[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 Voltage and Temp

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Ok so I upgraded my system to Ryzen from FX a couple weeks ago and I've noticed that it operated differently than the FX I had. I have Corsair H150i pro AIO cooler and so on the FX I had about 20-25C idle now on the ryzen its about 33-50C I noticed that in Ryzen Master the cores are frequently in sleep mode and then not and same with mhz it jumps around also up to 4.2mhz. I have the boost on in bios as by default. I've read that these temps are ok. Stress testing its about 70-72C. Gaming about ~50C. Also I've been reading up on the Voltages and right now I'm transfering a game between drives and the voltage is about 1.45-1.5V which seems pretty high. Is it normal/okay for this CPU to be like that? Should I change the Voltage in the BIOS? if so to what? Will I lose fps or processing power? Also should I update my bios? I have a MSI MPG X570 Motherboard and have not updated bios since installing it. there have been a couple updates since. Will installing the latest BIOS also include updates from previos versions of bios. Sorry for all these questions but I just want to make sure that my PC is running in a way that's best for it. Let me know of any answers information about this. Thanks

Solution
The voltage and temperature you explained is perfectly normal, the latest Ryzen operates normally up to 1.5V.
It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens - Thus your random fluctuations. In effect, it boosts a core out of sleep, so you have a big amount of voltage rush into a small space, thus the big and seemingly random heat jumps.

In doing this it also boosts it to high speed, then decreases and stabilises or stays at boost speed.

To help ease your mind further, here is an extract from Robert Hallock's post who is an AMD Technical Engineer who works with the community a lot:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The voltage and temperature you explained is perfectly normal, the latest Ryzen operates normally up to 1.5V.
It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens - Thus your random fluctuations. In effect, it boosts a core out of sleep, so you have a big amount of voltage rush into a small space, thus the big and seemingly random heat jumps.

In doing this it also boosts it to high speed, then decreases and stabilises or stays at boost speed.

To help ease your mind further, here is an extract from Robert Hallock's post who is an AMD Technical Engineer who works with the community a lot:
It is perfectly okay if your CPU is periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies, and you should see dips into sub-1.0V as the CPU goes into idle. These dips may be brief, and that's okay. Load voltages of around 1.2-1.3V are perfectly okay also. This is the processor working as expected. Ryzen is a highly dynamic system, with up to 1000 voltage and clockspeed changes every second. You will see a lot of bouncing around as you work with your system.

https://community.amd.com/community...te-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-ryzen-5-3600-up-to-1-488-vcore.3517037/

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015

https://community.amd.com/community...te-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-ryzen-5-3600-up-to-1-488-vcore.3517037/
Ok glad that those temps and Voltages are good. Should I update my BIOS to the 1.0.0.3abba? I've read that AMD said it's supposed to help with the voltage spikes. or should I let ot be for now as is and see if there will be future updates? and lastly should I just have it in "Ryzen balanced plan" at all times? Is that best as I do switch between gaming and just browsing kinda frequently. And I just notice it around 4-4.2 mhz while set like this. Thanks for the answer

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it were me, I would purely as it has helped some clock boosts.
Just remember it's generally not recommended to update the BIOS unless needed/wanted. And that it does hold it's risks.

But I updated my BIOS once the ABBA update was released.

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Just remember it's generally not recommended to update the BIOS unless needed/wanted. And that it does hold it's risks.

ok just downloaded the bios update going to update it right now. and because it is normal for that Voltage and Temps I will leave those as is and monitor from time to time. thanks again

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015

Just updated BIOS and ver matches the file name. Only thing that it did was diasble my xmp profile so had to turn that on and change dram speed back to 3200. Also in BIOS the vcore is set at 1.478V and dram Voltage also went up to 1.356V when I changed it to 3200 which the ram is. The boosts on the CPU seem the same, maybe Voltage changed a bit as hwmonitor is showing it go down to 1.063V at times and a max of 1.475V. As for temps maybe a drop of 2C but pretty much the same. Also I think that HWMonitor is showing a different reading. Ryzen master shows the Voltage to be around 1.25 peak and around 1V average. Same for temps ~36C Ryzen Master Couple degrees more in HWMonitor at times. and Voltage seems to jump between ~1.0-1.4 on HWMonitor. Thanks for the help will periodically monitor it.

Reactions: PC Tailor