[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600x The issue dealing with high temp and voltage

Aug 22, 2020
I've tried updating AMD Chipset Drivers, the BIOS of my MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX and drivers, tried using Ryzen Balanced Power Plan and Windows Balanced Power Plan with no difference at all. The only thing worked was setting the minimum and maximum processor state both to %99 (minimum was already %99, the only thing i've changed is the maximum cpu state from %100 to %99) in Ryzen Balanced Power Plan advanced settings which fixed random cpu speed/fan speed/voltage/temperature spikes but now my cpu is acting kinda weird. As far as I'm concerned this fixed many of the problems i had with the cpu up until now but something feels off, maybe it's my paranoia. With the clocking being auto it (base clock being 3.8) stays on 3725 Mhz and does not move at all and also the cpu usage during gaming went from %35-40 to %50-60. Before setting the maximum processor power state to %99 i used to get 70-75 C during gaming with low cpu usage (%25-40) and clock speed going up +4000 Mhz. Did I do something wrong and what can I do to fix cpu clock speed being stuck at 3725 Mhz?

Solution
1)Restore everything to their defaults. EVERYTHING, because you're just making a mountain out of a molehill.
-bios optimized defaults
-Ryzen balanced power plan
-restore the cpu power state

2)If you are using the Ryzen stock cooler, does your chassis have a side intake above it? If not, you need a new cooler.
Top-down area coolers really need side intakes.

3)Load thermals are 80C and below? Then all's good.
Ignore idle thermals. They do not matter. Ryzen 3000 is a different beast and should not be compared to any other cpu.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Restore everything to their defaults. EVERYTHING, because you're just making a mountain out of a molehill.
-bios optimized defaults

2)If you are using the Ryzen stock cooler, does your chassis have a side intake above it? If not, you need a new cooler.

Ignore idle thermals. They do not matter. Ryzen 3000 is a different beast and should not be compared to any other cpu.

Solution
Aug 22, 2020
-bios optimized defaults

I've had people telling me that CPU working at 70-75C is bad for both CPU and motherboard in the long run, Is this a myth or should I take this statement seriously?

As for the BIOS, every optimization of the CPU is default (auto mostly) but there is a weird thing with the BIOS as well. Some people say that updating the BIOS is necessary since the update will fix these temp, voltage, and cpu clock speed spiking up and down in a second or two so i did that. But before updating the BIOS, I installed AMD chipset drivers from the official support page and after restarting the pc it fixed the high idle temps voltage etc. After updating the BIOS it went back to its normal state where spikes occured in temps/volt for a period of time (for like twenty minutes or half an hour). Can you explain why did that happen if you can?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020
What. The. Heck.
ROFL!
That is hilariously bad advice.

LOL. And about the CPU usage under load; it looks like changing cpu maximum power state had nothing to do with it. My guess is that after the chipset drivers and bios update, the installed softwares help better utilize the CPU or something like that. Not so sure about that though, not really an expert on the subject. I would appreciate any help or advice dealing with these things. By the way thanks for the information, I appreciate it

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's best if you just left the settings to auto and the power plan to balanced. That cpu isn't anything like other cpus before - it has more in common with Nvidia's gpus. Well, 10 series to the current product series, anyway.
It will try to push for higher frequencies on its own if the thermal headroom is there - to an extent, of course. There's 2 limiters: power, and thermal. Most users run into the latter long before the former.
With significant enough cooling, only power limits stand in the way of determining how far the cpu will try to boost.

These cpus seem to like the number 80C. I've seen enough threads mentioning this that I assume this must be the thermal threshold where the cpu stops trying to push for higher clocks.
This is why I know that advice about 70-75C being bad is wrong.

So yeah - default settings, balanced power plan, and get a stronger cooler if you're using the Wraith. That should be all you need to do.

Reactions: hankrsh