Question Ryzen 5 3600XT and GTX 1050Ti and 100% load when gaming

maticlukezic007

Commendable
Aug 13, 2018
Hello, I just upgraded my CPU to Ryzen 5 3600 XT. I updated all drivers to their latest and when I tried to run CSGO(I play at 4:3 all low settings because I'm used to playing like that) my CPU went to 100% load in the menu screen and GPU was at 40-60%, then I tried Rocket League and my CPU was at 100% and GPU was at 100%. I also tried Fortnite, there my CPU load was 50-60% and GPU at 100%.

I don't know if this is good or bad for my CPU. When I play the game, frames don't drop or anything...I'm just worried that when I try to play some games my CPU will be at 100% load.

My friend has CPU Ryzen 5 3600 and RX 5700 GPU and his CPU usage is much lower in those games that I listed above.

I will also upgrade my GPU asap when they will be available. If maybe the GPU is the problem.

My specs:
Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x DDR4 8GB 2666mhz(with XMP enabled) CL16
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are asking it for as many frames as possible. In CS:GO you are CPU bound, meaning the game itself is the limit, not the graphics. In Fortnite, you are GPU bound. If you were to lower the Fortnite settings, you would have the same 'problem'

100% CPU usage isn't bad, just says that with a faster CPU, the game engine could run faster. Same with the GPU.

Your friend has a much faster GPU, so that will mean he can get away with higher settings and still get the same FPS performance from any particular game engine. Or conversely, he could run at the same settings as you, and with his CPU get about the same results.

maticlukezic007

Commendable
Aug 13, 2018
You are asking it for as many frames as possible. In CS:GO you are CPU bound, meaning the game itself is the limit, not the graphics. In Fortnite, you are GPU bound. If you were to lower the Fortnite settings, you would have the same 'problem'

100% CPU usage isn't bad, just says that with a faster CPU, the game engine could run faster. Same with the GPU.

Your friend has a much faster GPU, so that will mean he can get away with higher settings and still get the same FPS performance from any particular game engine. Or conversely, he could run at the same settings as you, and with his CPU get about the same results.

I don't know why but around 15min when I posted this thread, my windows froze and rebooted. Then I couldn't go into the windows because I had a blue screen...And then the PC just turned off, and powered back on and I had CPU red light on my motherboard...Something went bad in windows I guess?

I then reinstalled windows and installed drivers again, went to CSGO all setting were the same and my CPU is at 20% and GPU around 60%..And in Rocket League my CPU was at about 30% and GPU 100%...I don't know what was wrong but I think that it's working fine now.

Thanks for the reply :D

maticlukezic007

Commendable
Aug 13, 2018
Stop staring at % load levels? :)

CPU and GPU load vary massively with the complexity of the game, level of graphic detail/texture/quality/AA filtering, etc...

You can't 'fix' it.
Yeah but it was weird that my CPU went from 3% to 100% when I opened the game..

I reinstalled windows and now when I play the game, my CPU doesn’t go over 50%. So it was something with Windows probably. CPU can’t be at 100% all the time when gaming especially if it’s new. GPU doesn’t bother me if it’s at 100%.

TRENDING THREADS