Question Ryzen 5 3600 - Should I upgrade from 2x8 to 4x8 DDR4 3200 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlreadyZ

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2016
Hello, Guys!

I am using Ryzen 5 3600 with two sticks of 8 GB DDR4 on 3200 MHz, and I want to know if I add additional two sticks of the same RAM for a total of 32GB will be worth it.

I saw that the Memory Channels of Ryzen 5 3600 are 2.

So will I be able to run four sticks at the speed of 3200 MHz, and will I get all the benefits from all sticks, or is it not worth it?

My motherboard is TUF B450-PLUS GAMING.

Regards,
George

Colif

Win 11 Master
adding an extra set to an already existing set of ram can cause BSOD. The more sticks you put together that aren't from same set, regardless of them being same types, the more chance of errors. Ryzen CPU can't do it as well as Intel CPU manage.

If you want 4 x 8gb 3200 buy a set with that in it. Less chance of problems.

Do you need 32gb? if so, buy it. I have 32 so I can't really argue against it

AlreadyZ

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2016
adding an extra set to an already existing set of ram can cause BSOD. The more sticks you put together that aren't from same set, regardless of them being same types, the more chance of errors. Ryzen CPU can't do it as well as Intel CPU manage.

If you want 4 x 8gb 3200 buy a set with that in it. Less chance of problems.

Do you need 32gb? if so, buy it. I have 32 so I can't really argue against it

The set RAM will be absolutely the same as the one I have already installed on my PC.

The question was if I would get an advantage of the benefits from 4 sticks since they mentioned above that the Memory Channels of Ryzen 5 3600 are 2.

0zyRdGu.png

Replace your current RAM for 2x16GB if you want 32GB. A lot less chance of issues. With for sticks, and especially when the RAM is from a different batch and/or with different MIC you get a lot of stability issues, the system won't boot at all or the RAM doesn't run at the advertised speed.

The set RAM will be absolutely the same as the one I have already installed on my PC.
Which is, brand and model?

AlreadyZ

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2016
Replace your current RAM for 2x16GB if you want 32GB. A lot less chance of issues. With for sticks, and especially when the RAM is from a different batch and/or with different MIC you get a lot of stability issues, the system won't boot at all or the RAM doesn't run at the advertised speed.

Which is, brand and model?

I am using Kingston FURY Beast Black RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz, and I was planning to get the same pair.

https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?partid=KF432C16BBAK2/16

Colif

Win 11 Master
sticks in sets are tested to work with the sticks in that set only. It doesn't matter if they are the same type, they weren't tested with each other.
We just trying to save you wasting money and buying 2 more sticks that could create errors you aren't having now. :)

Hello, Guys!

I am using Ryzen 5 3600 with two sticks of 8 GB DDR4 on 3200 MHz, and I want to know if I add additional two sticks of the same RAM for a total of 32GB will be worth it.

So will I be able to run four sticks at the speed of 3200 MHz, and will I get all the benefits from all sticks, or is it not worth it?

Regards,
George
You can but it's not guaranteed to work trouble free. I've done it a number of times without issue but some people particularly on Ryzen do run into issues. If you decide to proceed I would just be sure to buy the sticks from somewhere with easy returns just in case you run into issues.

Hello, Guys!

Regards,
George
Worth it?

First determine if your using all the ram you have now.

If yes then adding more should help.
If no then adding more won't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.