[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 running at max clock speed all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2020
Hello, so I’m kind of a noob when it comes to cpu clock speeds and benchmarks and all that but when I got my Ryzen 5 the other day I did a temp test because I heard the stock coolers weren’t great, I discovered that my cpu was idling at 55 degrees and when stress testing it only went up to 70, I thought I had installed my cooler wrong so I reseated the backplate and everything to no avail, I then realised that the cpu was running at 4.1 ghz even at one percent use, so I Went into the power plans and changed it to balanced and again nothing happened, then I downloaded ryzen master and tried to install ryzen balanced only to see that I couldn’t do it because my motherboard doesn’t support overclocking, if anyone could help me out here I would really appreciate it because I don’t want to rack up a massive bill for electricity.
Thanks in advance

Solution
It's normal for newer ryzen CPUs to run on the warm side and to have high idle temperatures. There's been a ton of people reporting the same thing with different Ryzen CPU's so you're not alone. My 3900x is the same exact way

The stock cooler it comes with is just "good enough" and not much more (as is the case with most stock coolers) but those temperatures don't sound out of the ordinary for a 3600. Keep in mind that processor can run up to 95c, so 70c is perfectly safe.

I would only be worried if you start hitting into the high 80's

Its recommended to get a decent aftermarket cooler but again if you're not hitting into the high 80's you should be fine

Furzumz

Reputable
It's normal for newer ryzen CPUs to run on the warm side and to have high idle temperatures. There's been a ton of people reporting the same thing with different Ryzen CPU's so you're not alone. My 3900x is the same exact way

The stock cooler it comes with is just "good enough" and not much more (as is the case with most stock coolers) but those temperatures don't sound out of the ordinary for a 3600. Keep in mind that processor can run up to 95c, so 70c is perfectly safe.

Its recommended to get a decent aftermarket cooler but again if you're not hitting into the high 80's you should be fine

Reactions: Kfue14
Solution

Furzumz

Reputable
As far as that boost clock goes it'll do that automatically if your temperatures are low enough. As your temperatures seem fine it'll automatically overclock the processor up to 4.2 ghz but in the event that it becomes too hot it will reduce or stop the automatic overclocking until temperatures become stable

Reactions: Kfue14
Jun 30, 2020

Ok thanks for the insight, I was just worried that it wasn’t good for the cpu to run at 4.1 ghz all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.