[SOLVED] ryzen 5 3600 with b450 motherboard

janck

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
Hello, I am building a pc but can't find a good and not too expensive motherboard. I have read that the 3rd generation of ryzen might not work with b450 motherboards. Unfortunately, all Msi MAX motherboards in my country are sold out or would take a month to arrive. Should I wait for a MAX motherboard to be delivered or can I buy a normal b450 motherboard and somehow make it work (update bios?)

Solution
Unless the motherboard has a flashback feature allowing you to update the BIOS without a cpu you will need a 1000 or 2000 series cpu to do the BIOS update. You can ask the shop if they can confirm which BIOS the motherboard has as it may come with a version that supports 3000 series. They may also be able to do the update for you at a small cost.
Unless the motherboard has a flashback feature allowing you to update the BIOS without a cpu you will need a 1000 or 2000 series cpu to do the BIOS update. You can ask the shop if they can confirm which BIOS the motherboard has as it may come with a version that supports 3000 series. They may also be able to do the update for you at a small cost.

Reactions: janck
Solution

janck

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
I actually have a 1st gen ryzen in my PC, so I will update bios this way if it does not work out of the box. Thanks for your help