Question ryzen 5 3600 permanently in 4.2ghz boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2018
Hello,
i build a new pc and noticed that my ryzen 5 3600 is always in turbo even when i'm just browsing.
Disabling precision boost overdrive didnt help, i also tried turning off core performance boost, but that causes my cpu to always stay on 3.6ghz and never downclocking or boosting. Having my energy plan on ryzen balanced keeps my cpu always on 4.2, but according to hwinfo when i put the power plan on balanced (the windows default) then my clocks jump from 4.2 to ~2.8-3.5ghz EVERY SECOND.
I also think that being always in turbo causes my high temps, i have like ~42°C when just browsing. (cpu cooler: scythe mugen 5)
My old i5 6500 was around 30°C all the time with a crappy deepcool cooler.

So what can i do to lower temps and especially fixing that perma boost problem?

my hardware:
r5 3600
msi b450 tomahawk
3000mhz cl15 crucial ballistix
rx 580 8gb

thanks in advance

Reactions: zahid0406
Nov 23, 2018
well, why doesnt it downclock? and my cooler is beefy so im not really sure if 42c is fine. I think 42c are caused by being in boost all the time. if it would downclock normally my average temps would be 35c or even less.

Reactions: zahid0406

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Changing your Windows Power Plan to Energy Saver will limit your CPU speed and voltage.
My Ryzen 2700X peaks at 2200 MHZ in this mode.
You might want to change the advanced settings of the plan as it turns off your hdd, monitor etc after a short time to save energy further.

Nov 23, 2018
Changing your Windows Power Plan to Energy Saver will limit your CPU speed and voltage.
My Ryzen 2700X peaks at 2200 MHZ in this mode.
You might want to change the advanced settings of the plan as it turns off your hdd, monitor etc after a short time to save energy further.
yeah, but thats not my goal. i just want it to downclock when not in games. mine also stays at 2.2ghz in the energy saver mode.
Like whats the point of being in 4.2ghz turbo when watching a youtube video lol.

Nov 23, 2018
Go into the power plan
Processor power management
Minimum power state set to 5%
Having my energy plan on ryzen balanced keeps my cpu always on 4.2, but according to hwinfo when i put the power plan on balanced (the windows default) then my clocks jump from 4.2 to ~2.8-3.5ghz EVERY SECOND. and yeah i have it on 5% and im using that balanced mode right now

Your way way way overthinking this OP.

Leave the CPU as is. It's supposed to turbo even in lighter applications. Going to power saver mode will do absolutely nothing to save you extra power, heat and reliability with just clock speed and voltage. Because running a lighter application won't hit your CPU with enough load to make it worthwhile, no matter if your at 5ghz or 2.2ghz.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
This is exactly why I'm not a fan of the Ryzen Balanced power plan. It boosts all cores unnecessarily, increasing power consumption and potenially lowering the maximum boost frequency.

The way you're describing the CPU's behavior under the regular Balanced power plan sounds normal. The boost algorithm opportunistically increases the frequency of each core individually, based on a number of factors including demand. If there is no demand for high clocks, the CPU will go down to a lower power state. Windows also takes the average of all core clocks, so it's likely that one or two cores are clocking up to (near) full boost while the others are sitting at 2-2.5 GHz or so.

Keep an eye out for BIOS updates though. There are reports that there is a bug in AMD's release firmware that is causing Ryzen 3000 CPUs to be unable to reach their peak clock speeds.

Nov 23, 2018
This is exactly why I'm not a fan of the Ryzen Balanced power plan. It boosts all cores unnecessarily, increasing power consumption and potenially lowering the maximum boost frequency.

The way you're describing the CPU's behavior under the regular Balanced power plan sounds normal. The boost algorithm opportunistically increases the frequency of each core individually, based on a number of factors including demand. If there is no demand for high clocks, the CPU will go down to a lower power state. Windows also takes the average of all core clocks, so it's likely that one or two cores are clocking up to (near) full boost while the others are sitting at 2-2.5 GHz or so.

Keep an eye out for BIOS updates though. There are reports that there is a bug in AMD's release firmware that is causing Ryzen 3000 CPUs to be unable to reach their peak clock speeds.
im afraid that the beta bios that msi released will be the final bios on my mobo. Because with 16mb the space on the mobo is limited, according to msi. Thats why they gonna re-release a bunch of b350/b450 boards with incread memory to get a "better bios"

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
You'll be sure to see some BIOS updates. Because the AGESA code for the 3600 is already installed, the storage space has already been taken. It just needs to be overwritten. BIOS storage only really becomes an issue when adding new features or new CPUs to the support list. This is just a bug fix.

