[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 running super hot... what to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2019
I'm getting very high idle temps on my CPU (45-55C while doing nothing) and when I briefly tried to run Prime95, the temp shot up to 85 almost instantly, and by the time I could find and press "stop" Windows had given me a pop-up notification that my CPU had exceeded 89C, which it said was "dangerous for sustained use" I know the max temp on these CPUs is 95C, but I've never gotten anywhere close to the max temp on any CPU in any of the 3 builds I've done prior to this one, so I'm not sure what went wrong here? I should probably mention, though, that those previous 3 builds were not too recent (I've built a PC for filmmaking about every 5 years for the past 20 years).

My case temp is only 35C, and even though I'm having a weird issue with my case fans where the LED's on them go off after booting (possibly will be solved with a bios update I haven't done yet) they seem to be spinning at reasonable speeds for that case temp.

So, I'm thinking my issue has to be either the CPU itself or my CPU cooler (or perhaps the fact that I used one of those graphite thermal pads rather than thermal paste this time around, but I can't imagine that would cause this drastic of a jump in temps).

Anyone have any ideas on what I should try? Might this be something a bios update would solve, or is it more likely something that's physically wrong with the install? The CPU fan is spinning at around 1000RPM, and I unfortunately wasn't looking at it when I tried Prime95, as I was panicked and trying to get it to stop as fast as possible, but at idle to 15% load, fan speed stays unchanged at 1000RPM... any ideas on how I can gradually increase how much load there is on my CPU without using a "torture test" to see if maybe the CPU fan isn't increasing its speed like it should? I didn't hear the CPU fan spin faster/louder as the temps were going through the roof.

Also, I'm using the stock cooler, which I know is crappy, and was thinking I'd probably upgrade at some point, but still, these temps are crazy even for that. Also I'm not overclocking and not planning to.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: valeman2012
Jul 7, 2019
I will check the voltages and see what they're like. Didn't think of that before because I never OC, so I assume they're always fine out of the box, but maybe not.

Also, I was researching Ryzen 3000 overheating issues, and it seems a bios problem on MSI boards is potentially causing overheating, but I have an ASRock B450M Steel Legend board. At least this confirms that the issue could be bios rather than hardware, though... perhaps I'll attempt the update before any more testing.

Also, my build specs, in case that's helpful to anyone:

R5 3600
ASRock B450M Steel Legend
32Gb Ballistix Sport 3200 DDR4
Geforce RTX 2060
Crucial MX500 1Tb

Jul 7, 2019
My voltages fluctuate between .99 and 1.472 with a max of 1.488... and that's at idle... that's pretty high, isn't it? So, would I need to underclock my CPU, or will they maybe address this in a bios or driver update? It seems silly to have bought a faster, 3rd gen CPU if I have to underclock it to keep it from overheating.

do you have PBO? It seems that this bios have something with very relaxed limiting.
if possible disable PBO, it should keep the voltage under 1.4V. it its not enough, try setting and voltage offset of -0.5V (should have neglectable performance loss, with some solid temp decrease)
For fans, there is soft that make you manually control it (sometimes from BIOS, sometimes from windows).

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
It's perfectly normal for benchmarking software to cause your CPU to shoot up to 85c with stock coolers.
My Ryzen 2700x with Wraith RGB coller does the same.
These Ryzen 2000 and 3000 series CPU s will throttle at 85c then they instantly switch the PC off if they get to 100c in order to avoid damage.

What are your temperatures like during gaming, browsing the web etc?

Although your idle temperatures are higher than normal they aren't catastrophic.
Try using Windows Balanced Power Plan if it isn't already your default.

Re-mounting your cooler onto your CPU with decent, non-cheap, thermal paste and following the correct procedure i.e. Not too much or too little paste will help if it is a mounting issue.

Thanks for listing your specs.
Which CPU cooler do you have please?

Andy

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 7, 2019
I turned off PBO and made sure Windows Balanced Power Plan is on. I've run Prime95 a few more times, and it takes about 10-15 seconds to reach 94C (at which point I cancel the test because I'm worried about damaging my CPU (are we sure it will shut itself down at 100 or does that sometimes not happen?) What's really weird is that no matter how hot my CPU gets, my CPU fan never spins faster than 2,000RPM, but when the machine wakes out of sleep mode, it briefly spins at 36,000RPM, meaning that the cooler is perfectly capable of spinning much, much faster with this setup, it's just deciding not to for some reason. I wondered if 10-15 seconds was not enough time for the CPU fan to spin up, but then it seems like it would spin up at some point regardless-- when I run my other machines at full load, the CPU fan continues spinning at high RPM's for a few minutes after I'm back down to idle.

My cooler is the Wraith Stealth, which I know isn't great, but from the research I did, it doesn't seem like a crappier cooler should cause this level of meltdown. I haven't had a chance to reinstall the cooler, but the fact that the CPU fan never spins up when the CPU is roasting kinda makes me think this is more likely a software issue somehow.

Is there any way to force my CPU fan to spin at full speed? I've heard Speedfan, etc. will only let you control your case fans.

Jul 7, 2019
Just found a thread on AMD forums where a ton of people are having my exact same problems, even the fan speed thing, so I'm hoping someone from AMD will respond: https://community.amd.com/thread/241662

Anyhow, it looks like this is a known issue, which is a huge relief! I've been searching my motherboard forums, but for some reason didn't think to search AMD till now.

Thanks, everyone for your great suggestions! Now I'm just hoping the solution will be some sort of software patch and not returning my CPU or something.

Jul 7, 2019
FYI to anybody having my same problem, changing your power settings from "Ryzen Balanced" to "power saver" makes a HUGE difference-- it changed my voltage from close to 1.5 at idle to 1.3, and I can now run Prime95 for at least half an hour without my temps just running away and getting super-high, although it eventually does creep up to 95C which is not good, but it stabilizes there and doesn't even throttle too badly. My CPU fan still never spins up, which is probably why the high temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.