[SOLVED] ryzen 5 3600 vs intel i5 9600k

danishfaridi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
Hi Team,
I need to buy the System but i am confused about the processor which is best for gaming my only purpose is gaming but i need a future proof system that work properly fine for at least for 5 years.

Here are my two chooses
1. Intel i5 9600k
or
2. Ryzen 5 3600

and i am not worry abut the motherboard for both of the processor my only concern is about the processor that good foe long time.

Please help me guys

Thanks.

Solution
The built that i choose for the Ryzen 5 is

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus rog strix b450-f gaming motherboard
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB Series 16 gb DDR4 Memory Module 3000 MHZ

Is that built is OK and could you please suggest me best cooler for the CPU?
They are fine, however remember that the B450 chipsets often require a BIOS update before taking 3rd Gen Ryzen. So you'd have to make sure it has the correct BIOS out of the box, otherwise it won't run.

The 3600 usually comes with a cooler, so if you don't want to spend more money, just verify wherever you're buying it from sells it with the cooler and you don't need to spend more :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ultimately, no one will really be able to tell you which one will be more future proof, as who knows what the future holds. However some could argue the more threads of the 3600 is preferable.

Ultimately going off current research:
  • The 9600K hold marginally better gaming performance (and not in all cases)
  • But the 3600 has more threads and generally better multi-core performance so it's much better at multitasking.
Overall IMO, the 3600 blows the 9600K out of the water for value, because the 3600 is usually cheaper, where you get very similar performance, but then much better multi-tasking performance, and when the gaming industry is constantly developing ways for games to use multicores and threads more effectively, one might argue that's preferable.

Right now, the Intel Core I5 9600k has a higher overall framerate due to the I5 9600k's superior single-threaded performance over a 3600, especially If the 9600k is overclocked. However, a handful of modern titles cause the 9600k to reach 100% on all threads causing a sever frametime penalty, indicating stutter. This does not happen as much on the 3600 as it has 6 cores and 12 threads as opposed to the I5s 6 cores and 6 threads.

In 2017, the 4-thread Intel Core I5 7600k beat the 12 thread Ryzen 5 1600 in games of the time due to the I5s superior single-threaded performance. Now in 2019 with more modern games, the 4 threads of the 7600k get fully saturated causing lower framerate and much more stutter than the Ryzen 5 1600. Even when overclocked, the I5s single-threaded advantage cannot make up for its lack of cores and threads. I suspect the same will happen over time with the newer I5s vs 3600 as the I5s are still at a thread count disadvantage.

When new, the 4 core 4 thread I5s were considered better value than their 4 core 8 thread I7 brothers as the I7s extra threads did not provide much extra performance over the 4 thread I5s. Now since games use more cores and threads, the 4 thread I5s offer much less performance than the same generation I7s.

As games are progressing towards more and more thread dependent, I suspect the 3600 will prove to be a much better future investment. In reality, nobody knows the future, but we can predict based on the past.

Last edited:

danishfaridi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
Ultimately, no one will really be able to tell you which one will be more future proof, as who knows what the future holds. However some could argue the more threads of the 3600 is preferable.

Ultimately going off current research:
  • The 9600K hold marginally better gaming performance (and not in all cases)
  • But the 3600 has more threads and generally better multi-core performance so it's much better at multitasking.
Overall IMO, the 3600 blows the 9600K out of the water for value, because the 3600 is usually cheaper, where you get very similar performance, but then much better multi-tasking performance, and when the gaming industry is constantly developing ways for games to use multicores and threads more effectively, one might argue that's preferable.
thanks for that in amd processors is there any problem will happen after 2 or three years of use i means physical problems that after 2 or 3 years processor is not working properly or the motherboard is not work properly creating problems?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you're asking if AMD has a greater risk of failing after a few years than Intel, then no. They're both just as reliable as one another.

Obviously not saying they won't fail, failures happen ultimately, but it's not expected and not more one than the other.

danishfaridi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
If you're asking if AMD has a greater risk of failing after a few years than Intel, then no. They're both just as reliable as one another.

Obviously not saying they won't fail, failures happen ultimately, but it's not expected and not more one than the other.
Thanks for clear my confusion so i will go for Ryzen 5 3600 without any risk?

danishfaridi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
What makes your think there is risk in AMD out of curiosity?

They are just as reputable a manufacturer as Intel, makes no difference my friend :)
You'll obviously just want to make sure you get a compatible MB / RAM etc.

Ryzen 5 3600

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Ryzen 5 3600

They are fine, however remember that the B450 chipsets often require a BIOS update before taking 3rd Gen Ryzen. So you'd have to make sure it has the correct BIOS out of the box, otherwise it won't run.

The 3600 usually comes with a cooler, so if you don't want to spend more money, just verify wherever you're buying it from sells it with the cooler and you don't need to spend more :)

Reactions: danishfaridi
Solution
The 3600 comes with a cooler, and, short of paying $200 for a complex liquid cooling rig w/ reservoir affair to achieve all of perhaps an extra 50 MHz on an overclock to get an extra half frame per second, the provided cooler will suffice for most folks. If you have $200 to blow on cooling, then opt for the 3700 or 3800 when starting this build, especially if you want more certainty over it having longevity in newer games.