Question ryzen 5 3600x paired with 1660super 16gb dual channel ram 3200hz Low performance.

SSSalo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
Hey guys and gals, i recently bought a prebuilt system. Since my previous pc for 4years has been a laptop with i7-6700HQ + 960m i couldnt take the horrible performance anymore. Although my initial experience with the new system has been good i think its underperforming.
When i check multiple diffrent channels' performance footage with the same specs as me on the games i try playing myself i see lower numbers. I will include a benchmark screenshot i made for 1 whole warzone TDM game.

https://ibb.co/qx4n7QF

This benchmark was made while playing on the lowest possible settings for everything except "Particle Quality=Highest", "Anti aliasing=Filmic,highest possible" and resolution scale 100% with resolution 1920x1080.

AS you can see my average fps is about 10-15 lower than what everyone else seems to get with the same specs. Also my %1low and 0.1% lows are horribly low compared to everyone else.

This pc was purchased prebuilt, the only thing i did was to put in the video card since they ship it out of the case to prevent damage in shipment process.

All the drivers are up to date. Using windows 10 pro, also using window's ultimate performance power plan. nothing except discord open in the background and discord overlay + hardware acceleration is turned off.
I would love your opinion on this matter, what am i doing wrong? Thank you very much in advance!

SSSalo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
Listing the computer's full specs might help.

Maybe run UserBenchmark and share a link to the results page here. That might help indicate if a RAM misconfiguration or something might be hurting performance...

I ran the test, hopefully you can see the link i post;

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/34979295

if the test doesnt show all the specs, the motherboard is a b450m-k. I couldnt think of what other configuration i should add. Let me know if there are more gaps in the info i put out. Thank you.

It looks like your RAM may not be performing quite where it should be. The test says that it's supposedly clocked at DDR4-3200 speed, and that motherboard has two RAM slots and both appear to be filled, so I would expect it to be running in dual channel mode. However, the results appear to be below where they should be for that RAM kit, as indicated by where the arrow is pointing in the graph below the memory kit results, and some other Ryzen 3000 systems seem to be getting better results for that RAM kit.

You should try booting into your motherboard's BIOS settings, and ensuring that the DDR4-3200 XMP profile is enabled (likely called "D.O.C.P." on that motherboard). Otherwise, it might be reverting to a lower speed, or possibly slower timings if the RAM speed was manually configured to DDR4-3200 some other way.

You could also download and run a utility called CPU-Z that will tell us more about your current RAM settings...
On the "Memory tab", you can verify if "Channels" is listed as "Dual" as it should be, and also what speed it is running at. The "DRAM Frequency" should be half your memory speed (so about 1600 MHz for DDR4-3200), and you can also see what CAS latency and other timings your RAM is running at.

SSSalo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
It looks like your RAM may not be performing quite where it should be. The test says that it's supposedly clocked at DDR4-3200 speed, and that motherboard has two RAM slots and both appear to be filled, so I would expect it to be running in dual channel mode. However, the results appear to be below where they should be for that RAM kit, as indicated by where the arrow is pointing in the graph below the memory kit results, and some other Ryzen 3000 systems seem to be getting better results for that RAM kit.

You should try booting into your motherboard's BIOS settings, and ensuring that the DDR4-3200 XMP profile is enabled (likely called "D.O.C.P." on that motherboard). Otherwise, it might be reverting to a lower speed, or possibly slower timings if the RAM speed was manually configured to DDR4-3200 some other way.

You could also download and run a utility called CPU-Z that will tell us more about your current RAM settings...
On the "Memory tab", you can verify if "Channels" is listed as "Dual" as it should be, and also what speed it is running at. The "DRAM Frequency" should be half your memory speed (so about 1600 MHz for DDR4-3200), and you can also see what CAS latency and other timings your RAM is running at.

hey, cpu-z says dual next to channels.
uncore frequency 1596.8
dram frequency 1596.8
FSB DRAM 1:16
CAS latency 16.0 clocks
RAS to CAS delay 20clocks
RAS precharge 20clocks
Cycle time 38clocks
Bank Cycle time 74clocks
command rate 1T

There are some other segments but all of them are greyed out and blank.
DC Mode
Dram Idle Timer
Total CAS
Row to Column

Those memory results actually look fairly normal. The RAM appears to be running at its proper frequency, and in dual-channel mode. The CAS latency is also typical for DDR4-3200.

The other latencies are a little higher than what some RAM kits are capable of, though I don't know exactly what RAM modules those are, since it wasn't specified in the UserBenchmark results, aside from them being ADATA brand. The model number is probably listed on the SPD tab of CPU-Z, but I don't really think those sub-timings would make that much of a difference to frame rates.

I haven't yet played Warzone, so I don't know exactly what performance should be like at those settings on that hardware. Looking up a couple videos, frame rates do appear to be higher, typically over 100, though that's on regular low settings without the changes to AA and particle effects. It's also possible that the Team Deathmatch mode could be more demanding, as I would expect there to be more players nearby throughout the match compared to the battle royale modes. Another possibility is that Discord, or something else running in the background might be affecting frame rates, though I wouldn't expect that to be as much of a concern on a 6-core, 12-thread processor.

Reactions: SSSalo

SSSalo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
Those memory results actually look fairly normal. The RAM appears to be running at its proper frequency, and in dual-channel mode. The CAS latency is also typical for DDR4-3200.

The other latencies are a little higher than what some RAM kits are capable of, though I don't know exactly what RAM modules those are, since it wasn't specified in the UserBenchmark results, aside from them being ADATA brand. The model number is probably listed on the SPD tab of CPU-Z, but I don't really think those sub-timings would make that much of a difference to frame rates.

I haven't yet played Warzone, so I don't know exactly what performance should be like at those settings on that hardware. Looking up a couple videos, frame rates do appear to be higher, typically over 100, though that's on regular low settings without the changes to AA and particle effects. It's also possible that the Team Deathmatch mode could be more demanding, as I would expect there to be more players nearby throughout the match compared to the battle royale modes. Another possibility is that Discord, or something else running in the background might be affecting frame rates, though I wouldn't expect that to be as much of a concern on a 6-core, 12-thread processor.
The performance tests on youtube do also show 1440p performance, mine doesnt even get close to those. Somehow they are able to keep steady 75+fps at 1440p. Tho it does make sense that TDM may be more demanding. Still, cant explain why my 1% and 0.1% fps are absurdly low like i dont see people getting below 50 or 60 0.1%low fps while mine dips to 7ish.
I have OCed the gpu a bit, 200core 600memory, The temps appear to be fine. When i run userbenchmark the gpu also shows "performing above expectations" now and the cpu was never problematic. Im stuck guessing if its the ram or ssd or some windows mess up.

The overclocked benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35097061

I didn't even notice your 0.1% lows when first looking at that. Do you notice any stutter when playing? That could potentially just be during a transition when the game is first loading up or when spawning or something though. Again, I'm not sure on the exact performance characteristics of Warzone.

SSSalo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
I didn't even notice your 0.1% lows when first looking at that. Do you notice any stutter when playing? That could potentially just be during a transition when the game is first loading up or when spawning or something though. Again, I'm not sure on the exact performance characteristics of Warzone.
Initially i thought the lows were during respawn/load too but when i delved a bit deeper, i did notice stutter a few times, Sometimes very big freezes that almost last a second.