Rtx 2060 zotac gaming 6gb
Hdd 7200rpm
Ssd nvme gigabyte 512gb
1 intake dc fan,
1 exhaust pwm fan
550w power supply bronze thermal take
m-ATX casing

vwge7BT.jpg

Why does my cpu temps were so high during gaming session? Refer to attached pictures
Does my cpu cooler not seated correctly?

Last edited:
Solution
That should make a difference for all temps. 3 intakes, and 3 exhausts, it should be chilly in there.

It looks better than the old case did, no one needs hdd cages anymore :)

Is that a Corsair case as I think I just helped someone else with same one. I thought I was seeing double.

I went from this

NbVl9M7.jpg

(Left is front, mb is rotated 90 degrees so everything that is normally at back of case is at top)
to this
o139ObX.jpg

and although new case looks better, the top one has better cooling ability. Its just old and had features I don't need... like 5 cd drive cages. I still have it in my room.

Hard to compete against 3 x 180mm fans
Glass isn't as good for keeping it quiet...

Colif

Win 11 Master
AMD see anything below 95c as fine, and 80 is reasonable, so they aren't high temps really for gaming

I can't compare today as I haven't played anything but I was seeing 65c yesterday
CPU CCD 1 (Tdie) is the average temp of all cores, ignoring the spiking one , and if your PC anything like my 3600XT the hottest time of day is boot when it goes nuts loading everything. if its only 55c during game, its not that bad.

you could probably do with another intake fan if case allows

go into settings in HWINFO and on general tab, change polling to 500ms & click set button, will increase accuracy of how often temps update, as most of the time you are seeing spikes but it may not stay that high.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
A 10C difference between hottest core and average core in the CPU is normal on Ryzen as 1 core is always spiking to max speed and then racing to idle again. Even at idle this will happen, currently my Hottest is bouncing between 43 & 51C whereas Average is closer to 38c

l4jKW5S.jpg

CPU tcl/tdie is the highest core temp in package, its often 10c warmer than the average or lowest die temp. which are represented by the 2 following values.

I love to know why the tooltips only show up sometimes, it makes it so much easier to see what values mean with them.

I just ignore CPU tcl/tdie and mainly track CPU CCD1 (Tdie) as its closer to actual temps of 5 of the 6 cores.

If you change the polling rate like I suggested above, it won't look as bad.

jerry_96

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
AMD see anything below 95c as fine, and 80 is reasonable, so they aren't high temps really for gaming

I can't compare today as I haven't played anything but I was seeing 65c yesterday
CPU CCD 1 (Tdie) is the average temp of all cores, ignoring the spiking one , and if your PC anything like my 3600XT the hottest time of day is boot when it goes nuts loading everything. if its only 55c during game, its not that bad.

you could probably do with another intake fan if case allows

go into settings in HWINFO and on general tab, change polling to 500ms & click set button, will increase accuracy of how often temps update, as most of the time you are seeing spikes but it may not stay that high.
For your information, i have set the polling rates to 500ms

jerry_96

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
A 10C difference between hottest core and average core in the CPU is normal on Ryzen as 1 core is always spiking to max speed and then racing to idle again. Even at idle this will happen, currently my Hottest is bouncing between 43 & 51C whereas Average is closer to 38c

l4jKW5S.jpg

CPU tcl/tdie is the highest core temp in package, its often 10c warmer than the average or lowest die temp. which are represented by the 2 following values.

I love to know why the tooltips only show up sometimes, it makes it so much easier to see what values mean with them.

I just ignore CPU tcl/tdie and mainly track CPU CCD1 (Tdie) as its closer to actual temps of 5 of the 6 cores.

If you change the polling rate like I suggested above, it won't look as bad.
Alright, i will only looks for TDie poll to observe the temperature. I thought the max temp is in constant rate when looking at (tcl/tdie) .

so i should not be worried as this is normal for ryzen temperature to fluctuate.

jerry_96

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
he has one of each, so in theory, balanced air but that is difficult to get right

edited ops post to make that fact more obvious, he had the picture in middle of specs list :)
My place is around 29 degree celcius of ambient temperature. Does it termendously effects my cpu temperature ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are temps like at idle?

95C is max CPU should run at, it will start to throttle down at that temp - I see your max during the test was 95C, or at least, your PC reached it today so you might want to look at cooling in the case. It might pay to look at mounting of cooler, but it sort of depends on what idle temps are.

The game I have been playing doesn't raise CPU temps at all, it was about 41c during the game, I should try something harder maybe, 8 threads were running at 4.3ghz at some stage though.

My place is around 29 degree celcius of ambient temperature. Does it termendously effects my cpu temperature ?

Ambient is base it won't go below, so it does have some effect. No Air-conditioning there? no windows to open? I live in Australia, no A/C myself but I have put dark covers on windows and it keeps heat out.

I use a 240mm AIO and although its 2c here right now, my CPU never goes below 36C except at startup on cold mornings, then it only goes above 30 if I run a video. It also never goes above 41C even if the ambient outside is 39C, I don't open windows on those days. I may increase AIO fan speeds to combat warmer temps, it wasn't really a hot summer that just passed so I will have to wait 9 months before I get hot days again.

Ryzen temps are not consistent as there is something like 500 temp sensors on the Ryzen 3600 cores, and so the max temp you see is likely 1 core only, mine uses cores 0 & 1 more than any others, So the max temp is 1 core, the other 5 are likely in less active states. It wakes one core when it needs a job done, it boosts to max or what speed is necessary, and then it races to idle again, so the CPU (tcl/tdie) is max temp of any core, but its constantly going up to and down about 9c all day. If you like me and just want to know a more stable temp, use one of the other 2.
the one I use is very close to what Ryzen Master records for CPU, but they haven't shared the formula with HWINFO so it isn't a total match - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/hwinfo64-which-cpu-temp-is-correct.3535427/

Last edited:

jerry_96

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
what are temps like at idle?

95C is max CPU should run at, it will start to throttle down at that temp - I see your max during the test was 95C, or at least, your PC reached it today so you might want to look at cooling in the case. It might pay to look at mounting of cooler, but it sort of depends on what idle temps are.

The game I have been playing doesn't raise CPU temps at all, it was about 41c during the game, I should try something harder maybe, 8 threads were running at 4.3ghz at some stage though.

Ambient is base it won't go below, so it does have some effect. No Air-conditioning there? no windows to open? I live in Australia, no A/C myself but I have put dark covers on windows and it keeps heat out.

I use a 240mm AIO and although its 2c here right now, my CPU never goes below 36C except at startup on cold mornings, then it only goes above 30 if I run a video. It also never goes above 41C even if the ambient outside is 39C, I don't open windows on those days. I may increase AIO fan speeds to combat warmer temps, it wasn't really a hot summer that just passed so I will have to wait 9 months before I get hot days again.

Ryzen temps are not consistent as there is something like 500 temp sensors on the Ryzen 3600 cores, and so the max temp you see is likely 1 core only, mine uses cores 0 & 1 more than any others, So the max temp is 1 core, the other 5 are likely in less active states. It wakes one core when it needs a job done, it boosts to max or what speed is necessary, and then it races to idle again, so the CPU (tcl/tdie) is max temp of any core, but its constantly going up to and down about 9c all day. If you like me and just want to know a more stable temp, use one of the other 2.
the one I use is very close to what Ryzen Master records for CPU, but they haven't shared the formula with HWINFO so it isn't a total match - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/hwinfo64-which-cpu-temp-is-correct.3535427/
On idle my CPU tdie is at 45c-51c maximum.
I dont have a/c in my house, i live in malaysia. A country with hot and high humidity. Opening a windows seems the same, it is hot here.
I will post my pc case later in this thread.

Seems illogical if my cpu heatsink were not properly seated. As the temperature were dropped if no usage of demanding task/games .

Because i just bought the arctic freezer 7x, it seems waste of money if i bought a new aio for
my cpu.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Isn't that in the tropics? raining or hot all year, we have half of the top end of our country is like that all year. I have friends who live up there and freeze when they visit me - Australia so big we hot and cold at same time.

idle temps are normal, your in game are high, so it could be the hot air isn't being taken out of case effectively.

I have 2 intakes and 3 exhausts, but then its an ATX case (click on picture to see build) and a big one, but not as big as one I had before.

AIO - Yeah, I wasn't suggesting you get one, it may not fit well in case anyway.

