[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600x reached 90 celcius

Feb 8, 2020
I bought and installed Corsair H45 and after 4-5 games max temp was 56 celcius. SOLVED!

Last edited:
Solution
Assuming you fully replaced thermal paste when you reinstalled the cooler?
What case and case fans do you have?

The stock cooler is perfectly suitable for stock clocks, but your surrounding environment has a big impact.

For example, you will naturally need improved cooling in smaller form factors, and also if your ambient room temp is above average. For every degree your room is above normal ambient, you'll be a degree hotter under load. If you have a hotter ambient environment, then improved coolers can be required.

What temps do your other components reach?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

The stock cooler is perfectly suitable for stock clocks, but your surrounding environment has a big impact.

For example, you will naturally need improved cooling in smaller form factors, and also if your ambient room temp is above average. For every degree your room is above normal ambient, you'll be a degree hotter under load. If you have a hotter ambient environment, then improved coolers can be required.

Solution
Feb 8, 2020

Corsair carbide 175r rgb case
With one intake fan (pre installed)

I checked bios and PBO was on by default. I turned it off so cores wouldn't exceed 3.8ghz. played 3 games with side panel open and max temp reached 61 as compared to 90 earlier.

Yesterday played 3 games with case panel closed and it reached max temp of 71 compared to 61 earlier.

I just now ordered Corsair H45 cooler and will see how temperature reacts. If needed will get extra fans for intake and exhaust. But i hope i dont need them after installing cooler.

My room temperature must be around 22-25 as its winters.

Thanks

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Corsair carbide 175r rgb case
With one intake fan (pre installed)

I checked bios and PBO was on by default. I turned it off so cores wouldn't exceed 3.8ghz. played 3 games with side panel open and max temp reached 61 as compared to 90 earlier.

Yesterday played 3 games with case panel closed and it reached max temp of 71 compared to 61 earlier.

I just now ordered Corsair H45 cooler and will see how temperature reacts. If needed will get extra fans for intake and exhaust. But i hope i dont need them after installing cooler.

My room temperature must be around 22-25 as its winters.

Thanks
Did you peel the plastic off the heatsink before you installed it?

I just got a 3600 so I know what you're talking about. You want to use ryzen master to check temps. There are a few threads here about the 3600 and heat. The good thing is AMD states the max temp is 95 and you didn't exceed that. My 3600 goes to low 70s. I'm running a wraith prism and 6 case fans. So I feel what you're saying.

Feb 8, 2020
I just got a 3600 so I know what you're talking about. You want to use ryzen master to check temps. There are a few threads here about the 3600 and heat. The good thing is AMD states the max temp is 95 and you didn't exceed that. My 3600 goes to low 70s. I'm running a wraith prism and 6 case fans. So I feel what you're saying.
I turned off the pc as soon as i saw 90-91 as max so cant confirm if it could have surpassed 95 or not and yes i did use ryzen master along with core temp. Both were in sync give or take 1-2 degrees.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I would remove the cooler. Clean off the old thermal paste and buy a tube of aftermarket paste and re install the cooler. I have a 3700x. I use an Hyper 212 Black edition RGB. My temps stay between 53 to 60 C max under load. Good luck.

Feb 8, 2020
I would remove the cooler. Clean off the old thermal paste and buy a tube of aftermarket paste and re install the cooler. I have a 3700x. I use an Hyper 212 Black edition RGB. My temps stay between 53 to 60 C max under load. Good luck.
I have stock cooler and i have ordered Corsair H45 so i am awaiting on it and i believe it shall solve the issue :)

I haven't hit temps in the 90s, but did recently upgrade to a 3600. My 1700x used to top out mid 60s to about 70 overclocked. My 3600 stock can get to 70-72ish. All my temps were with a wraith prism and a case with 6 fans. 3 intake, 3 exhaust. 2 of those on top directly above the cpu.