[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600x vs Ryzen 7 3700x?

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
I am planning to buy a new gaming PC this coming July. What CPU should I choose if I want it to last for around 5 years? I do mainly gaming and maybe some casual streaming. I will get a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM. I will use my old gtx 1070 for my new PC then will buy a RTX 2070 super this december.

Solution
I mean. How long it would last that it is still a fast CPU for most games?

There should be new consoles on the street by the end of this year, and those will certainly change in some ways how games get deveolped and writed. Its imposible to know how will that impact on PC gaming, it will, but its no posible to know.

It "seems" we are moving from fast single core performance to more core/threads, yet single core performance will still be important in the next years, so not AMD nor Intel will sudenly drop thier CPU frecuency.

With all this in mind, and once again not knowing anything cause you didn't even named 1 single game or type of game you like to play, you also didn't talk about resolution or refresh rate, all we can say...
I am planning to buy a new gaming PC this coming July. What CPU should I choose if I want it to last for around 5 years? I do mainly gaming and maybe some casual streaming. I will get a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM. I will use my old gtx 1070 for my new PC then will buy a RTX 2070 super this december.

If you are looking for a long life span the 3700X is possibly worth looking at - the next gen consoles are due out around the end of the year and both are using effectively a 3700X so I think games going forward are going to use 8 cores / 16 threads. The other option is save a bit of money now and go with the Ryzen 5 (as it's plenty for the time being and probably for a couple of years) and then look at upgrading the cpu in the future. AMD are really good for providing motherboard updates and they have confirmed the Ryzen 4000 series will be on the same socket, so you could potentially get a Ryzen 4000 series 12 or 16 core cpu in a couple of years time once the prices have dropped (prices on older Ryzen cpu's have come down quite a lot, for example you can get the last gen Flagship 2700X for under £200 now).

Reactions: RodroX and Owsow
So it is more like if I have budget go for 3700x, if I am trying to save money go for 3600X. How many years will the ryzen 5 lasts?
We can’t say how long and it also depends on your expectations. Some people still use 5+ year old CPU’s today, other people may have had multiple upgrades in that time. However 3-5 years seems a reasonable guess using the last 10 years of gaming as a baseline.

Yesterday a friend of mine with a tight budget asked me what should he buy to replace its old Phenom II X4 925, I didn't knew he was still using it, but thats a 11 year old CPU, so as many pointed out it all depends.

Where we live, we usually don't have many option, now with the quarantine and all the borders closed its even more hard to get what you want. For example, he wanted a Ryzen 7 2700, which for what he does is overkill, problem is theres no where to find one, or if you do the price is insane.
So I told him to go take a look at a few benchmarks and he realized that even a Ryzen 3 1200 will be a huge step foward over what he have. So it all depends on what you do, what you play, etc.

Anyways long story short, he finally decided to go with the Ryzen 5 2600 + a decent X570 mobo, which should arrive tomorrow and he think that will be good for many, many years, but he also now knows that perhaps in 2 years he can get a dirty cheap Ryzen 7 3700X/4700X,and replace it without issues.

Last edited:

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
We can’t say how long and it also depends on your expectations. Some people still use 5+ year old CPU’s today, other people may have had multiple upgrades in that time. However 3-5 years seems a reasonable guess using the last 10 years of gaming as a baseline.

There should be new consoles on the street by the end of this year, and those will certainly change in some ways how games get deveolped and writed. Its imposible to know how will that impact on PC gaming, it will, but its no posible to know.

It "seems" we are moving from fast single core performance to more core/threads, yet single core performance will still be important in the next years, so not AMD nor Intel will sudenly drop thier CPU frecuency.

With all this in mind, and once again not knowing anything cause you didn't even named 1 single game or type of game you like to play, you also didn't talk about resolution or refresh rate, all we can say is get the fastest and higher core/thread count CPU you can, and it should be good enough for the next years, how many years?, its not posible to know.

The rule thats applied to PC gaming build is quite simple spend X for the CPU and ~2X for the GPU.
So the Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX 2070 Super seems about right.

Intel will also have new CPUs on the street very soon (lets hope), from the looks they will be a bit cheaper than before and they will all have HT enable, but they will need a bit more power to work. So thats another option there to keep in mind if you fancy the blue team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Owsow
Solution

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
There should me new consoles on the street by the end of this year, and those will certainly change in some ways how games get deveolped and writed. Its imposible to know how will that impact on PC gaming, it will, but its no posible to know.

With all this in mind, and once again not knowing anything cause you didn't even named 1 single game or type of game you like to play, you also didn't talk about resolution or refresh rate, all we can say is get the fastest and higher core/thread count CPU you can, and it should be good enough for the next years, how many years?, its not posible to know.

The rule thats applied to PC gaming build is quite simple spend X for the CPU and ~2X for the GPU.
So the Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX 2070 Super seems about right.

Intel will also have new CPUs on the street very soon (lets hope), from the looks they will be a bit cheaper than before and they will all have HT enable, but they will need a bit more power to work. So thats another option there to keep in mind if you fancy the blue team.

Thanks. I game at 2560x1440 with 60hz but I am planning to upgrade to 144hz. I mostly play single games like RE3, Assassins Creed, etc. Then I want to play warzone my current PC is lagging for it lmao.

Current specs:
i5 4670k
gtx 1070
8gb ram