[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 overheating

Jan 24, 2021
Hi.

I've recently bought a Ryzen 5 3600 (a few weeks ago), but I've noticed it is heating so much.

During stress tests (Prime95 Small or Aida64 FPU), my processor goes up to 95C-98C (with stock cooler) peaks, with an average of 92C. I had home a 120mm AIO watercooler from deepcool (maelstrom 120T), and with it, on same tests, the temperature peak drops to around 85C-88C, with average of 83. Because I plan to do some overclock (though I still didn't do any overclock), I bought a Raijintek EOS 240 AIO Watercooler, and for my surprise, the temperatures peaks stay the same, around 85C-88C, also the average stay around 83C on stress test.

I've used watercooler on my systems for more than 10 years by now, and even a 120mm AIO should be enough to keep this processor cool, since it have only 65w TDP. The same Maelstrom 120mm AIO could keep my Phenom II x4 955 (125w TDP) around 70C under full load. Unfortunately, I don't have the Phenom anymore, so I couldn't test it with the Raijintek EOS.

I'm using a Cooler Master thermal paste (Cooler Master E2 IC Essential), the same I've always used, even on my Phenom II x4 955 which had 125w TDP.

One thing I noticed, the radiator and the CPU block/pump from AIO don't get hot, even after 30 minutes of prime95 (which gave an average temperature of 83C). I've checked the radiator and it was cold (not even warm). The tubes from AIO also didn't heat (though when I touch them, I can feel the liquid moving, it wasn't any hot).

I already tried remounting the AIO around 3 times, cleaned and reapplied thermal paste, always same results.

What could be giving it so bad temperatures? My room have air conditioner set to 22C on all tests.

My full PC specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550M
RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz Gloway
VGA: Asus Phoenix Geforce GTX 1050TI (yes, need to upgrade)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 450
CPU Cooler: Raijintek EOS 240 mounted on front (already tried with top mounting, same results)
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 550 with 3 exhaust fans (2 on top, 1 on back)
HD: 1 SATA II 80GB HD, 1 SATA III 1TB, 1 SSD SATA III 120GB

Thanks in advance.

Solution
A 120mm AIO really is not sufficient to cool even a 3600, do not be fooled by that 65W TDP. The reason is the liquid volume is greatly reduced and the radiator fins/fans are even more greatly reduced, so it saturates sooner and there's just not enough fans/fins/airflow to cool it off. Water has a terrific capacity for absorbing heat but it's also terrible for releasing it so it just stays warm if there's not enough surface (tubes and fins) to dissipate it. Increasing water volume (with larger 240mm AIO radiators) delays the saturation point when temperature will go out of control. That's one reason CCL's are so much better than AIO's; they have huge water volume. Do not fall into the trap of thinking about an AIO the same way you do...
Hi.

I've recently bought a Ryzen 5 3600 (a few weeks ago), but I've noticed it is heating so much.

During stress tests (Prime95 Small or Aida64 FPU), my processor goes up to 95C-98C (with stock cooler) peaks, with an average of 92C. I had home a 120mm AIO watercooler from deepcool (maelstrom 120T), and with it, on same tests, the temperature peak drops to around 85C-88C, with average of 83. Because I plan to do some overclock (though I still didn't do any overclock), I bought a Raijintek EOS 240 AIO Watercooler, and for my surprise, the temperatures peaks stay the same, around 85C-88C, also the average stay around 83C on stress test.

I've used watercooler on my systems for more than 10 years by now, and even a 120mm AIO should be enough to keep this processor cool, since it have only 65w TDP. The same Maelstrom 120mm AIO could keep my Phenom II x4 955 (125w TDP) around 70C under full load. Unfortunately, I don't have the Phenom anymore, so I couldn't test it with the Raijintek EOS.

I'm using a Cooler Master thermal paste (Cooler Master E2 IC Essential), the same I've always used, even on my Phenom II x4 955 which had 125w TDP.

One thing I noticed, the radiator and the CPU block/pump from AIO don't get hot, even after 30 minutes of prime95 (which gave an average temperature of 83C). I've checked the radiator and it was cold (not even warm). The tubes from AIO also didn't heat (though when I touch them, I can feel the liquid moving, it wasn't any hot).

I already tried remounting the AIO around 3 times, cleaned and reapplied thermal paste, always same results.

What could be giving it so bad temperatures? My room have air conditioner set to 22C on all tests.

