[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 Temp/Clock

May 19, 2020
Hi everyone
Just purchased a R5 3600 i just saw this weird spikes on my cpu temp and clock speed in msi afterburner.My idle temp in ryzen master is around mid 40s while afterburner shows Cpu temp going constantly up and down between 40s and high 50s every second or so while clock speed also seems to going up and down between what i believe the base speed 3600 and 4150.

This happen during the pc is idle and under load. Also, i found that while gaming, cpu temp in msi afterburner seems to be 10 degree higher than ryzen master(for examples: afterburner shows 75C but ryzen master shows 64C). Should i be concerned about this? is something wrong with the cpu?

how the spikes looks like in afterburner

Solution
Hi everyone
Just purchased a R5 3600 i just saw this weird spikes on my cpu temp and clock speed in msi afterburner.My idle temp in ryzen master is around mid 40s while afterburner shows Cpu temp going constantly up and down between 40s and high 50s every second or so while clock speed also seems to going up and down between what i believe the base speed 3600 and 4150.

This happen during the pc is idle and under load. Also, i found that while gaming, cpu temp in msi afterburner seems to be 10 degree higher than ryzen master(for examples: afterburner shows 75C but ryzen master shows 64C). Should i be concerned about this? is something wrong with the cpu?

Quite normal, it reacts to...
Hi everyone

Quite normal, it reacts to load at that time and windows are seldom in true idle state, always doing something in the background, It's one Ryzen features to be able to raise frequency on one, several or all cores. Raised frequency requires raised voltage, hence temperature jumps.
There are two temperatures reported by sensors and RM and Afterburner may not report same sensor.
Your temps are quite normal and in no case too high.
PS. Temps reported are just for a highest loaded core and do not reflect whole CPU. Ryzen also has internal temperature sensors and if one core gets too high (about 62-65c) lowers that core's performance while raising performance/frequency to coolest core maintaining overall CPU performance.
Most CPUs of newest generations do similar thing.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution
May 19, 2020
Quite normal, it reacts to load at that time and windows are seldom in true idle state, always doing something in the background, It's one Ryzen features to be able to raise frequency on one, several or all cores. Raised frequency requires raised voltage, hence temperature jumps.
There are two temperatures reported by sensors and RM and Afterburner may not report same sensor.
Your temps are quite normal and in no case too high.
PS. Temps reported are just for a highest loaded core and do not reflect whole CPU. Ryzen also has internal temperature sensors and if one core gets too high (about 62-65c) lowers that core's performance while raising performance/frequency to coolest core maintaining overall CPU performance.
Most CPUs of newest generations do similar thing.
so what you're saying is that its normal for the core to constantly spiking?

May 19, 2020
Yes, it's due to things doing something in the background at (near)idle and obviously while doing the work given to it.
Check your startup programs and background threads and see what is going on and how "idle" it really is.
aight i guess ill leave it be then thanks for info

ShadowRD

Distinguished
May 3, 2016
Hi everyone

i think that is normal, mine idle avg 45c but spikes to 68c or 69c sometimes, but under full gaming load it stays under 73c @4.2mhz