Question Ryzen 5 3600x ram support?

Yes, to a degree. That is pretty slow for that CPU. I wouldn't use anything less than 3200mhz unless you have to. If you can't return that RAM, it would probably even be worth selling it and buying another set. You should be able to use just about any 2 x8GB or 2 x16GB set of 3200-3600mhz sticks so long as you are on B450, X470 or X570. It might be a bit trickier if you are on an older chipset like B350 or X370. Be sure you have the latest BIOS update installed as well if you do try to use anything over 2933mhz.

Also, the latest AMD chipset driver.

Using that slower memory WILL have SOME impact on overall performance, but if there are no other options, then it will still "work" until you can maybe make a change at some point down the road.

Reactions: kesuki18

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not every compatible ram will be listed on qvl lists, just no time to test them all and that's including recently released ram after the mobo's debut.

See single vs dual channel. If you can help it, dual channel is important for performance.

Oct 12, 2019
Not every compatible ram will be listed on qvl lists, just no time to test them all and that's including recently released ram after the mobo's debut.

See single vs dual channel. If you can help it, dual channel is important for performance.

Yeah I am going for the dual channel.Currently have the Vengeance LPX 3000mhz 8GB x1 and will add the G.SKILL 3200mhz 8GB x1.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Mixing ram isn't guaranteed and ram will clock down to the lowest component. If you're keeping the Corsair, there's no point buying a single 3200 stick.

Advice is to buy a set. Ram preference for me is also Gskill. 3200 with timing of CL 14. CL 14 being, that these are using Samsung bdie IC chips, chips ram manufacturers use. They're the best but can be a bit more pricey but compatibility and performance is 2nd to none. Other IC chips, ie Micron/Hynix are usually found on higher CL ram from 15+ at speeds of 3000/3200.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, keep same specs to increase your chances. Not just speed, but timings and voltage as well. Even then, there is a chance ram made at different times may not like each other. Ram and motherboards can be sensitive to different materials used over time.

Mixing ram will probably work but there is that chance.

What country are you in?

What is your budget for the memory kit?

I would not advise trying to mix that existing memory module with another stick or kit. On Intel, it would be a roll of the dice as to whether it would work, work in dual channel or not play nice at all.

On Ryzen, it is MORE than likely to not want to play nice at all. It's hard enough to get KITS that were INTENDED for use with the platform to work properly and at the proper speed, much less trying to use mixed sticks or kits and expecting them to play nice together. I don't think it's worth the hassle you will likely end up going through. You could get lucky, but I'm not hopeful based on what I see here every day.

Don't get me wrong, because you CAN mix memory on Ryzen and have success. I can link to two or three threads here where people have done it successfully. The problem is, I can link to about three hundred threads where mixed memory didn't work on 1st, 2nd OR 3rd Gen Ryzen platforms OR where even buying memory that SHOULD work, and WAS purchased in a matched set, wouldn't, and yet another different set of sticks worked fine. Ryzen is fickle when it comes to memory, even with a 3000 series CPU. Especially if you are using said CPU on an older chipset like B450, but even on X570 we've seen fickle-ness as well.

I just think it makes sense to eliminate as many potential road blocks and headaches as possible or you'll end up like me with all your hair turning gray practically overnight. :)

Reactions: kesuki18 and boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I just think it makes sense to eliminate as many potential road blocks and headaches as possible or you'll end up like me with all your hair turning gray practically overnight. :)

And isn't that a wonderful gesture, and the whole point of it being, that we (Or most) to the best of our knowledge and experience (most times ;P) offering the best possible advice to prevent such catastrophes. :)

Reactions: kesuki18
I would. It's just better, and less likely to end up with grief. I'd look at something in the 3200mhz range, with a CL latency of no more than 16, so, CL16, CL14. Try to avoid sticks that have a CL15/CAS 15 primary CAS latency. Ryzen also doesn't particularly like odd numbered timings. It seems to be MORE reliable to go with sticks that have something like 16, 16, 16 or 16-18-18 etc.