[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 temperature high with default cooler

howlerbr

Honorable
Sep 20, 2015
Hello, I noticed my Ryzen 5 3600 with default cooler is 60 celsius when WIndows is in idle (not doing anything). Is it too high? Maybe I did something worng while putting the cooler (this is my first build). I also added thermal paste.

Maybe I need a new cooler? Any suggestions? I was looking for this one Cooler Master AMD/Intel Hyper H411R RR-H411

Thanks,
Luiz

Solution
Hello, I noticed my Ryzen 5 3600 with default cooler is 60 celsius when WIndows is in idle (not doing anything). Is it too high?
Is perfectly normal. The temp spikes in one core when the processor boosts to a max clock even when "idle". And it's never really idle as Windows always has one of it's dozens of running processes that needs some processor attention. It's not the whole processor getting hot, it's just one small area of one core, so a better cooler won't help much at all with this.

Where upgrading cooler can help is for heavy sustained processing loads when temp gets above 75-80C or so. That's when the processor starts to pull back on clocks a lot more. The processor is perfectly safe up to 95C(Tjmax) but a...

howlerbr

Honorable
Sep 20, 2015
I added thermal paste without removing the one from the stock cooler. But it was only a small gout. Here in my country is summer and temperature is high, near 30 celsius

Hello, I noticed my Ryzen 5 3600 with default cooler is 60 celsius when WIndows is in idle (not doing anything). Is it too high?
Is perfectly normal. The temp spikes in one core when the processor boosts to a max clock even when "idle". And it's never really idle as Windows always has one of it's dozens of running processes that needs some processor attention. It's not the whole processor getting hot, it's just one small area of one core, so a better cooler won't help much at all with this.

Where upgrading cooler can help is for heavy sustained processing loads when temp gets above 75-80C or so. That's when the processor starts to pull back on clocks a lot more. The processor is perfectly safe up to 95C(Tjmax) but a better cooler means it won't pull clocks back as much and takes longer before it gets there.

Solution

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
Hello, I noticed my Ryzen 5 3600 with default cooler is 60 celsius when WIndows is in idle (not doing anything). Is it too high? Maybe I did something worng while putting the cooler (this is my first build). I also added thermal paste.

Maybe I need a new cooler? Any suggestions? I was looking for this one Cooler Master AMD/Intel Hyper H411R RR-H411

Thanks,
Luiz
60C in itself is perfectly safe, but for idling it seems a little high, though the stock cooler is known to not be able to maintain the 3600 on the best temps. I don't know how it would affect on cooling, but it is general knowledge that you shouldn't mix 2 different thermal compounds.
I'd only get a bit worried if it goes over 85° under full load, its still safe to run it around that but not optimal for the long run.
I also have a 3600, and i personally target anywhere from 30° to 50° on idle, and under full load anything below 80° is great.
You'll probably have to buy an aftermarket cooler if you want to bring the temps down, they're not very expensive (check deepcool 400 if you're on a tight budget, thats what i have) and it'll improve your temps for sure.

TRENDING THREADS