[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600

Jan 29, 2020
Hey guys. I recently bought the ryzen 5 3600. And i saw that the temperature sometimes goes above 80°C while gaming, it averages about 75°C. Which is quite hot. I dont have any extra fans. I only have the regular cpu cooler and the case has 1 fan. (sharkoon vs4 i believe its called). Are those temperatures normal?
My specs are:

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 C16
1050 ti
Corsair Vs450 ( i believe )

Note: Ive bought some cheap fans but i dont know what screws to get as the ones that were delivered with it are waaaay to short (Arctic F12 PWM - [AFACO-120P0-GBA01])

So basically my question is, are those temperatures normal and what freaking screws do i need ?

Solution
This is actually fairly normal, the Ryzen 3600 operates normally up to 1.5V and its throttle temperature is 95 degrees (although keeping it below 85 is recommended).

It also has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens which happens a low loads, thus why when you're "idle" you'll see rapid temperature spikes.

But if it is say the cooling fan curve that you don't like, then just change the cooler fan curve to only ramp up at higher temperatures.

Also remember your ambient room temperature is very important, for every degree you are above normal ambient temperature, you'll be a degree hotter under...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is actually fairly normal, the Ryzen 3600 operates normally up to 1.5V and its throttle temperature is 95 degrees (although keeping it below 85 is recommended).

It also has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens which happens a low loads, thus why when you're "idle" you'll see rapid temperature spikes.

But if it is say the cooling fan curve that you don't like, then just change the cooler fan curve to only ramp up at higher temperatures.

Also remember your ambient room temperature is very important, for every degree you are above normal ambient temperature, you'll be a degree hotter under load.

So whilst 80 is high, it's not actually that high for the Ryzen series, you ideally just want to keep it below 85 for longevity, even more ideally under 80 degrees.

You could try adjusting your fan curve, or ensuring your ambient environment isn't too hot. Ensuring smooth and cool air flow through your case will also help.

In short, it might seem high, but isn't enough that I'd be worried about it. Ryzen operates up to 95 degrees. The cooler the better yes, but just ensure you have effective cooling in place to keep it below 85/80 for longevity.

Solution
Hey guys. I recently bought the ryzen 5 3600. And i saw that the temperature sometimes goes above 80°C while gaming, it averages about 75°C. Which is quite hot. I dont have any extra fans. I only have the regular cpu cooler and the case has 1 fan. (sharkoon vs4 i believe its called). Are those temperatures normal?
My specs are:

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 C16
1050 ti
Corsair Vs450 ( i believe )

Note: Ive bought some cheap fans but i dont know what screws to get as the ones that were delivered with it are waaaay to short (Arctic F12 PWM - [AFACO-120P0-GBA01])

So basically my question is, are those temperatures normal and what freaking screws do i need ?

It sounds like you're using the 3600 with it's stock cooler. In a case with only one fan to provide cool air to the CPU fan that's not good because it winds up using the GPU exhaust air to try and cool the CPU. Even a top-notch CPU cooler can't help with only hot air to work with. Try to get more fans in the case...one in the back for exhaust and two in the front pushing cool air in for the CPU and GPU coolers to work with.

Jan 29, 2020
75C while gaming is pretty the new normal for these 3000-series CPUs...; you might shave off 3-5C with a Noctua NH-D15, but, that's a steep $100 for a few C shaved off...

Just play, and enjoy.
So the occasional 80°C spikes while.playing are nothing to be worried about? Ive read that over 80°C is not really good for the pc but as far as i understand from what ive heard from you guys js thats pretty normal for this cpu?

I also heard that some bios settings make it way hotter than is needed but i dont really like to tweak in the biks unless necessary

Jan 29, 2020
It sounds like you're using the 3600 with it's stock cooler. In a case with only one fan to provide cool air to the CPU fan that's not good becuase you end up using the hot GPU exhaust air to try and cool the CPU. I'd try to get more fans in the case...one in the back for exhaust and two in the front pushing cool air in for the CPU and GPU coolers to work.
Yeah ive 3 fans waiting to be used but as i mentioned the arctic coolers came with screws that were way too short. I know this sounds really dumb but i have no idea which ones i should get