[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 temps kinda sus

Jul 6, 2020
Hi, I have a 5 3600 and a Arctic Freezer 34 esports DUO and after a factory reset with stock bios settings I reach temperatures of 80c on p95 and 90 on IBT.
Using Core Temp, CPU Z and HW Monitor to check while stress testing I noticed that the cores only run on 3.5-3.6 and still reaching the temp mentioned earlier.
Now the 5 3600 is supposed to be able to boost up to 3.9ghz on all cores or up to 4.2ghz on single core im pretty sure.
So reaching these temperates at base clock speed and non stock cooler seems kinda sus, could someone enlighten me on this?

Solution
Hi, I have a 5 3600 and a Arctic Freezer 34 esports DUO and after a factory reset with stock bios settings I reach temperatures of 80c on p95 and 90 on IBT.
Using Core Temp, CPU Z and HW Monitor to check while stress testing I noticed that the cores only run on 3.5-3.6 and still reaching the temp mentioned earlier.
Now the 5 3600 is supposed to be able to boost up to 3.9ghz on all cores or up to 4.2ghz on single core im pretty sure.
So reaching these temperates at base clock speed and non stock cooler seems kinda sus, could someone enlighten me on this?
It's normal for temps to spike when the cores are boosting. The spikes aren't very significant, it's just the way the 7nm process works so you need to pretty well ignore the...
It's normal for temps to spike when the cores are boosting. The spikes aren't very significant, it's just the way the 7nm process works so you need to pretty well ignore the spikes. Thing to do is get a monitor that has an averaging readout...HWInfo64 has one as does AMD's RyzenMaster program. The average reading is the true thermal state of the processor.

Ryzen also reaches max boost clocks only on a single core at a time during light bursty loads. So you have to watch it when just mousing around windows to see it boost, or doing something like a Defender quick scan. In a sustained heavy all-core load it will drop as low as it's base clock (3.6Ghz) if it's getting way too hot.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution