[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 Really Hot

Seth Dreger

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Build: Ryzen 5 3600 with Wraith Spire

Gtx 1660ti

16gb ddr4 2666

So I just upgraded my cpu from a ryzen 5 1600 to a 3600. And when I installed it, first thing I noticed was my cpu temps were insanely high on idle. Like 55-60c, which isn't normal, with my 1600 I had around 39-42c. I've doublec checked my thermal paste and everything seems okay. Any thoughts?

Solution
As it was mention before, idle temps on Ryzen 3rd gen are around those values with most coolers (stock or avg aftermarket ones). As long as around those numbers you are fine.

What you should worry is load temps as Phaaze88 wrote.

For monitoring use either Ryzen Master or hwinfo 64. Pick 1 monitoring software and stick with it, don't run more than one at the same time.

For testng, you could try with CR 20 (you can set a "loop" time on the options, I usually put at least 10 mins - 600 seconds). For Ryzen 5 3600 in a decent case with decent airflow (and not soo hot weather) you may get up to 85~88°C after the 10 mins loop (with the stock cooler). Thats what I got on the two PCs I build with the R5 3600.

Game temps, as long as theres...
As it was mention before, idle temps on Ryzen 3rd gen are around those values with most coolers (stock or avg aftermarket ones). As long as around those numbers you are fine.

What you should worry is load temps as Phaaze88 wrote.

For monitoring use either Ryzen Master or hwinfo 64. Pick 1 monitoring software and stick with it, don't run more than one at the same time.

For testng, you could try with CR 20 (you can set a "loop" time on the options, I usually put at least 10 mins - 600 seconds). For Ryzen 5 3600 in a decent case with decent airflow (and not soo hot weather) you may get up to 85~88°C after the 10 mins loop (with the stock cooler). Thats what I got on the two PCs I build with the R5 3600.

Game temps, as long as theres good airflow inside your case, should be below 80°C (unless you play some really heavy cpu game)

If you don't like those temps and/or the fact that you may be loosing performance cause of them (boost frecuency and voltage will get lower too to keep the temps from going higher and higher) then you may want to consider an aftermarket cooler.
The one I got in my signature is the lowest I would go (as long as it fits inside your case) to get a much better experience, temp and performance wise. Otherwise you can always pick a AIO liquid solution. Or even pick a much better air tower cooler.

Once again, if you pick the right one, the aftermarket cooler will help you lower the load temps, and should help you get a higher boost frecuency on all-cores works, but you will probably see the same idle temps going up and down, thats how the 3rd gen Ryzen works.

Last edited:
Solution

Seth Dreger

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Thanks for the help, I figured it out. So for some reason, my bios had my CPU overclock to automatic, which is normally what its set to I believe. But this time it caused it to throw it to 4.2Ghz. Causing my system to overheat, so I got it back to 3.6Ghz. And my temps went down, but I am gonna invest in a better CPU cooler. As I don't like my current idle or load temperatures too much. Idle is around 50C with load being 60-70C.

Your CPU is and should be able to boost to 4.2GHz on 1 core, and around 4050MHz on all cores.

Depending on the monitoring software you use it may show as it all the cores are at 4.2GHz at all times (this has to doo with the polling rate of the app). Thats why Ryzen Master and hwinfo are the most viable choices to check stuff on 3rd gen Ryzen.

What you did I believe, is disable PB (Precision Boost) function from the BIOS. This will stop your CPU from boosting, and will keep it at base clock all the time, hence the 3.6GHz.

You can check all this data on the oficial website: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600.

Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS