Question Ryzen 5 3600x always at clock speed of 4300 and avg temp of 70

SebRicho

Commendable
Jan 5, 2021
My recently purchased ryzen 5 3600x has a constant speed of 4300 which i would be absolutely fine with, if it werent at an average temperature of 70 and makes the included wraith spire loud as all hell

Assuming that you installed CPU fan correctly and PC case is not closed box without airflow, 3600X CPU with Spire fan should settle around 55C at idle. This CPU must be not maxed out on idle as well. Look into BIOS settings or in motherboard power profile utility. If you see something like "Performance Mode" enabled, switch to "Standard" mode.

SebRicho

Commendable
Jan 5, 2021
Assuming that you installed CPU fan correctly and PC case is not closed box without airflow, 3600X CPU with Spire fan should settle around 55C at idle. This CPU must be not maxed out on idle as well. Look into BIOS settings or in motherboard power profile utility. If you see something like "Performance Mode" enabled, switch to "Standard" mode.
i hope i installed it correctly, it is a closed box and i probably need to work on airflow but i still dont know. I looked into bios and i couldnt find anything on performance mode, i tried forcing the cpu power down to 40% by changing the maximum in power settings and the temperature went down with it so that might help diagnose?

SebRicho

Commendable
Jan 5, 2021
CPU should not be artificially nerfed. High idle load is due to wrong power profile. Would help if we will know which motherboard and PC case you are using now then.
Im using a brand new Asus Prime b450M and a corsair spec ops 4 case, ive never had any issues with the heating before in this case though.

Case seems fine. If you have at least one large intake fan at front side then even better. In your case I would do things in particular order then:

Check the system (Windows) against permanently active programs and services in background (ones who are tended to run constantly on 10-20%). Stuck Windows Update processes or too diligent antiviruses happen. Even worse when system is installed on old style hard drive with spinning platters. When these are resolved and system is finally idle, wait a minute and check CPU temperature again. Should be below 60C now (like 54-57 for your configuration).

If it does not help, check Windows power plan. If Performance mode is enabled, switch to Balanced. Reboot. When system is loaded and calmed down, check CPU temperature.

If it didn't helped, go into BIOS. Write down important settings you're changed earlier like XMP/DOCP profile, drive remapping etc. Then reset BIOS settings to default and reboot. Go into BIOS again, into hardware monitor and check CPU temperature. Should be normal now. If not then reseat CPU fan with fresh paste and fix air intake and outflow in PC case. Should help. Then you can restore your BIOS settings from above.

Considering CPU fan you are using now, you can try CPU undervolting later.

Reactions: kurdtnz
I have the same cpu.I used to run a wraith prism with it, temps were fine but the noise was a nightmare! So swapped it for a be quiet dark rock slim,100% better. As mentioned above, full system specs would help plus running it on the ryzen balanced power plan helps too.

SebRicho

Commendable
Jan 5, 2021
Case seems fine. If you have at least one large intake fan at front side then even better. In your case I would do things in particular order then:

Check the system (Windows) against permanently active programs and services in background (ones who are tended to run constantly on 10-20%). Stuck Windows Update processes or too diligent antiviruses happen. Even worse when system is installed on old style hard drive with spinning platters. When these are resolved and system is finally idle, wait a minute and check CPU temperature again. Should be below 60C now (like 54-57 for your configuration).

If it does not help, check Windows power plan. If Performance mode is enabled, switch to Balanced. Reboot. When system is loaded and calmed down, check CPU temperature.

If it didn't helped, go into BIOS. Write down important settings you're changed earlier like XMP/DOCP profile, drive remapping etc. Then reset BIOS settings to default and reboot. Go into BIOS again, into hardware monitor and check CPU temperature. Should be normal now. If not then reseat CPU fan with fresh paste and fix air intake and outflow in PC case. Should help. Then you can restore your BIOS settings from above.