Besides, the A320 boards that don't support Ryzen 3000 all have 8MB of storage. That means they still support 25-30 SKUs, which is around 350kB per SKU without features taken into account. At this rate, X570 should have space for around 50 SKUs, 35 of which are taken at this point.

Aug 18, 2019
Go into the power plan
Processor power management
Minimum power state set to 5%

This is what should solve the problem. I have ryzen 5 2600x and I was not having this problem until I read this article. I recently changed power plan and other settings after installing a be quiet! Dark Rock 4. Your new cooler allows your cpu to overclock itself always and at 42 degrees it is normal during overclock without load. If you go to power plan and change minimum to 5% it will fix the setting that has been changed.

Your CPU will still jump periodically with low or no load and there is nothing to do or worry about. It is normal operation even with stock cooler.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
My 3600 stands at 4ghz when I am just browsing the net.
Did yo update the Chipset Drivers and use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan from the article I linked to in my last post???
If not, try that and set the Minimum Processor State between 5% and 20% in the Advanced Options of the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.
View: https://imgur.com/NUkwmzk

That will allow your CPU to downclock when possible.

Muchacho45

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Did yo update the Chipset Drivers and use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan from the article I linked to in my last post???
If not, try that and set the Minimum Processor State between 5% and 20% in the Advanced Options of the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.
View: https://imgur.com/NUkwmzk

That will allow your CPU to downclock when possible.

Yes I have downloaded the chipster drivers and it's on balanced power plan. I checked it like you posted in the pic, minimum cpu state is set at 99%... that is deafult as I never touched it. Is it supposed to be like that? What will be the diffrence if I put it to 10%? Seems heavy...

Muchacho45

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Change it to 5% or 10% so that your CPU can downclock at idle.
With it set at 99% it will never downclock at idle.

Why would AMD set it to 99%?

Anyhow I changed it to 20%, But I still dont really understand it. At first it dropped down to 3.6ghz~, now it's back on 4ghz and it still stands at 20% minimum. What's the deal with that stuff?

Aug 23, 2019
Hello,
i build a new pc and noticed that my ryzen 5 3600 is always in turbo even when i'm just browsing.
Disabling precision boost overdrive didnt help, i also tried turning off core performance boost, but that causes my cpu to always stay on 3.6ghz and never downclocking or boosting. Having my energy plan on ryzen balanced keeps my cpu always on 4.2, but according to hwinfo when i put the power plan on balanced (the windows default) then my clocks jump from 4.2 to ~2.8-3.5ghz EVERY SECOND.
I also think that being always in turbo causes my high temps, i have like ~42°C when just browsing. (cpu cooler: scythe mugen 5)
My old i5 6500 was around 30°C all the time with a crappy deepcool cooler.

So what can i do to lower temps and especially fixing that perma boost problem?

my hardware:
r5 3600
msi b450 tomahawk
3000mhz cl15 crucial ballistix
rx 580 8gb

thanks in advance
Hey,
i just bought a new pc, with a ryzen 5 3600. Mine is also constantly on 4.17/4.18, but i would like it to be on 3.6 all the time. How can i do this?

Hey,
i just bought a new pc, with a ryzen 5 3600. Mine is also constantly on 4.17/4.18, but i would like it to be on 3.6 all the time. How can i do this?
You can manually set a 36.0 multiplier in BIOS. But why? that would keep it from ever boosting.

If your system is properly set up you will only see it boosting occasionally so if you don't like seeing constantly in a boost then look at what tray utilities you have running. Things like iCue and Steam and Origin will artificially raise the processor activity level so it stays boosted with elevated voltage. So kill everything you can and check again. For those you find are causing it, consider whether you really need them running all the time....use them only when you need them.

Also make sure you've installed the latest AMD chipset drivers and are running the Ryzen Balanced power plan. And last, to monitor processor speed and voltage use a utility that doesn't affect it. RyzenMaster is good as is CPUz and HWInfo64. And only run one at a time.

Reactions: DMAN999
Status
Not open for further replies.