My full PC specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550M
RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz Gloway
VGA: Asus Phoenix Geforce GTX 1050TI (yes, need to upgrade)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 450
CPU Cooler: Raijintek EOS 240 mounted on front (already tried with top mounting, same results)
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 550 with 3 exhaust fans (2 on top, 1 on back)
HD: 1 SATA II 80GB HD, 1 SATA III 1TB, 1 SSD SATA III 120GB

Thanks in advance.
For Ryzen (over)heating, it's too high voltage that's usual culprit. If left on auto, most BIOS versins would set CPU voltage too high, sometimes even at or over 1.5v. Most popular way is to set some negative voltage offset of -0.1v at least. That drops max voltage buy that much.
Your AIO must be mounted good and working since radiator gets hot too Pastes from worst to best could make only couple to 5c difference so that's not your main problem.
If at all possible, I would connect/set pump at full speed all the time and fans (temporally) too.
But all together, you have to reign voltages in. That helps most.

Jan 24, 2021
On full load, the CPU voltage reported by HwInfo64 varies from 1.237V to 1.287V. Also, the reported CPU Power Usage (SMU) on HwInfo64 is around 88W.

My Raijintek AIO Pump is connected to SATA conector from Power Supply, so it is always on full speed. I set the fans on full speed too, but didn't reduce the temperature. Right now, I'm using a push and pull setup on my radiator and still get the same temperatures.

But the weird is, the AIO pump and radiator is not getting hot.

On full load, the CPU voltage reported by HwInfo64 varies from 1.237V to 1.287V. Also, the reported CPU Power Usage (SMU) on HwInfo64 is around 88W.

My Raijintek AIO Pump is connected to SATA conector from Power Supply, so it is always on full speed. I set the fans on full speed too, but didn't reduce the temperature. Right now, I'm using a push and pull setup on my radiator and still get the same temperatures.

But the weird is, the AIO pump and radiator is not getting hot.
Are they at least warm or warmer than air around it ? When there's great discrepancy between CPU and cooler temperatures that usually means that heat transfer from CPU and cooler is poor, either because of bad seating or paste.

Jan 24, 2021
I did a test with overclocking (just to check temperature), and with 4.4GHz at 1.4v, the CPU reaches 95C, and on this condition the radiator gets a little bit warm (but I can keep touching it for hours on that temperature). Of course, as it was a simple test, I stopped it quickly because I know max temperature for this CPU is 95C. But when the CPU temperature is around 80C to 85C, I can't feel any difference on radiator temperature and the air around it.

I already tried reseating the block/pump from AIO around 4 times, and used different amounts of thermal paste to check if wasn't too much or lack of paste, but the temperatures didn't change.

One thing I did, by curiosity, was to loosen the screws from block/pump, and even when the block almost didn't had any pressure on CPU, the temperatures remains the same.

Looks like the heat from CPU is not going to AIO block (at least not as much as it should). I think I will buy a Mastergel Maker or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste to check if the temperatures will get lower.

That the CPU didn’t reach throttling temps indicates the pump is working. Since the OC results in warmer radiator temp probably means your new cooler is just dissipating heat faster. May just need to check your fan curve and check whether the radiator fan is connected to CPU or SYS/CHA header

A 120mm AIO really is not sufficient to cool even a 3600, do not be fooled by that 65W TDP. The reason is the liquid volume is greatly reduced and the radiator fins/fans are even more greatly reduced, so it saturates sooner and there's just not enough fans/fins/airflow to cool it off. Water has a terrific capacity for absorbing heat but it's also terrible for releasing it so it just stays warm if there's not enough surface (tubes and fins) to dissipate it. Increasing water volume (with larger 240mm AIO radiators) delays the saturation point when temperature will go out of control. That's one reason CCL's are so much better than AIO's; they have huge water volume. Do not fall into the trap of thinking about an AIO the same way you do an air cooler.

If CPU Vcore is dropping to 1.237-1.287 under full load then it's doing as it should. Lowering VCore will help with temperature but it can very easily hurt performance. Especially, light threaded performance will suffer which is going to hurt it in gaming. So test that.

Lastly, while 95C is very hot it's still in AMD's max temp (Tjmax). 98 C is definitely too hot, and I agree I wouldn't want to operate there normally. BUT DO NOT FORGET that Prime95 is NEVER going to be 'normal operation'! It's a stability test; just run it 20-30 min's and if it's stable it's OK REGARDLESS of temperature. For testing temperature run a purely real-world heavy workload.

A good 'real-world' test for stability AND temperature, since your system might actually sees something like this, is CineBench23. Run it's 'stress' test for at least 30 min's and see if it's holding something more reasonable, like say in the 80's. Run it for 2 hours or more to find the point the liquid in your 120mm AIO saturates and temps start to bloom; that's if it didn't start to bloom within the 30 minute test.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS