[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 Temperature Issue

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
MSI MAG Tomahawk B550
Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler Master ML240 ARGB V2 (using max fan speeds, disabled smart fan control)
ADATA D60G 3200MHZ 8GBx2

I don't use any Dragon Center features just kept it for RGB, I've disabled any settings for controlling components performance. It's showing 1.3900V for my Ryzen 5 3600, the temps on idle don't usually go under 45c, Ive disabled Game Mode from motherboard which enables Precision Boost Overdrive.

I haven't run a stress test because I'm a little afraid as this is a new PC and temps already seem problematic or at least something unexpected. Last night I was playing apex legends the temps were mostly around 55c and sometimes jumped to around 63c. My question is whether I need to undervolt this CPU to lower the temperatures. I am getting 4200MHz while playing games and the voltage it currently uses is 1.3900v as Dragon Center suggests and in BIOS it showed something around 1.3600 as well. This is by default I haven't touched any settings just disabled Game Mode from BIOS and using AXMP profile to run my rams at 3200MHz instead of 2666MHz which was default

edit: I'm sorry my question is all over the place but I hope you get the idea, I'm just kinda worried, the temperatures are definitely not crazy high or any thing but just unexpected from other results I saw on forums or youtube videos

Solution
...1.425V+ that's too high for 4.2GHz right? ...

No...it's spot on...actually a max of 1.5V wouldn't be surprising at all. It's only a peak reading, during a boost condition. The average voltage is probably much less. Get HWInfo64, it's got an averaging column as well the ability to make a graph from sensors so you can see how they change across time.

The CPU's rated for 95C Tjmax so 75C isn't pushing it really hot yet. In an all-core AVX workload, like Prime95, it might get well into the 80's but be perfectly safe.

Undervolting slightly might help hold up clocks a bit in heavy loads but too much can hurt performance and way too low make it unstable. But then again, raising voltage slightly might help too. Whatever you do...

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
this is right on where they should be with any good cooler.
if they start to climb ~10° higher then you may want to look into more aggressive cooling.

you should even looking into overclocking a bit, another 5° would still be within pretty decent temperature ranges.
so everything is working as it should? also can you confirm that the voltage value dragon center or bios show are within the "normal" range? dragon center showed 1.3900v to be exact and bios on the main screen showed something like 1.365v. I've never really messed around with bios settings for cpu or overclocking.

i just played apex legends for a good 2 hours now and temperatures on rare occasions jump to 60c+ but most of the times stay around 50c+ and even go under 50c sometimes. using 1650 super with this pc I forgot to mention that.

I've also maxed out the AIO fan speeds, removed some setting called "smart fan mode" so they are always running at 1800rpm now. i did that only cuz I was worried my results weren't what I expected. but I guess its all normal

so everything is working as it should? also can you confirm that the voltage value dragon center or bios show are within the "normal" range? dragon center showed 1.3900v to be exact and bios on the main screen showed something like 1.365v. I've never really messed around with bios settings for cpu or overclocking.

i just played apex legends for a good 2 hours now and temperatures on rare occasions jump to 60c+ but most of the times stay around 50c+ and even go under 50c sometimes. using 1650 super with this pc I forgot to mention that.

I've also maxed out the AIO fan speeds, removed some setting called "smart fan mode" so they are always running at 1800rpm now. i did that only cuz I was worried my results weren't what I expected. but I guess its all normal
I would not trust the voltage dragon center reports...i would not even trust the voltage in BIOS since it's not measured when the CPU is in operating mode (all cores operating, with background power management provided by a modern OS operational). The best utility to use is HWInfo64 but even that is merely an approximation and you have to understand what you're looking at.

Dragon center should be uninstalled and cleaned from your system as best you can.

Operating voltage with Ryzen fluctuates widely in operation. It spikes as high 1.5V in light threaded, bursty workloads and drops as low as 1.2V in heavy all-core workloads. In 'idle' it will drop all the way to 0 volts when a core is put into C6 deep sleep, but you will not likely see it. That's normal.

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
I would not trust the voltage dragon center reports...i would not even trust the voltage in BIOS since it's not measured when the CPU is in operating mode (all cores operating, with background power management provided by a modern OS operational). The best utility to use is HWInfo64 but even that is merely an approximation and you have to understand what you're looking at.

Dragon center should be uninstalled and cleaned from your system as best you can.

Operating voltage with Ryzen fluctuates widely in operation. It spikes as high 1.5V in light threaded, bursty workloads and drops as low as 1.2V in heavy all-core workloads. In 'idle' it will drop all the way to 0 volts when a core is put into C6 deep sleep, but you will not likely see it. That's normal.

Okay so I left HWMonitor in background while I was playing Warzone for a few minutes to test how it works on my 3600, and this looked weird, the max voltages its showing is 1.425V+ that's too high for 4.2GHz right? its all default I haven't touched anything and also Precision Boost Overdrive is off I believe. I'm also using Balanced power options as I mentioned before. Do you think I should undervolt the CPU? I was installing something earlier which used 100% cpu for a while and the temps jumped to 75c at one point.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet - Imgur (2 images in this link)

while playing games I've witnessed temps as low as 45c at some point, warzone is a cpu hungry game (like a lot more in the recent update that it used nearly all my 9400F's power) temperatures were staying around 65c+ in the game

...1.425V+ that's too high for 4.2GHz right? ...

No...it's spot on...actually a max of 1.5V wouldn't be surprising at all. It's only a peak reading, during a boost condition. The average voltage is probably much less. Get HWInfo64, it's got an averaging column as well the ability to make a graph from sensors so you can see how they change across time.

The CPU's rated for 95C Tjmax so 75C isn't pushing it really hot yet. In an all-core AVX workload, like Prime95, it might get well into the 80's but be perfectly safe.

Undervolting slightly might help hold up clocks a bit in heavy loads but too much can hurt performance and way too low make it unstable. But then again, raising voltage slightly might help too. Whatever you do, use offsets only and never use fixed voltage settings.

Reactions: LionKing12
Solution

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015

Undervolting slightly might help hold up clocks a bit in heavy loads but too much can hurt performance and way too low make it unstable. But then again, raising voltage slightly might help too. Whatever you do, use offsets only and never use fixed voltage settings.
Okay I'm really thankful for you helping me out with this I don't have much knowledge about CPU settings plus this is my first time using an AMD CPU not just Ryzen. I must say 3600 is a really weird CPU, I'm amazed by the performance but the temperatures it gives can be quite confusing for someone like me. I mostly play games and render videos using NVENC codec in Resolve. The temperatures I'm getting in games are really good. I guess I will just continue using my PC with the same settings and enable Smart fan mode on the radiator fans again.

Do you think I won't have any issues in the near future? Since it all seems to be working as it is supposed to. Getting optimal performance, low temperatures while gaming, literally no intention of overclocking as I am using a 1650 super, have provided good airflow to the case. Lian Li 205 Mesh, 2 140mm front intake fans, 3 exhaust which includes the radiator fans.

... I must say 3600 is a really weird CPU, I'm amazed by the performance but the temperatures ....
It is a bit weird since these Ryzen 3000 CPU's are the first line of widely marketed high performance CPU's built on such a small geometry (7nm). The small geometry has lead to problem with transferring heat out of the CPU die since there's just not enough available surface area. That's led AMD to change a lot of the operating parameters typical of a CPU and also work with the foundry to create temperature tolerant silicon.

If you leave settings in AUTO I really don't foresee any problems. You could even push performance some by enabling PBO. It won't really make the CPU use higher clocks but it will at least hold higher mid-range clocks as it's working harder, which also improves performance.

Last edited:

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
It is a bit weird since these Ryzen 3000 CPU's are the first line of widely marketed high performance CPU's built on such a small geometry (7nm). The small geometry has lead to problem with transferring heat out of the CPU die since there's just not enough available surface area. That's led AMD to change a lot of the operating parameters typical of a CPU and also work with the foundry to create temperature tolerant silicon.

If you leave settings in AUTO I really don't foresee any problems. You could even push performance some by enabling PBO. It won't really make the CPU use higher clocks but it will at least hold higher mid-range clocks as it's working harder, which also improves performance.

Okay, that just made a lot of sense now. Thanks again for helping me out. I have a different problem(?) where my GPU fans are at 100% when I start my PC, this happens for either 1-second max or about 4 seconds then PC boots up normally. I had my friend post a thread about that and we got an answer saying it's just one of the AMD things, I would still like another opinion if it's all normal. I have tried changing PCI-E from 4.0 to 3.0 in BIOS which didn't do anything (this was just my own guess since I'm running 3.0 GPU in 4.0 slot)

(8) Question - Gpu fans max speed on boot | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Okay, that just made a lot of sense now. Thanks again for helping me out. I have a different problem(?) where my GPU fans are at 100% when I start my PC, this happens for either 1-second max or about 4 seconds then PC boots up ...
That's probably something BIOS does by default. They usually bump up fan to high speeds at startup to test fans as part of POST. Even the PSU does it in my system, which is good because it's a GOLD unit with a fan that doesn't spin unless it's pulling a lot of power which almost never happens.