zak.littlechild

Commendable
Aug 11, 2018
I built my new rig today:

B450 Tomahawk Max

R5 3600

Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler

16GB 3200MHz DDR4

GTX 1060 3GB (my RTX 2060s is still on back order)

However while just rebuilding the files, and installing programmes and games the CPU managed to reach 69.5c, and Cinebench R20 pushed it to 74c

also 30 mins on Prime95 saw an average of 71c, with a peak of 82.5c

Now im new to AMD chips, always had intel, and this is my first build myself - but is this normal for this CPU+cooler. Or have I done something wrong?

Last edited:
Solution
Not really let it idle yet as ive been downloading and installing programs/games but its between 40-55c while doing that

In my personal opinion I think your temperature ranges are perfectly acceptable

Newer hardware these days has a tendency to run a bit hotter than older or lower end hardware. My ryzen 5 1600 for example runs about the same temperatures as yours and my 2070 super loves to hit the mid to low 70's and occasionally slaps its way up to the low 80's under especially prolonged heavy loads

The only cause for concern is if your CPU starts hitting into the high 80's consistently while gaming or doing any other typical task. But yours only hit a highest max of 83 under stress test software so I think your...

Furzumz

Reputable
The max temp for that processor is 95c

Obviously you don't want to hit that temperature but 82c under a 30 minute stress test doesn't sound out of the ordinary

Whats your processor been idling at roughly temperature wise?

zak.littlechild

Commendable
Aug 11, 2018
The max temp for that processor is 95c

Obviously you don't want to hit that temperature but 82c under a 30 minute stress test doesn't sound out of the ordinary

Whats your processor been idling at roughly temperature wise?

Not really let it idle yet as ive been downloading and installing programs/games but its between 40-55c while doing that

Furzumz

Reputable

In my personal opinion I think your temperature ranges are perfectly acceptable

Newer hardware these days has a tendency to run a bit hotter than older or lower end hardware. My ryzen 5 1600 for example runs about the same temperatures as yours and my 2070 super loves to hit the mid to low 70's and occasionally slaps its way up to the low 80's under especially prolonged heavy loads

The only cause for concern is if your CPU starts hitting into the high 80's consistently while gaming or doing any other typical task. But yours only hit a highest max of 83 under stress test software so I think your fine.

Just make sure to blow the dust out of your computer every 2 or 3 months. Dust really likes to clog heatsinks and raise temperatures up quite a bit if left time to accumulate

Solution

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
Post some temps from gaming only. i have i5 8600k with noctua d-15 chromma black at stock voltage it goes 60 at prime but 41 at gaming 32 at indle. If i oc to 5.0 ghz it goes 87 to prime 95 but 56 at gaming 39 at indle. Temps with hwinfo. Room temp around 26, 2 140 intake fans on front one 140 exhaust at back case coolermaster mesh white h500p.

2 intake at the front, 1 exhaust behind the CPU cooler, and all this has been done with the side panel off

You're a little light on case ventilation in my opinion...these days I generally shoot for 3 front intake fans and at least one rear and top fan for exhaust...mostly because modern gpus run really hot. That way there's a consistent flow of air through the case across all of the components and enough fans to exhaust all of the heat from the case. Even when running an AIO I tend to stay with 3 front intake fans and place the AIO in the top of the case and use it as part of the exhaust.

TRENDING THREADS