[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 rebooting.

Oct 13, 2020
Hi all. I have experiencing problems with my Ryzen 5 3600. These are my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: Stock AMD cooler. Now, changed to Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler.
MoBo: MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Initially with the stock BIOS (2019-06-11).
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16.
Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon X480 8GB.
PSU: Nox urano VX 750W
2SSD and 2HDD
Windows 10.

The problem is that since 2-3 weeks (although really haven't tried games since mounted the PC), the PC randomly rebooted after playing different actual games except those with low CPU requirements (p.e. old Strike Fighters 2) and checking the temp with HWInfo, temperature was always close to 95Cº when i could check. Same in CPU benchmarks. Always with the stock cooler. Disabling PBO on BIOS didn't seem to work.

Then I changed the stock cooler for the cooler master hyper212 and top temp in this setting has been 75Cº. Have run memtest and prime95 with no reboots, max temp 75 also. Then tried to play SW Battlefront (the game that has given the most unstability and sooner reboots) and same problem. PCreboots even if it keeps cool in hwinfo after less than 1 min gameplay after loading the map.

It should be noted that i have previously run for years the same PSU-GPU-SSD-HDD with no problems at all with a i5-3450.

Any advices? I have read that many people experience similar issues with their 3600 and no clear solution...

Thanks for all your time and answers!

Solution
Please check your PSU health and check the cooling solution is properly applied , at equal pressure and correct amount of thermal compound because i own a Ryzen 5 3500 which has the same 65W TDP and 6cores but cpmes with an inferior cooling solution of wraith stealth cooler and even in the heaviest loads for half an hour it has never crossed 81 degrees while even with better cooling yours is at 95 which is too abnormal

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Please check your PSU health and check the cooling solution is properly applied , at equal pressure and correct amount of thermal compound because i own a Ryzen 5 3500 which has the same 65W TDP and 6cores but cpmes with an inferior cooling solution of wraith stealth cooler and even in the heaviest loads for half an hour it has never crossed 81 degrees while even with better cooling yours is at 95 which is too abnormal

Solution
Oct 13, 2020
Checked again thermal paste, reapplied and changed cooler. With Hyper212, max temp reached has been below 75Cº in stress tests.

The problem only seems to happen in video games. Also flashed the newest MSI BIOS version and disable PBO. I still keep getting random reboots while playing games (but not in other stress tests or heavy CPU loads). Also updated AMD drivers for the GPU. Nothing worked.

Guess I will have to check the PSU...

EDIT: Another thing I've found surfing the web for people with similar problems is the RAM. Lot's of people reporting the same Corsair Vengeance LPX. Some of them found to solve the problem using the XMP profiles instead of AUTO modes(will try), others setting stable vcore at 1.3v...

Too much mess for a casual gaming rig...

EDIT2: Checking the RAM... noticed that in AUTO ram speed is set in idle at 2100MHz with 15-15-36-51 latencies, while the test report in the Corsair web states it should reach DDR4-3200 16-18-18-36 that is the XMP profile...

FINAL EDIT: Could it be a memory compatibility issue? My DDR4 RAM are not in the QVL of MSI and AMD (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)...

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020
I would run Memtest86 to see if the RAM is faulty:
https://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-usb.zip
Run twice, no error...

This is really desperating, nothing seems to be wrong nowhere. Only thing found is that these memories are not listed in the QVL of MSI for Ryzen 5 3X00... will give a try changing for different models (QVL-supported). If not... maybe will have to downgrade to another 2X00 series Ryzen...

Oct 13, 2020
Since it only happens when gaming have you tried changing your Graphic Card Driver ?
Try using DDU and installing an older known working GPU driver.
Will give it a look. PReviously I removed the previous driver I had (supposed to be stable) and instaled latest Adrenaline2020 suite... but nothing.

Gonna install older 2019 driver and post the results here...

Oct 13, 2020
Driver upgrade and downgrade didn't work, even got worse (reboots even faster).

(As a note, have been using the GPU previously for 4y with an Core i5 with no problems).

