroX

One more question that came to my head: Did you made a clean install of Windows 10?

1. Ryzen Master is accurae, but for me doesn't give enough info and it does keep track of MAX values. Thats why I prefer HWiNFO64 since it gives a lot more data and keep the track of the MAX values (you can even reset all values to start testing again). Here is an image that shows the temps you need to check (specially the one with a small line) and the PPT (watts) limit that your CPu should have if everything is ok (this pic was taking after ~13 mins of Prime95 Small FFT test with AVX enable):

PM55I4j.jpg

4. According to the motherboard model you posted, this is what the BIOS version should look like: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-bios.

8. You didn't install chipset drivers?, this is the chipset driver page from MSI: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-driver&Win10 64

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I think you are jumping the gun, so to speak.

1. you could really use an intake fan, that really helps feed cooler air to the cpu.
  2. Go to MSI website, for your exact motherboard, and download 2 things, the latest bios and the motherboard chipset package. Put both on the desktop. Follow the install/update procedure exactly. Windows has generic drivers that'll work, but being generic, they aren't an exact fit nor tailored for your motherboard.
  3. Make sure Dragon Center (if installed) and Windows Power plan is set to balanced, not performance or gaming mode.
  4. Anything that you run that says 'cpu burner' or anything close IS a stress test designed to work the cpu/gpu to maximum, so will drive temps way high. Higher usually than is normal/warranted. Don't run such tests/programs until your pc is complete and stable. Gotta learn to walk before you learn to run.

jonbuder

Commendable
May 3, 2020
I'm running the same chip and saw similar temps so I switched it to a Noctua AM4 cooler with the single fan. Runs a lot cooler, about 15-20 degrees less. The stock cooler on there is really small and there's not much to it, especially if your case doesn't have a lot of airflow...

You might be able to go a cheaper route and still get good results, though. Good thermal paste and some good non-LED fans would cost less. I've got a window in the side of the case and thought the Noctua cooler looks pretty neat so that was a factor for me.

However yesterday I had a weird issue, the CPU stopped working and the debug LED indicated lost CPU contact with the motherboard and I ended up taking it off, cleaning off the thermal paste and reinstalling and it fixed it. I think it's possible I may not have pushed down the lever all the way when I switched out the cooler. Just something to keep in mind.

I completed a build with Ryzen 3600, MSI Nvidia RTX 2060 Super, 16 GB RAM and a Antec NX400 case.

The temperature of the CPU jumps to 93-95C when under stress. I am using the stock cooler. Is this normal? Is it bad? It usually idles at 45-60. As an aside, I have only 1 exhaust fan in the case and no intake fan. I was thinking of getting an intake fan + a third party CPU air cooler once the lockdown here is lifted. Is it safe for me to continue using the PC in the meantime?
Idling 45 or so is normal, but also it's normal to pulse up to 60-65C even at idle. But those are short 'pulses' and very low energy as a single core boosts and so not much actual thermal load on the CPU.

93-95C is pretty hot but not unexpected under an extreme stress test processing load, especially with the stock cooler and minimal case ventilation. There are things you can do to help with that...one is to set a platform thermal limit at 85-90C in BIOS (which i feel is a good safety limit anyway). The other is get better cooling for the CPU is the stock is really to be considered as the bare minimum and as well improve case ventilation with more or better arranged case fans if possible.

May 12, 2020

PM55I4j.jpg

4. According to the motherboard model you posted, this is what the BIOS version should look like: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-bios.

8. You didn't install chipset drivers?, this is the chipset driver page from MSI: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-driver&Win10 64

Thanks for this. I'll install the drivers and update the BIOS and see if it changes anything. To answer the first question, yes I installed Windows from an installation media.

May 12, 2020
I think you are jumping the gun, so to speak.

1. you could really use an intake fan, that really helps feed cooler air to the cpu.
  2. Go to MSI website, for your exact motherboard, and download 2 things, the latest bios and the motherboard chipset package. Put both on the desktop. Follow the install/update procedure exactly. Windows has generic drivers that'll work, but being generic, they aren't an exact fit nor tailored for your motherboard.
  3. Make sure Dragon Center (if installed) and Windows Power plan is set to balanced, not performance or gaming mode.
  4. Anything that you run that says 'cpu burner' or anything close IS a stress test designed to work the cpu/gpu to maximum, so will drive temps way high. Higher usually than is normal/warranted. Don't run such tests/programs until your pc is complete and stable. Gotta learn to walk before you learn to run.

Sounds like good advice. I'll install these and update here. Power plan was on performance. I've moved it back to balanced, but didn't notice any significant change.

May 12, 2020
Idling 45 or so is normal, but also it's normal to pulse up to 60-65C even at idle. But those are short 'pulses' and very low energy as a single core boosts and so not much actual thermal load on the CPU.

93-95C is pretty hot but not unexpected under an extreme stress test processing load, especially with the stock cooler and minimal case ventilation. There are things you can do to help with that...one is to set a platform thermal limit at 85-90C in BIOS (which i feel is a good safety limit anyway). The other is get better cooling for the CPU is the stock is really to be considered as the bare minimum and as well improve case ventilation with more or better arranged case fans if possible.
Okay. Thanks. I'll find out how to set the temperature to 85-90. I'm curious though what this setting means? Does it mean the system will shut down if it crosses that temperature?

Okay. Thanks. I'll find out how to set the temperature to 85-90. I'm curious though what this setting means? Does it mean the system will shut down if it crosses that temperature?
Nothing drastic or radical at all happens other than the processor pulls back on clocks to keep from rising above it.

Getting a better cooler...just a Hyper212 or similar is usually enough...it probably won't ever get above 80C. So even an 85C limit won't be a problem then.

May 12, 2020

PM55I4j.jpg

I didn't find anymajor changes after installing drivers and updating the BIOS. I think changing the cooler and adding an intake is the way to go. Thanks for all the help and information. Really appreciate it

Reactions: RodroX
May 12, 2020
Nothing drastic or radical at all happens other than the processor pulls back on clocks to keep from rising above it.

Getting a better cooler...just a Hyper212 or similar is usually enough...it probably won't ever get above 80C. So even an 85C limit won't be a problem then.
I have now installed a Antec C400 Glacial cooler and it has worked wonders I think. Stress testing the CPU, GTA V, Assassin's Creed Odessey, etc, did not bring up the temperature above 80 which I think is a win. Thanks for your help and advice