rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
So I bout this cpu 3 months ago and never batted an eye towards the cpu always clocking at 4200mhz during gameplay ( I use MSI overlay).... It wasnt until I discovered a small error on my pc which led me to installing Ryzen Master. I began noticing that my Cpu was no longer running at 4200mhz consistently. Now it is alternating between 4200 and 3600mhz which I have never seen before. I decided to look online and apparently running at 4200mhz isnt good? So naturally, as a PC newbie, I began sweating profusely at the idea of me running a fairly expensive CPU (for me) at a clock speed that isnt recommended by the reddit community. I havent overclocked at all and the whole downloading of Ryzen Master is a long story which involves Microsoft support. Could anyone give me some insight into this? I am just way to new to understand what is going on and whether or not I should be concerned.

<mod edit: language>

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Yeah, my clean install question related to number 1

those PCI devices might be revealed if you update BIOS & Chipset drivers. it is the answer someone else gets asking about the PCI Encryption/decryption controller

Update: I fix it, by doing Update Driver on the device, Browse my computer for driver software, choose this folder: c:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers\PSP Driver\
link

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, its turbo boost speed is 4.2 and its base clock is 3.6 so you aren't running it any faster than its designed to run
Base clock is fastest CPU will go while not in a turbo state
Turbo is fastest CPU will go

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600

I wouldn't worry, its possible your cooling in pc is good enough to always be boosting.

Ryzen master may have updated drivers, what power plan are you running in windows?

I would use HWINFO or Ryzen Master for tracking speeds, many monitors use the old way of recognising speed of processor, not taking into account sleeping cores. The discrepancy between what HWINFO and Task manager see is often massive. Task manager sees my CPU running 4ghz all the time, HWINFO actually sees its rarely about 300mhz at idle. Core effective clocks is closer to reality
UmyyvPX.jpg

Last edited:

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
well, its turbo boost speed is 4.2 and its base clock is 3.6 so you aren't running it any faster than its designed to run

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600

I wouldn't worry, its possible your cooling in pc is good enough to always be boosting.

Ryzen master may have updated drivers, what power plan are you running in windows?

I would use HWINFO or Ryzen Master for tracking speeds, many monitors use the old way of recognising speed of processor, not taking into account sleeping cores. The discrepancy between what HWINFO and Task manager see is often massive. Task manager sees my CPU running 4ghz all the time, HWINFO actually sees its rarely about 300mhz at idle. Core effective clocks is closer to reality
UmyyvPX.jpg
I was actually running High Performance power plan. I switched to Balanced and am now alternating between 3600 to 4100. But what confused me the most was going into every game with a guaranteed 4200mhz all session to today (alternating 3600 to 4200). Something made it do that and I didnt touch the power plan until after I realized what was going on . Thank you for the help :D

Colif

Win 11 Master
that still seems odd, as you should have more of a range than just base clock vs Max Turbo. It should go way slower at idle.
My 3600xt can get to 300mhz and lower at idle... if it stop typing it hits about 140mhz.

High Performance power plan runs CPU at 100% all the time
Balanced lets it go down to 5% usage but yours doesn't even go that far
perhaps try resetting Balanced to defaults, see if that changes anything - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...ower-plans-default-settings-windows-10-a.html

what was the small error on your computer?

Last edited:

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
I would like to clarify. I originally had my power saving plan at "High Performance" which I consistently noticed 4200mhz. I downloaded Ryzen Master (Microsoft insisted that it was a "Driver"....) after that I noticed clocks that didnt range.... basically they went from 3600 and then 4200 but never in between. So I decided "well the last thing I downloaded was Ryzen Master so maybe if I uninstall it then it might just go back to what I normally see. At that point I began searching online and the paranoia kicked in. I now switched to the "gamer" plan and am noticing that my CPU ranges froim 3600 to 4200 but not either or.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
We are getting into the end of spring here in the northern hemisphere so ambient temperatures are rising. As ambient temperature goes up you will most likely see more and more CPU throttling. Just something to consider.
I have considered it.... är du svensk eller? However it feels odd that earlier in the day (before speaking with microsoft) I was experiencing the normal temps that I am accustomed to. As my fellow nordling, you know that the night bring a breath of cooler air lol. Idk it just seems odd and the troubleshooting is overwhelming.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
Ryzen master installs some AMD drivers, mainly to monitor the hardware and allow it to overclock

Did you clean install like suggested in last thread? if you have,
Have you got latest chipset driver - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550
newest bios?
I am assuming that by "clean install" you meant power plan right? If so, then yes I just did! Also, since you asked about the error codes; below is a copy and paste of my post earlier today. This is what led me to Microsoft.
Recently I upgraded basically my entire PC (close to 2 months ago) and I decided to run the Performance Monitoring tool today. Everything passed except for 3 things and I really dont know what to make of it. The report states that I have 3 issues where Device Drivers are not installed (PCI Device). I decided to look further into the details of those Devices but they are unknown so I gathered the Hardware IDs from PCI Device Properties.... it looks like the devices are from AMD but I have no freaking clue what I should do or if I should do anything at all.
Ryzen 5 3600
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb
ASUS B550 Prima-A
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
250gb SSD
2TB HDD

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192886151@N07/shares/0S1j2D
I believe that you should be able to click on the link to see the screenshots that I took of the errors message.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, my clean install question related to number 1

those PCI devices might be revealed if you update BIOS & Chipset drivers. it is the answer someone else gets asking about the PCI Encryption/decryption controller

Update: I fix it, by doing Update Driver on the device, Browse my computer for driver software, choose this folder: c:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers\PSP Driver\
link

Solution

TRENDING THREADS