[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600x CPU fan throttling!

May 23, 2019
Hi! I just upgraded from the Ryzen 5 1600x to the 3600x and the moment I started my PC, the stock Wraith CPU cooler was working at full speed. I tried to change the settings on the mobo for smart fan but nothing seems to work. If I put my old AMD Wraith cooler from the 1600x, it just seems to work perfectly and silently. I noticed the older Wraith coolers have a copper round plate which makes better contact with the CPU while the newer Wraith coolers don't have it. In my opinion this might be the problem, a problem for many consumers. I did temperature tests. The moment I open an application, the temperatures jump with 20 degrees and the fan just tries to cool it down as fast as possible which results in the throttling of the fan. Anyone any solutions for this? I'm planning to buy an aftermarket cooler maybe... because the noise it makes drives me crazy....

Solution
It wouldn't hurt. That cooler should be able to handle it although I haven't tested the new version of the spire. That heat and voltage seems a bit dangerous although I haven't seen a screenshot of your CPU loaded. If it's still hitting 1.4v on SV12 TFN in HWI64 when running P95 26.6 small fft I'd be concerned.

I'd probably just dial in a manual OC with reasonable voltages until they fix the bios if it were me. You should be able to do 4.2 ghz at around 1.35v on the SV12 TFN on that cooler sub 80c at full load.
If the previous Wraith cooler is better (ie. has copper core, bigger heatsink, etc.) then use it instead because it is a better cooler. I'm sure there is a reason why the new one is spinning faster than it needs to, but even if it wasn't doing that I would still recommend using the better cooler instead.

May 23, 2019
Like I said, I also think it's because of the way the cooler is designed. It's actually 2mm's shorter than the previous gen cooler and doesn't make great contact with the cpu.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah they really cheaped out on the new spires. I was pretty fond of the old one. I have 2 3600's working great on $30-40 air coolers.

Just in case this isn't cooler related make sure you are are on win 10 1903, have the latest chipset driver download directly from AMD, and also have voltage set to normal rather than auto in bios if you have the option. If you are on an MSI mobo I keep hearing about people having weird voltage/temp issues. I have Asus, AsRock, and Gigabyte mobos all working without any of these problems on 3600's.

May 23, 2019
I have updated absolutely everything to the latest version. I got the aerocool cyclon tower. I was thinking to get an evo 212 black series. I'm just afraid that the same problem will occur. I really can't believe AMD made a mistake like this. Could this be a mobo or cpu problem maybe?

Last edited:
A random snapshot in time might have had a single core at 4.3 GHz, while the rest where at much lower clock speeds; you'd need an expanded screenshot of HWMonitor running so that clock speeds and core speeds can be seen. (One core spiking to 75C in single core/single threads tasks, i.e., opening Chrome, might be 100% proportional temp increase to clock speed rising to 4.4 Ghz, etc...; these CPUs run warmer than previous generations, that's for sure.)

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Use HWInfo64 for monitoring. Ryzen master is good for this too. Don’t trust readings from hwmonitor.

Are you using an MSI motherboard? Have you checked to see if there is a setting for normal instead of Auto for your VCore voltage?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
It wasn't a random snapshot. It's always like this on idle. And I tried ryzen master. Same results for Core 3. I also have the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
Did you check to see if you have a normal setting for voltage instead of auto? The one core being that hot seems weird. What’s the usage, speed, and voltage on that core when showing that temp?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
It sounds to me like you might have a crappy Bios version. If there are any others that have zen 2 compatibility it might be worth a shot trying a different bios. Other than that you may just have to wait for a new release. Sorry man. I’m sure this is really irritating for you. I wish you luck.