I'm totally lost, have mounted many PCs and never experienced any issue. This seems to be a problem from the beginning (for different reasons, didn't play games until now) but I didn`t detect it... but don't know where it comes from: CPU? MoBo? RAM?.

If RAM change does not solve it will have to change for another older Ryzen...

deazy615

Honorable
Oct 8, 2015
Since it only happens when gaming have you tried changing your Graphic Card Driver ?
Try using DDU and installing an older known working GPU driver.
This might really help. I have an issue with my Ryzen 5 2600 as well, I get crashes from time to time when playing CSGO even when my CPU temp isn't high. Though my board(EZ Debug LED) says it's the CPU, after a clean install on my GPU(MSI Armor RX 570 8Gb) driver, I am not getting crashes until now(2 weeks and counting).

Reactions: DMAN999
Oct 13, 2020
Did you do a fresh Windows Install when you upgraded from Intel to Ryzen ??
If not I would Strongly recommend that you do that.
Yes, performed a fresh install and updated W10.

This might really help. I have an issue with my Ryzen 5 2600 as well, I get crashes from time to time when playing CSGO even when my CPU temp isn't high. Though my board(EZ Debug LED) says it's the CPU, after a clean install on my GPU(MSI Armor RX 570 8Gb) driver, I am not getting crashes until now(2 weeks and counting).

Will go for a new fresh Windows install and retry all drivers from zero. If not working, will go in that case for the brand new memos. Will keep you both updated.

Thank you for the help.

Oct 13, 2020
Tried in a fresh copy of W10, only the minimun software installed. Same problems.

Getting tired of this CPU...

Also: tried setting vcore to 1.3v as some people reported to be stable --> not working.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would update the Chipset Drivers in Windows:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

Then set the Optimized Default setting in the BIOS then reboot and update the BIOS to the newest version:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX

PS
I have a Ryzen 7 3700x on an Asus X470-F and I have never had any issues with it.

If doing that doesn't help I would try a different PSU just to see if that is causing the issues.
You said you've had it for years so it may be starting to fail.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020
I would update the Chipset Drivers in Windows:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

Then set the Optimized Default setting in the BIOS then reboot and update the BIOS to the newest version:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX

PS
I have a Ryzen 7 3700x on an Asus X470-F and I have never had any issues with it.

If doing that doesn't help I would try a different PSU just to see if that is causing the issues.
You said you've had it for years so it may be starting to fail.

Have done both before... i will go for the new RAM DIMM (compatible, although sounds weird for me) and new PSU.

And then, RMA the CPU and MoBo to their respective companies and return to my old i5-3450. To test which one is failing, I will get an old 2X00 ryzen.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i will receive a new one this saturday and test it, as I don't have any spare PSU. I will update.
Gotcha.

And now problems keep topping: it gets stuck installing the new windows.
How's the health of your storage drives?
You can use Crystal Disk Info: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

Also scan Windows for missing or corrupted files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

Oct 13, 2020
Gotcha.

How's the health of your storage drives?
You can use Crystal Disk Info: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

Also scan Windows for missing or corrupted files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

All in-use HD and SSD are OK, i do scan regularly with CD Info and no issues.

Same for Windows, no errors and even in that case I performed 2 clean installs...

Really annoying issue becasue everything seems to be OK!

Oct 13, 2020
Hi all. Now tried with a new PSU and the system seems far more stable: no reboots during yesterday in all the situations that would have led to a reboot in the previous settings. Even if I could not induce a reboot with stress tests (maybe because GPU and CPU would not boost at the same time), it seemed to be a power issue.

Will keep trying but seems to be solved.

Thank you for all your answers!

Sep 16, 2020
Hi all. Now tried with a new PSU and the system seems far more stable: no reboots during yesterday in all the situations that would have led to a reboot in the previous settings. Even if I could not induce a reboot with stress tests (maybe because GPU and CPU would not boost at the same time), it seemed to be a power issue.

Will keep trying but seems to be solved.

Thank you for all your answers!

Do updates me after 1 week thank you.

TRENDING THREADS