Question Ryzen 5 3600 vs 3600X

So, from what I can make out, the only real difference is speed, 200mhz. Here in the UK, the 3600 is priced at £165 and the 3600X at £203.83. Does the 200mhz justify the extra £38.83 or would I be better off spending the £38.83 towards another component?

So, from what I can make out, the only real difference is speed, 200mhz. Here in the UK, the 3600 is priced at £165 and the 3600X at £203.83. Does the 200mhz justify the extra £38.83 or would I be better off spending the £38.83 towards another component?
The 3600X also has a better cooler and a higher TDP that allows for sustained base and boost clocks. Here is the review from Tomshardware with the 3600 https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-3600-review,6287-5.html the numbers for the 3600X are in the review as well.

Reactions: King_V and kurdtnz

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The X means that the chip has been binned.
So as stated, it sustains higher clocks, but also can overclock higher than the 3600 and sustain it. You can get lucky with a 3600 that does the same, but why bother when AMD is already binning and only asking for a tiny bit more in cash for it.

If you aren't interested in that stuff, and are just going to run the chip at stock and call it a day, then you can save the cash and get the normal 3600.

Reactions: kurdtnz and King_V
Feb 19, 2020
When I got this 3600x the difference between the two CPU's price was was a whopping 9 bucks.

I will say the new "spire" cooler not only has a lighter /inferior heatsink vs the original spire from Zen + (I had the 2700 non x for 16 months prior ) ...but ALSO the fan isn't exactly the same ...lower RPMs outside of manufactoring variance ...thinner material etc.

But I don't use the stock coolers for the CPU anyway , However the AMD Spire fans do have decent static pressure and due to the size and formfactor they come in ...I do reccomend them being placed under a dual //tripple fan GPU to pull air Up from bottom of case , Ive had alot of luck with this .. My 1660 TI used 1 on one side feeding fan 1 with two 120m's stacked under the other feeding fan 2 ...now I use both Spire fans 1 per 2060 Super fan and they work great for that use case.

Back to OP ... Id say if its 10 bucks or less the higher bin is worth it ...and U can actually use the Fan as it will fit in area's 120's will not nm 140's.

If you mod yer case (and u should obviously its a "personal" computer) after all yea? Otherwise just buy a PS5 or Xbox and let sony /microsoft build you a shoebox to stuff parts into.

But yea if ya alter the case internals as I have ...remove the PSU from underneath the Graphics card (HORRIBLE IDEA tho it does look nicer than the old top mounted positions for PSU) but if you are pulling 300-500 watts or even more even thru a 1200 watt high eff PSU like mine ..it generates heat .. Sure u have a PSU basement?? great the heat is still going to get sucked into a card that u don't mount differently. But Anyone who hasn't tried it I highly reccomend getting the PSU out of the equation all together if you can. Helps alot 3-4 C on max ..2 on average (sure doesn't seem like much but thats just the GPU sensor , nm the rest vram , sysram vrms etc that can now avoid said unwanted heat. n while 3-4 C doesn't seem like much when u are hunting max Clocks or max use on components less is better . 3-4 C converted to Fahrenheit is enough to where U would notice the change in your room haha , The graphics card notices it also.

Wow sorry ramble ...20 or less get it ... fan fits perfect under GPU cooler fan and u can fabricate force /direct air flow solution with 2 bucks worth of acrylic from lowes or hell , posterboard for 96cents from walmart