Considering CPU fan you are using now, you can try CPU undervolting later.
i havent changed anything in bios and i tried a few of these things but it seems that even in task manager my average usage is about 10% yet when i look through nzxt cam the clock speed is at 4300 and the temperature is at 70c

I have the same cpu.I used to run a wraith prism with it, temps were fine but the noise was a nightmare! So swapped it for a be quiet dark rock slim,100% better.
Sure, I still can' t understand why AMD are selling stock CPU coolers who in fact doesn't cool anything. Wraith Spire and Stealth would be fine chipset coolers, but not for CPU.

Be Quiet Dark Rock Slim is fine cooler for Ryzen 5 3600X, yes. Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 is even better if he can get it on discount. I installed Dark Rock 4 on 3600X in my nephews new home PC earlier. Never heard it - even during CPU torturing with latest 3DMark tests.

Just make sure that is 100% your model
Agree here. When installed drivers and BIOS nephew's new PC, mistook his B550M Pro4 (ASRock) with B550 Pro4. Got a row of issues - "same" chipset and BIOS files, but doesn't install at all. After a hour realized what is wrong. The moral of story - don't search for drivers at 1:00 AM.

He have this board then: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-B450M-K/

New BIOS version 2409 (2020/12/04 ) - nice.
Updated AMD Chipset Driver version V2.09.28.509 as well.

Seems these two are the first he should do. Then correct Windows power options from above.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Windows start. Settings. Power.

Change it from Performance mode to Balanced power (it'll either be listed as Ryzen Balanced or just Balanced, one is AMD set, the other is Microsoft, but same thing now)

That'll allow the cpu to drop to an idle core instead of keeping all cores at turbo boost levels.

Ryzen are not Intel. An intel drops voltage and speed on all cores but all cores remain awake to split idle work amongst them, so all cores have 1-5% loads roughly. With Ryzen at idle, all cores are put to sleep except 1 core which has the full idle load, so runs hotter. But you only look at cpu temp, not realizing that 32°C for Intel is all core temps, whereas 40-50°C is a single core, heavier load temp. Freaks ppl out, but is totally normal. Spikes can hit 70°ish with processes and services starting as it's similar to an app starting up.

Work on airflow, that's going to be a big deal for idle temps.

SebRicho

Commendable
Jan 5, 2021
Windows start. Settings. Power.

Change it from Performance mode to Balanced power (it'll either be listed as Ryzen Balanced or just Balanced, one is AMD set, the other is Microsoft, but same thing now)

That'll allow the cpu to drop to an idle core instead of keeping all cores at turbo boost levels.

Ryzen are not Intel. An intel drops voltage and speed on all cores but all cores remain awake to split idle work amongst them, so all cores have 1-5% loads roughly. With Ryzen at idle, all cores are put to sleep except 1 core which has the full idle load, so runs hotter. But you only look at cpu temp, not realizing that 32°C for Intel is all core temps, whereas 40-50°C is a single core, heavier load temp. Freaks ppl out, but is totally normal. Spikes can hit 70°ish with processes and services starting as it's similar to an app starting up.

Work on airflow, that's going to be a big deal for idle temps.
okay i tried this and my clock speed is still sitting at an average of 4200, load sitting at avg of 5%, fan speed at avg of 3000RPM and my temperature at an avg of 68

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
So confused here have read posts above. 3600x also and would ask why is cpu sitting at 4200 or 4300 loaded when should go to 4.4ghz if it completely stock no bios changes? 68c loaded does not sound bad with stock cooler.

Last edited:

SebRicho

Commendable
Jan 5, 2021
So confused here have read posts above. 3600x also and would ask why is cpu sitting at 4200 or 4300 loaded when should go to 4.4ghz if it completely stock no bios changes? 68c loaded does not sound bad with stock cooler.
i have no clue why its sitting at so high, both of them are almost factory new and no bios changes yet it immediately goes to 100% use

TRENDING THREADS