[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600x CPU fan throttling!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 23, 2019
Hi! I just upgraded from the Ryzen 5 1600x to the 3600x and the moment I started my PC, the stock Wraith CPU cooler was working at full speed. I tried to change the settings on the mobo for smart fan but nothing seems to work. If I put my old AMD Wraith cooler from the 1600x, it just seems to work perfectly and silently. I noticed the older Wraith coolers have a copper round plate which makes better contact with the CPU while the newer Wraith coolers don't have it. In my opinion this might be the problem, a problem for many consumers. I did temperature tests. The moment I open an application, the temperatures jump with 20 degrees and the fan just tries to cool it down as fast as possible which results in the throttling of the fan. Anyone any solutions for this? I'm planning to buy an aftermarket cooler maybe... because the noise it makes drives me crazy....

Solution
It wouldn't hurt. That cooler should be able to handle it although I haven't tested the new version of the spire. That heat and voltage seems a bit dangerous although I haven't seen a screenshot of your CPU loaded. If it's still hitting 1.4v on SV12 TFN in HWI64 when running P95 26.6 small fft I'd be concerned.

I'd probably just dial in a manual OC with reasonable voltages until they fix the bios if it were me. You should be able to do 4.2 ghz at around 1.35v on the SV12 TFN on that cooler sub 80c at full load.
May 23, 2019
Thank you man. I aprreciate your help. I had de latest F40 bios, and tried the beta F41B bios. Same results. Do you think reapplying thermal paste and getting an aftermarket cooler might fix this?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
It wouldn't hurt. That cooler should be able to handle it although I haven't tested the new version of the spire. That heat and voltage seems a bit dangerous although I haven't seen a screenshot of your CPU loaded. If it's still hitting 1.4v on SV12 TFN in HWI64 when running P95 26.6 small fft I'd be concerned.

I'd probably just dial in a manual OC with reasonable voltages until they fix the bios if it were me. You should be able to do 4.2 ghz at around 1.35v on the SV12 TFN on that cooler sub 80c at full load.

Solution

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
These voltages look fine except the 1.4 in CPU-Z. Was there anything running at all other than CPU-Z when you had it open? If so kill everything in task manager and try again. You should be seeing sub 1v in there.

In any event since the CPU is properly shifting down to low 1.3v range when loaded I now think your cooler might not be seated properly. This might explain the hot core. I'm still not sure if cooler is good enough for the CPU but reseating it is probably worth a try. Those screws should be snug. Not loose and not cranked. A hyper 212 or similar should do just fine if you ultimately decide to replace it.

PS: hit the outward pointing arrows in HWIFO64 in the bottom left corner.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I reseated it 3x. No succes. Also when using CPU-Z on idle. It idles between 0.210 and 1.1 volts, but jumps up to 1.4v+ sometimes
That voltage behavior seems normal. The CPU will hit 1.4 when it turbos up full. Light background tasks in windows will trigger that. As long as its not constantly stuck at 1.4 i think you are okay. The sub 1v -1.4v when at the desktop with nothing but monitoring software running and the low 1.3v under full load is consistent with what I see as on my CPU's as well. It appears the CPU and bios are working correctly.
Look what I just discovered. One core is wayy warmer than the rest. Maybe this causes the cooler to peak. I have never seen anything this ridicilous before. a 40 degree difference? What the heck?
View: https://imgur.com/4evy8nD

View: https://imgur.com/4AtbyPN
This is still possibly a concern. Is that core way hotter when you run P95 or similar heavy stress test on all cores? I suspect you just noticed this temp when that core happened to be loaded by something in the background and it was turboing up. If it is actually way hotter when all cores loaded I think you may want to exchange the CPU if possible. If it isn't I'd just buy a new cooler and move on with life. The fan noise alone makes that thing worth replacing.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Alright man. I ordered an evo 212 black series which was on sale so hooray for my luck. I'll run the tests tomorrow and I'llblet you know asap. Thanks for sticking around in this mess.
No problem man. I'm not sure I was much help but I was happy to try. I think that cooler should do great. I had really good luck with a DeepCool gammax GT that is very similar to that cooler. I did some testing with a 240 AIO yesterday that also does phenomenal on a 3600. Here is the thread with my testing in it if you are interested.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ryzen-5-3600-w-wraith-stealth-cooler-temps.3501705/