Your CPU will be about 9C hotter than mine for example due to the ambient temperature difference. Having had a look at your CPU cooler it doesn't look like a super great one so I don't think there is anything wrong as such. If you want lower temperatures you will have to change it I guess, or add more case fans.

jerry_96

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Your CPU will be about 9C hotter than mine for example due to the ambient temperature difference. Having had a look at your CPU cooler it doesn't look like a super great one so I don't think there is anything wrong as such. If you want lower temperatures you will have to change it I guess, or add more case fans.
This is my pc case. 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it doesn't help first image is upside down. Are there any vents at all on front? I see holes cut inside but is there a gap on front to actually let air in?

vent on side appears to be only intake?
interesting way to keep fans attached.

It wouldn't be my 1st choice for a pc case. Mind you, case I got wasn't my ideal choice either but 2020 happened.

jerry_96

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
it doesn't help first image is upside down. Are there any vents at all on front? I see holes cut inside but is there a gap on front to actually let air in?

vent on side appears to be only intake?
interesting way to keep fans attached.

It wouldn't be my 1st choice for a pc case. Mind you, case I got wasn't my ideal choice either but 2020 happened.
It just a hole from inside the case, there were no vents for ventilation infront.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would get another case, one with a mesh front, or even top ventilation, 2 fans isn't enough, you need to let the heat out.

right now only place it can exit is through PSU or back vent. Taking sides off would help too...

you could maybe attach fan to front, it won't be getting any new air itself but it might help blow heat away from cpu and out back...

Colif

Win 11 Master
The biggest source of heat in gaming is your GPU. In your current set up, the only place that heat can go in game is directly into CPU or gets stuck at bottom of case near GPU.

I assume the rear is the exhaust? it doesn't matter, both fans are high enough in case to feed CPU but what about GPU? where is its air meant to go? What temps do you see on GPU?

All you need is a case with more air vents, doesn't have to be fancy, just needs more than 1 place for air to get in/out... would fix your problem. Entire front and top/back of my case is mesh, i just don't look at front often as it points away from me towards my window figuring it can get cool air first.

taking side off isn't actually a solution when a fan is mounted to it now.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hi ,
My system specs

Ryzen 5 3600x with arctic 7x cpu cooler
Motherboard b550-a Asus
Ddr4 2666mhz overclocked to 2800mhz
Rtx 2060 zotac gaming 6gb
Hdd 7200rpm
Ssd nvme gigabyte 512gb
1 intake dc fan,
1 exhaust pwm fan
550w power supply bronze thermal take
m-ATX casing

vwge7BT.jpg

Why does my cpu temps were so high during gaming session? Refer to attached pictures
Does my cpu cooler not seated correctly?

Seems very hot to me, even considering the poor airflow of the case. How bad is the idle temps? High idle temps (or very quick climb under moderate load) usually means poor mounting pressure to me. Ryzen should idle at 30-40 deg with peaks to 50ish. 60ish on idle is possible, but with stock cooler. Try remounting the cooler, and replace thermal paste while you're at it if not already done.

I also have relatively high ambient (27 deg at night, small 30s during the day) but I never saw 80+ even with old style PC case. Airflow certainly helps, but not 20 degrees difference AFAIK. I might be wrong on that. To see if airflow benefits, and by how much, leave the side panel open while gaming and see the temps after the fact. A good airflow case should benefit very little (like 1-2 deg), or even have worse (again, by 1-2c) with open side panel.

Not sure if this helps, but 3600 (and X) runs around 70 high under sustained, maximum load with a Hyper 212X or equivalent (basically anything that's a single tower 120mm fan heatsink). My main rig runs 77 deg at max with a Gammaxx, and that was under OCCT. Gaming gives me 60ish degree with AC:Odyssey.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Unless you going to leave sides off, you still need a better case. Just so the aio can actually get fresh air as in picture, its source of air is rest of PC. Water isn't perfect, it just takes longer to heat up but it also takes longer to cool down once its saturated. So it might be cool at first but if its sucking in hot air from GPU its going to get hot.

buy a case where you can mount that as intake and temps will stay low for longer. Its going to be warm regardless but using it as exhaust in top of case means it also inhales the heat from GPU into radiator. Its doing unnecessary work. Intake means it gets the air from outside case which should be a little cooler than inside case.