[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 temps with Hyper 212 RGB

wukashin

Prominent
Aug 23, 2020
Hello everyone, I have been wondering for some time if my CPU temps are normal regarding which CPU cooler I have and if a new Case would improve it maybe?

Okay so, the temps on my Ryzen 5 3600 fluctuate between 45C-50C when im on my browser or when im just doing random things on my pc, and when im playing games Its anywhere from 67C to 80C. Should I be concerned and worried, and would a new case fix my problem considering that I have a Cooler Master MB600L case with only exhaust fan.

Thank you for any tips/info!

Solution
80C itself isn't terrible but it could be the temp spiking. The CPU boosts when gaming and you see those temp spike when it does. The spikes all alone aren't really significant.

What are you using to report temps? HWInfo64 has a CPU Die (Average) temperature reading that evens out the spikes so you can see what the truer temperature of the CPU is.

Case ventilation is very important with any air cooler, especially when gaming. If it's not moving enough air through it then it will just wind up using the hot air from the GPU to heat up the CPU.
80C itself isn't terrible but it could be the temp spiking. The CPU boosts when gaming and you see those temp spike when it does. The spikes all alone aren't really significant.

What are you using to report temps? HWInfo64 has a CPU Die (Average) temperature reading that evens out the spikes so you can see what the truer temperature of the CPU is.

Case ventilation is very important with any air cooler, especially when gaming. If it's not moving enough air through it then it will just wind up using the hot air from the GPU to heat up the CPU.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Loads of questions, some of which could be answered by listing your full specs. The case you have had mediocre front air draw at best, so it could be a part of your issue. If the rear exhaust (only) fan is pulling air the way that makes sense in that case, then it's basically pulling all the hot air your GPU is producing right up through the CPU cooler.
Are you noting similar temps between the two after you have been gaming a while?

As to idle temps, I feel like that is a bit hot. What is ambient where you are?

I used and keep a Hyper 212 around as the back up fan in case of failures. I think it's a great cooler in respect to its price performance. On the 2700X system I have it typically idled in the mid 30's and went to mid 70's during loaded operations. My biggest gripe wasn't the performance, but the sound level on load.

Reactions: coolraveen

wukashin

Prominent
Aug 23, 2020

Im using the Ryzen Master software to monitor temps on my cpu, i'll try to monitor it with HWInfo64 too, but yeah I kinda think that I don't have enough air fluctuation in the case?

wukashin

Prominent
Aug 23, 2020
Loads of questions, some of which could be answered by listing your full specs. The case you have had mediocre front air draw at best, so it could be a part of your issue. If the rear exhaust (only) fan is pulling air the way that makes sense in that case, then it's basically pulling all the hot air your GPU is producing right up through the CPU cooler.
Are you noting similar temps between the two after you have been gaming a while?

As to idle temps, I feel like that is a bit hot. What is ambient where you are?

I used and keep a Hyper 212 around as the back up fan in case of failures. I think it's a great cooler in respect to its price performance. On the 2700X system I have it typically idled in the mid 30's and went to mid 70's during loaded operations. My biggest gripe wasn't the performance, but the sound level on load.
My specs are as follows: Ryzen 5 3600 - B450 Tomahawk MAX - GTX 1660s - 2x8gb 3600mhz RAM-be quiet straight power 11 750w psu - Hyper 212 RGB-Cooler Master MB600L
Also, the exhaust fan is pulling the air out of the case but It probably isn't enough.

The temps on the cpu-gpu are mostly similar I think, depends on the game i guess but yeah its maybe like sometimes gpu is 67C and cpu is 72 or gpu is 75 and cpu is 78 or something like that.

Its usually around 22C here in this room .

Oh yeah the sound is annoying, but for some reason in my case the cpu temps are rarely below 40C lol, don't know what I should be doing, new case, fans, cooler ?

