[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600x temperatures

Jan 20, 2021
Hi and sorry if this kind of question was asked a million times already.

I have a r5 3600x (everything's at stock settings) with CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. I have 4 case fans, my thermal paste is reapplied and my cooler is remounted.
Now, I am a little worried about my temperatures. I get 40-50 in idling, 50-60 while browsing/watching videos, 68-80 in less demanding games like Overwatch and 80-89 in something like AC: Odyssey/Cyberpunk. What I also don't really understand, is that temps are lower in CPU stress tests: 75 in AIDA, 82 in Cinebench and 80 in OCCT.

Just how bad these are? If I'm perfectly fine with the noise level, is it ok to leave it as is?

Solution
Yeah, just stock 3600x, didn't change anything regarding voltages/frequency.

Well, it mostly stays in 80-84 zone in Odyssey, but I often see spikes up to 89. Guess it just how these cpu work?
unfortunately yes, I did an overkill with mounting a dark rock 4, much better temps/noise since then
But the temps you posted will not harm your cpu

I have a r5 3600x with CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. I have 4 case fans, my thermal paste is reapplied and my cooler is remounted.
Now, I am a little worried about my temperatures. I get 40-50 in idling, 50-60 while browsing/watching videos, 68-80 in less demanding games like Overwatch and 80-89 in something like AC: Odyssey/Cyberpunk. What I also don't really understand, is that temps are lower in CPU stress tests: 75 in AIDA, 82 in Cinebench and 80 in OCCT.

Just how bad these are? If I'm perfectly fine with the noise level, is it ok to leave it as is?
hello and welcome to the forums

I take it, you are running the cpu at stock? or do you have an oc/infinity fabric/etc running
Overall the temps seem fine by me,i havbe a 3600 myself (non x) and those temps seem fine

Jan 20, 2021
I take it, you are running the cpu at stock? or do you have an oc/infinity fabric/etc running

Yeah, just stock 3600x, didn't change anything regarding voltages/frequency.

depends on ambient too, but i see from 44 to 60 most days just idling/light use (videos etc)

anything below 85c is fine

Well, it mostly stays in 80-84 zone in Odyssey, but I often see spikes up to 89. Guess it just how these cpu work?

I have a r5 3600x (everything's at stock settings) with CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. I have 4 case fans, my thermal paste is reapplied and my cooler is remounted.

Is your ambient temperature really high? Maybe refit the heatsink as it should do a better job than that

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is for up to AM3 CPUs. Works with AM4 too with upgraded mount, but not the best match IMHO. However temperatures you mentioned are perfectly normal for Zen2 and Zen3 CPUs. In which direction case fans are blowing? Ideal airflow in your configuration should look like this.

ideal.png

I did an overkill with mounting a dark rock 4, much better temps/noise since then

Not an overkill at all. Especially if you like quiet room. My nephew's 3600X also lives under Dark Rock 4. Highest CPU temperature I noticed in his PC, was 68C in games.

Reactions: Quanticriver

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
Do you have a fresh thermal paste?

60 degrees when watching videos seems bad to me. It is not harmfull but thats what i get when playing league/streaming,

Or a cheap thermal paste maybe? There is definitely something wrong! But it wont hurt your CPU, just above the normal temperatures

Colif

Win 11 Master
Depends where they live, I was seeing 60 last few days idling, as its summer here and well, temps vary. Unless you have good A/C the chances of keeping PC cool if its over 35C outside are difficult.
Not looking forward to Monday, 39C... think I just leave PC off until night. My AIO fans will be loud that day. Since its only 14c now my temps are 42-52 at idle.

The real question is, is that just a spike as we all know Ryzen is never same temp, its always changing. It might hit 60 but literally 500ms or less later its dropping again

Alright, thank you guys, that really helped with my paranoia. I shall not be worried unless I see constant 90s.

I agree with 85-90C being expected under extremely heavy processing load, especially with less than great cooling. It's beneficial to keep temp below 80C, though, as lets the processor boost to higher clocks. Really good cooling can be almost like overclocking without overclocking.

One other thing is to make sure you're looking at an average temp. You can get that with HWinfo64. You want to ignore the temp spikes that happen with core boosting because that's not really an indicator of the CPU's thermal state. The average temp reading will do that for you.

Hyper212's were OK once but there are lot better coolers now, you might consider an upgrade soon if it's that hot with an average reading in your common useage scenarios.

RyzenMaster also reports an average temp reading.

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
i have hwinfo showing values in taskbar but i hadn't thought to only show average, i would watch it move up and down all day, now it just shows 51 all the time. I watch core temps, not package

helps to change polling rate in settings to 500 as then you get more accurate movements. Click set once you change it as clicking okay won't set the timing.
minimum of 36c today, max of 74c at boot. Normal.

Reactions: drea.drechsler