[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600XT Temp spikes (40c-49c) at idle

MarkB94

Prominent
Oct 6, 2020
I just built a new computer with a Ryzen 5 3600XT and noticed that my fans would spin up and down again about every 10 seconds. After watching the temperatures and utilization using Core Temp and task manager, I can see that the temperature instantly spikes from 40c to 49c without any utilization increases, the fans will spin up and it will go back down to 40c for a couple of seconds before spiking again. However the weird part is that it doesn't happen while I'm watching videos or listening to music and the temperature stays at sub 45c. I'm using the stock cooler with the pre-applied thermal paste and not overclocking, although the CPU is running at 4.25Ghz when the base clock speed is supposed to be 3.6Ghz.

Is this a potential sign of problems with the CPU? I don't mind about the fans spinning up, I know how to fix that.

My specs:
Motherboard: MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x DDR4 8GB 3200mhz(with XMP enabled)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 4GB

Solution
It is totally normal for Ryzen's temps and speeds to jump all over the place. ''Idle'' is quite a relative term as the cpu is continuously doing things in the background, more important is what temp the cpu hits while under load. Others can explain this process way better than me. Although the stock fans for Ryzen's are 'adequate,' many people,myself included, find the constant ramping up and down really annoying so have invested in an after market cooler.
It is totally normal for Ryzen's temps and speeds to jump all over the place. ''Idle'' is quite a relative term as the cpu is continuously doing things in the background, more important is what temp the cpu hits while under load. Others can explain this process way better than me. Although the stock fans for Ryzen's are 'adequate,' many people,myself included, find the constant ramping up and down really annoying so have invested in an after market cooler.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution