Question ryzen 5 3600 permanently in 4.2ghz boost

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2018
Hello,
i build a new pc and noticed that my ryzen 5 3600 is always in turbo even when i'm just browsing.
Disabling precision boost overdrive didnt help, i also tried turning off core performance boost, but that causes my cpu to always stay on 3.6ghz and never downclocking or boosting. Having my energy plan on ryzen balanced keeps my cpu always on 4.2, but according to hwinfo when i put the power plan on balanced (the windows default) then my clocks jump from 4.2 to ~2.8-3.5ghz EVERY SECOND.
I also think that being always in turbo causes my high temps, i have like ~42°C when just browsing. (cpu cooler: scythe mugen 5)
My old i5 6500 was around 30°C all the time with a crappy deepcool cooler.

So what can i do to lower temps and especially fixing that perma boost problem?

my hardware:
r5 3600
msi b450 tomahawk
3000mhz cl15 crucial ballistix
rx 580 8gb

thanks in advance

Reactions: zahid0406
Aug 23, 2019
You can manually set a 36.0 multiplier in BIOS. But why? that would keep it from ever boosting.

If your system is properly set up you will only see it boosting occasionally so if you don't like seeing constantly in a boost then look at what tray utilities you have running. Things like iCue and Steam and Origin will artificially raise the processor activity level so it stays boosted with elevated voltage. So kill everything you can and check again. For those you find are causing it, consider whether you really need them running all the time....use them only when you need them.

Also make sure you've installed the latest AMD chipset drivers and are running the Ryzen Balanced power plan. And last, to monitor processor speed and voltage use a utility that doesn't affect it. RyzenMaster is good as is CPUz and HWInfo64. And only run one at a time.
Thanks, ill try to figure out the balanced power plan.

I dont really need any boost frequencies, im completely fine with having a constant 3.6.

Audio31

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
Had the same issue, use the windows balanced power plan, my idle temps are now 25/27c

Also update ryzen master there was a flaw in the previous version and check to see if there is any bios updates.

Reactions: DMAN999
will a cooler master tx3 evo do the job? (at 3.6ghz)
At 3.6Ghz? locked, as in manually set to 36.0 multiplier in BIOS so it can't go higher?

Like that you should be able to set an (also manual) Vcore maximum of something like 1.1-1.2 V and the processor would run dead cool. No reason to buy anything...just use the Wraithe Stealth it comes with, set to a whisper fan speed.

So yeah, even a TX3 Evo would work OK and possibly be overkill.

Are you trying to spec out a silent PC project?

Aug 23, 2019
At 3.6Ghz? locked, as in manually set to 36.0 multiplier in BIOS so it can't go higher?

Like that you should be able to set an (also manual) Vcore maximum of something like 1.1-1.2 V and the processor would run dead cool. No reason to buy anything...just use the Wraithe Stealth it comes with, set to a whisper fan speed.

So yeah, even a TX3 Evo would work OK and possibly be overkill.

Are you trying to spec out a silent PC project?
I’m not really rooting for a dead silent pc, i just want to make sure the temperatires are perfect.

Btw: should i manually change this: in the bios the CPU ratio is now set to automatic, should i change it to 36.0 then?
Cant seem to find the vcore.

Thanks in advance

I’m not really rooting for a dead silent pc, i just want to make sure the temperatires are perfect.

Btw: should i manually change this: in the bios the CPU ratio is now set to automatic, should i change it to 36.0 then?
Cant seem to find the vcore.

Thanks in advance
Define 'perfect'. The processor is rated for a 95C operating temp by AMD, btw, so anything up to that actually is 'perfect' (so long as it's also stable). Point is: saying you want 'perfect' temp isn't enough to understand what your goal really is, if not a silent PC. So why do you REALLY want clock speed to not exceed 3.6Ghz?

VCore is in the BIOS... not sure where for your motherboard.

Aug 23, 2019
Really any temps above 80c are high and not perfect.

The stock cooler will be a little loud and run hot. Not dangerous temps, but not perfect.

Id concider letting the cpu at stock speeds and a big cooler if you want quiet and cool operations.
I have a TX3EVO, currently on 4.2 so gonna cap at 3.6, lets say i change kt from auto to a 36.0 multiplier; what should i change about the voltage

I have a TX3EVO, currently on 4.2 so gonna cap at 3.6, lets say i change kt from auto to a 36.0 multiplier; what should i change about the voltage
Just leave it alone.

Do yourself a favor and go watch the video below. He rambles, but he keeps it pretty simple. If you follow what he's saying you'll see that just because it SEEMS to be getting "hot", it's not really. It's still using very low power with very low heat output to match.

If you can't follow it...then stop doing what you're trying to do since you're messing with something you don't really understand. Just set things to stock, get rid of all the monitoring utilities you may have and just use it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZI9ZgwrDYg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.