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
To give you a perspective
Im using the Ryzen Master software to monitor temps on my cpu, i'll try to monitor it with HWInfo64 too, but yeah I kinda think that I don't have enough air fluctuation in the case?
I have a 3600 too, cooled by a Antec A400, I have a three intakes and one exhaust,

Now for me the air I pulled in by the three intakes and the cooler sucks it and given to the the cooler and then to the exhaust at the back which compliments the pull effect,

Now my idle is 41 - 43, and the max is 66 in games like odyssey, now for me I don't have spikes, if at all the peak core speed is between 350mhz to 1250mhz

Now if you have spikes then the spike will mostly be proptional to the background process which might be heavy, it might be windows related, bios voltage related or cooling issue, you have to find out what it is.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My specs are as follows: Ryzen 5 3600 - B450 Tomahawk MAX - GTX 1660s - 2x8gb 3600mhz RAM-be quiet straight power 11 750w psu - Hyper 212 RGB-Cooler Master MB600L
Also, the exhaust fan is pulling the air out of the case but It probably isn't enough.

The temps on the cpu-gpu are mostly similar I think, depends on the game i guess but yeah its maybe like sometimes gpu is 67C and cpu is 72 or gpu is 75 and cpu is 78 or something like that.

Its usually around 22C here in this room .

Oh yeah the sound is annoying, but for some reason in my case the cpu temps are rarely below 40C lol, don't know what I should be doing, new case, fans, cooler ?

Yup, I have a system that is one of the glass front type cases that looks good and where the one I have actually cools pretty well I see a very similar situation after the system loads, where the CPU and GPU are very close in temps.

Pull the side panel and see if the CPU temps cool significantly. With that ambient, it should.

Looking (once again) at that case, I would probably consider something like a single or maybe two fans on the front. They are only going to do so much with that intake, so probably think cheap, start with one to see what happens. I would probably position it low as possible to help bring fresh air in across the GPU as well as more active supply inside. That top fan is probably only pulling air in from the back panel slots below your GPU as it would be the least resistance.

wukashin

Prominent
Aug 23, 2020
To give you a perspective

I have a 3600 too, cooled by a Antec A400, I have a three intakes and one exhaust,

Now for me the air I pulled in by the three intakes and the cooler sucks it and given to the the cooler and then to the exhaust at the back which compliments the pull effect,

Now my idle is 41 - 43, and the max is 66 in games like odyssey, now for me I don't have spikes, if at all the peak core speed is between 350mhz to 1250mhz

Now if you have spikes then the spike will mostly be proptional to the background process which might be heavy, it might be windows related, bios voltage related or cooling issue, you have to find out what it is.
Yeah I do have spikes, I have had them ever since I got the CPU. And regarding the temps you mentioned my idle ones seem to be apporox. by 5C higher, but the temps in odyssey were around 75 I think or something, I can check that again for sure, but yeah.

wukashin

Prominent
Aug 23, 2020
Yup, I have a system that is one of the glass front type cases that looks good and where the one I have actually cools pretty well I see a very similar situation after the system loads, where the CPU and GPU are very close in temps.

Pull the side panel and see if the CPU temps cool significantly. With that ambient, it should.

Looking (once again) at that case, I would probably consider something like a single or maybe two fans on the front. They are only going to do so much with that intake, so probably think cheap, start with one to see what happens. I would probably position it low as possible to help bring fresh air in across the GPU as well as more active supply inside. That top fan is probably only pulling air in from the back panel slots below your GPU as it would be the least resistance.
I will try to pull the side panel and i'll notify you, as for the case/fans issue, would it be just better to get something like a meshify c or a meshify 2, or should i just try to bare with this one with new fans, would be a significant upgrade if i just straight up bought a new case?

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Yeah I do have spikes, I have had them ever since I got the CPU. And regarding the temps you mentioned my idle ones seem to be apporox. by 5C higher, but the temps in odyssey were around 75 I think or something, I can check that again for sure, but yeah.
So seems like your cooler is doing it's work just that check if the spikes is caused by bios settings or some process or program. Then look for the cooler, for me it seems OK, sometimes even the precision boot or voltage can cause spikes

wukashin

Prominent
Aug 23, 2020
So seems like your cooler is doing it's work just that check if the spikes is caused by bios settings or some process or program. Then look for the cooler, for me it seems OK, sometimes even the precision boot or voltage can cause spikes
So I should try and pinpoint what causes the spikes and then try to configure that or?

