[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600/Ryzen 7 3700X and Black Friday prices

execute_me

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
This is a follow up to a previous thread : https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...e-and-what-motherboard.3542212/#post-21396112

Now here's my situation. I asked previously if what CPU and motherboard I should get and the answer seemed to be the Ryzen 5 3600 with the Tomahawk MAX and to try and get faster ram. Now that Black Friday is around I'm actually planing on buying all of the stuff and there is this great website komplett.se thats currently has deals on upgrade packs.

It looks like I have 2 options. Either I try to find the R5 3600 as cheap as possible with the Tomahawk MAX, or I could buy an "Upgrade Pack" on komplett.se. The upgrade pack has the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Prosessor , ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming and HyperX Fury DDR4 16GB 2666MHz (2x8GB). Now the ram isnt a whole lot quicker but it all is for about 410 USD, or about 4000 SEK.

There is also an upgrade pack with the Ryzen 3700x for 5290 SEK or about 550 USD. ( Other specs are the same) Now would this also be worth it? I'm not sure about this one doe since it might be out of my budget. The only reason I really have to get the R7 3700x instead of the R5 3600 would be longevity (and there currently being a better deal on it) since it doesn't look like it will give me any significant increase in FPS currently, I do belive those extra cores and threads could be useful in the future?

Any thoughts?

Also current specs :

Motherboard : Corsair Carbide 330R Blackout Edition

PSU : Corsair TX650M

Processor : Intel Core i5-6600K

CPU cooler : Akasa CPU Cooler AK - 959CU

Motherboard : MSI Z170A PC MATE

Ram : HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 8GB Kit - I have two of these so 4x4GB in total.

GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor

Storage : 250 GB SSD, 500 GB SSD.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you can get the Tomahawk or Tomahawk max, that is a much better choice. The B450-F does not have nearly as good of VRMs as those two boards or the Gaming Pro carbon.

If you go with the B450-F then stick with the R5 3600 as you are less likely to encounter problems using that than you would be with the 3700x which has more cores/threads and a higher TDP. Either of these CPUs is likely to maintain their boost clocks longer on a better board, which in this case tends to be one of those MSI boards. If you prefer ASUS then I would look to a somewhat higher end model.

Certainly though, if there is ENOUGH of a price advantage, then the B450-F is worth considering but I would definitely not pair it with anything higher than the R5 3600...
If you can get the Tomahawk or Tomahawk max, that is a much better choice. The B450-F does not have nearly as good of VRMs as those two boards or the Gaming Pro carbon.

If you go with the B450-F then stick with the R5 3600 as you are less likely to encounter problems using that than you would be with the 3700x which has more cores/threads and a higher TDP. Either of these CPUs is likely to maintain their boost clocks longer on a better board, which in this case tends to be one of those MSI boards. If you prefer ASUS then I would look to a somewhat higher end model.

Certainly though, if there is ENOUGH of a price advantage, then the B450-F is worth considering but I would definitely not pair it with anything higher than the R5 3600.

As far as the memory goes, you will be leaving a lot of performance on the table going with any memory speed lower than 3200mhz. 3600mhz is the sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 series without a lot of fiddling around with timings and such. Also, if you can get a kit designed for Ryzen, such as the Flare X or Neo series kits, both from G.Skill, you might be wise to do that and avoid any potential incompatibilities. There is much better compatibility now than previously on Ryzen platforms but there are still a great many memory kits that simply won't work with Ryzen platforms due to the design of the module or the Intel based timings.

Solution

execute_me

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018

Certainly though, if there is ENOUGH of a price advantage, then the B450-F is worth considering but I would definitely not pair it with anything higher than the R5 3600.

As far as the memory goes, you will be leaving a lot of performance on the table going with any memory speed lower than 3200mhz. 3600mhz is the sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 series without a lot of fiddling around with timings and such. Also, if you can get a kit designed for Ryzen, such as the Flare X or Neo series kits, both from G.Skill, you might be wise to do that and avoid any potential incompatibilities. There is much better compatibility now than previously on Ryzen platforms but there are still a great many memory kits that simply won't work with Ryzen platforms due to the design of the module or the Intel based timings.
Currently I can't find a deal on the Ryzen 5 3600 nor the Tomahawk MAX, althought that might change when Black Friday actually hits. So right now they both put me at about 3640 SEK or about 380 USD, and that is without any RAM, so I would be left with my slow RAM.

I doubt that that would be worth it, but if assume that a sale on the CPU and mobo comes it might be. And for the Ryzen 7 3700X and Tomahawk MAX, I would be put at about 5230 SEK or 540 USD. So the sale that the website has basically just gives me really cheap, not that quick, RAM.

Should I just watch out until Black Friday actually hits and see if there are any deals on the R5 3600 or R7 3700X? What if there isn't a sale on them?

On X570 it does. I have yet to see anybody default to 3200mhz with a Ryzen 3000 CPU on a B450 or X470 motherboard. That's not to say that it can't, but none of the people I've worked with on memory issues with those combination of parts have seen that happen. It can support up to much higher speeds than that though, with the use of the XMP profile, so it doesn't really matter what it defaults to out of the box.

I don't know what to tell you about pricing or sales, or what might be. Hell, if my aunt had different plumbing she'd be my uncle. Wondering about what "might" happen or not, isn't particularly helpful. I can't say what will or won't be on sale, especially in different regions. Nobody can to be honest.