Question Ryzen 5 3600x temperatures...

Jan 16, 2020
Hello.
I've been reading forums for the last days, I haven't found some answers I need.
Ok, yet another ryzen 3000 series temperatures issue.
My processor: Ryzen 5 3600X
MB: Asus Tuf Gaming 570x plus wifi
Stock Cooler for the ryzen
everything is brand new so nothing like dust should be an issue

All temps are great, air flow is great. The problem is CPU temperature during greater loads. I do understand the random 10-15 degrees oscilations whle for example opening an website are as supposed to be. The problem is eventually (playing games, running benchmarks, or eventually without a real explanation it rises a lot, surpassing the 75c barrier, and if I run benchmarks I have to stop after 2-3 minutes because it WILL reach 95c.

Usual tempos (ryzen master) are:
Completely idle: 42-45c
Doing light things (moving the mouse, opening a website, viewing photos etc): 42-65c
Gaming: 55-85c
Running benchmarks: Up to 95c

Now, if I understand correctly what AMD tried to do with 3000 series is automatizing overclock: if your system is capable of sustaining a boost, a boost is given. And therefore running with stock cooler high temps under heavy loaded are excpected. I believe my temps are higher than expected, but anyways...I am a complete newbie when it comes to handling hardware so I didn't try to reseat the cooler (don't think it's the problem though), and I currently don't have the budget to buy things like good thermal paste or aftermarket cooler.

The point is I don't really agree with this design because I believe it gives a little more performance at the cost of losing durability (I'm sure constantly reaching 80c-95c will bring long term damage to the cpu...can it affect whole MB?), not to mention eventually it will lead to frequent resets due to temperature at 95c which is not ideal for gaming.

So what I'm trying to do is to make the processor boost it's performance at a slower rate. I've read reducing the voltage is the worst way to do it. What I have done so far was to reduce the PPT via the ryzen master. It was set to 128W, and I noticed while running Cinebench it would keep at 70% (so ~90W) and temperatures reach 88, 89, 90c and increasing...So I reduced to 70W (~22% decrease) and the temperature reacher 77, 78c and increasing and score was 10% lower.
The problem, as I see it, is the "and increasing". Again, if I understand AMD performance boost correctly, it keeps increasing because it thinks the limit is 95 so there is space for boosting (or, if already running on power limit, in the last case 70W), at least it doesn't reduce the clock to reduce the temperature, because it thinks "hey, it's safe until 95c".
Question 1: I would like to make it consider that the magic number is, say, 85c, and from this temperature on it would reduce its performance to protect the hardware longevity (without sacrificing any performance while running idle/small load), but without shutting down when reaching 85, the limit would still be 95, just their "underclock algorythms" would kick in 10c sooner. Is that possible? How?
Question 2: Does the above reasoning makes sense considering my priorities? (don't lose performance unless it is to protect the system from what I consider unsafe temperatures) Or is there a better way to achieve it short term (while I can't change the cooler)?
Question 3: Any other suggestion? I'm asking this because most stuff I read on the subject was from July/August so maybe there are currently better ways to solve these problems.

This is funny, I've never had problems with CPU temps, usually it was the opposite, GPU reaching 80c and CPU at 50ish, now GPU hardly reaches 55 and CPU could easily reach 3 digits if I don't take action.

Thanks and sorry for the big text

Hey there,

No apologies needed. Your post is very descriptive, and helps for us to figure out the issue :)

IMO, i think it's most likely a pretty simple problem. Although the other things you are trying might help short term, they are not the solution to the problem.

I would say it's the cooler. It's very possible it's not seated correctly. If even one corner is out, it can cause the higher temps you are experiencing. Your temps are roughly 10-15c higher than they should be. Typically your temps should be around 30-35c idle, 45-65 gaming, and 65-80c stress load.

I'd start with looking at your cooler again, and seeing as your doing that, it's best to apply thermal paste again too. Quality thermal paste will only cost $10-15. Re-apply thermal paste and make sure the cooler 'clicks' in on all four corners when replacing the cooler on to the mobo. Be gentle with it, so you don't damage the mobo.

Are you overclocking the CPU? If so that would account for the higher temps also.
The Wraith stock cooler, is normally fine for Ryzen CPU's, but getting an aftermarket cooler for about $40 is also an option. There are some slightly better performing coolers out there that would be better than the stock cooler. But, I'm not dissing the stock cooler in anyway. AMD make by far the best stock coolers for their CPU's. You can even moderately overclock with them.

The high temps are either a result of poor case airflow, which you can prove by running with the side panel off, or they are the result of an improperly seated cpu cooler.

There's nothing wrong with the stock cooler...it will do the job it was designed to do if installed correctly...but you will see higher temps than running even a relatively cheap after market cooler like the 212 Black.

I would suggest removing the side panel and seeing if temps are better...if so address your case air flow. If case airflow isn't the issue then remove, clean, and re-seat the cpu cooler with some fresh thermal paste.

Also turning off PBO if you're using it will help lower temps until you address the cooling issue.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

narkotrafic

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
im not sure if it's possible with AMD's stock cooler, and if u was building your PC by yourself, but when i bought my first computer, the guy who was responsible for setting everything up forgot to tear off sticker on foundation of heatsink and just put it on the CPU. I was wondering why my temps were much higher than it should be, and when i decided to check for the issues, i was really surprised. ofcourse in your case, it's not likely the problem, but i didn't expect it aswell.

Jan 16, 2020
H, thanks for the replies.
A friend of mine was the one who built it, he also does not have much experience, I will try to find a thermal paste to look into it, I just fear not being able to assemble it back though.
The airflow is fine, I run 5 fans on the case at full speed, you can see the cool air blowing off the case and gpu/hdd temps are very low.

What ambient temps do you guys have? This is something I forgot to mention, looks like it makes a difference too because yesterday the ambient temp was around 25C, and the idle temps got 3c lower (it's been around 35c ambient almost everyday here).

No overclock here.

I'm using ryzen master to read the temps, is it safe though? I'm asking this because I only seem to get very hot temp readings there mainly when using multithread-intensive applications (because it considers average os all sensors in average of last readings, or something), but then, when i'm playing on cemu for example, it only uses 2 threads, but always at max frequency, and the temperatures are max 68c, but it makes me wonder, if it runs at max frequency and it is an average, doesn't it mean one core is 95c and others are 50c? could these local peaks of temperature be dangerous? I don't know much about physics aswell hehe.

I think the main issue is still that, although AMD says it's ok to go up until 95, I really don't want that. Long term I plan to change the cooler (just because I don't like numbers > 80c), but short term I'm willing to restrict it if necessary. I just want the peace of mind to be able to play my games without being paranoid about temps all the time, I think sacrificing a bit of performance for that is a good deal, but that's just my opinion.