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
So I should try and pinpoint what causes the spikes and then try to configure that or?
Yes try to see what causes the spike, power settings, or precision boost, or program.
For me last week svhost.exe caused the cpu to run at 3.5ghz most times even at idle then I refered youtube and stopped and started some process in the registry, so like that we have to troubleshoot

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a Ryzen. It has multiple cores. And you only state a single temp. A Ryzen at idle puts all cores to sleep except One. That core has the entire load of all the background process lumped onto it, at a higher voltage. You read the hottest core, and see a temp of 45-50, but that's not cpu temp, that's only One core temp. The rest are much lower having no load and minimal voltage. Add any single service or process you get a temporary spike with startup, then drops back to running temps. Normal Ryzen behavior.

It's a Ryzen. It has multiple cores. And you read a single temp. With a load like games, not all the cores are used simultaneously. So some of the cores are at minimal usage at any given time. If only using 2 cores browsing , expect if temps are 60/60/30/30/30/30 you'd see a single hottest core temp of 60, Ryzen Master will average that out to 40, for the whole cpu. So temps are highly subjective depending on how they are read. Your game might be running master core at 80, 3 supporting cores at 60 and 2 idle cores at 30. Not exactly 80 representing the entire cpu. Again, normal Ryzen behavior.

And then there's the boost algorithm. Ryzens work by balancing load with power and temp. You might have gotten the same temps as prior, but the cpu is boosting more cores to higher clocks for longer with the hyper212. Better cooler, more headroom for performance and 80 is fine by the cpu. Better cooler doesn't automatically mean lowered temps, just means the Ryzen has more headroom to work with.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I will try to pull the side panel and i'll notify you, as for the case/fans issue, would it be just better to get something like a meshify c or a meshify 2, or should i just try to bare with this one with new fans, would be a significant upgrade if i just straight up bought a new case?

I would temper that with desire, money, and need. It's not that those temps are beyond design envelope. The case is a good looking and functional case by a reputable maker. I don't know if they do, but there could be a mesh front option, or you could even modify it slightly for more flow, or if your pockets and desire allow, get something designed for better flow and set this case aside for a more office oriented or less power build.

The only reason to pull the side panel is that IF temps drop significantly it is indicative of a poor air flow situation. If they don't it could be indicative of poor pasting/cooler application. Great way to narrow things down. With the temps you are seeing I don't expect you should see any damage from it, and particularly if you aren't seeing throttling.

As to the spikes, Ryzen has done this since second refresh/2xxx series and is pretty run of the mill for them. I would not be concerned about that aspect unless it holds at the high temp.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I would temper that with desire, money, and need. It's not that those temps are beyond design envelope. The case is a good looking and functional case by a reputable maker. I don't know if they do, but there could be a mesh front option, or you could even modify it slightly for more flow, or if your pockets and desire allow, get something designed for better flow and set this case aside for a more office oriented or less power build.

The only reason to pull the side panel is that IF temps drop significantly it is indicative of a poor air flow situation. If they don't it could be indicative of poor pasting/cooler application. Great way to narrow things down. With the temps you are seeing I don't expect you should see any damage from it, and particularly if you aren't seeing throttling.

As to the spikes, Ryzen has done this since second refresh/2xxx series and is pretty run of the mill for them. I would not be concerned about that aspect unless it holds at the high temp.
My 3600 is running with precision boot enabled. with balanced mode its pretty stable with browsing its like maintaining 47deg with 800-900mhz.

wukashin

Prominent
Aug 23, 2020

Okay so, I pulled the side panel off for around 30 minutes while playing Lost Ark, and the temps were as follows: The usual Temp on GPU was around 62C-67C it dropped to around 55C-58C without the side panel, for the CPU the average temp was 68C with spiking to 72/74C and it dropped to around 58C on average without the side panel off, also the room temperature was probalby a few C cooler because the window had been opened for a while before that.