Question Ryzen 5 3600x to hot!

Oct 15, 2020
I have a ryzen 5 3600x with the stock cooler and it has a idol of 60c and maxes up under heavy load at around 85c. Anything to help me out??? Also I believe it is on max boost. My motherboard is a prime b450M- A. Should I buy a after market cooler?

Furzumz

Upstanding
May 28, 2020
That sounds about normal. People on the internet are reporting similar temperatures for that processor with the stock cooler

Those temperatures won't destroy your CPU but a better cooler would prolong its lifespan longer. And would probably be quieter. Stock coolers are typically designed to be "good enough" and not much more due to cost reasons so I wouldn't expect much from them

Reactions: kurdtnz

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
I have a ryzen 5 3600x with the stock cooler and it has a idol of 60c and maxes up under heavy load at around 85c. Anything to help me out??? Also I believe it is on max boost. My motherboard is a prime b450M- A. Should I buy a after market cooler?
It is worth reseating your cooler with fresh thermal paste to check that it is cooling properly.

You will get higher temps with it on max boost.
I find that PBO on Auto gives the best performance and temperatures on my 3700X with the stock cooler.

Andy

Yeah the stock coolers are not the best for the 3600X. I was getting the same temperatures with my Ryzen 5 3600s stock cooler. I went to a Hyper 212 EVO Black Edition and those temps came down drastically. I now max out at like 70-75C under load LOL.

ASK THE COMMUNITY